Show us your Hippo pictures

Paul T

South Luangwa 2015

post-48344-0-06288800-1437686271_thumb.jpeg

Serengeti 2006

post-48344-0-96507700-1437686640_thumb.jpg

Manyara, March 2013.

We enjoyed a good hour or more (just us and our guide) watching some 50+ hippos wallowing in the mud, in and out, and just doing what it is they do. Then a bit of disturbance developed. Funny thing is it reminded us of our two boys, the younger (or in this case smaller hippo) pushing the older (larger hippo) until he simply had enough. This first pic is of the larger scooping and flinging mud at the smaller...

DSC_7715%20%282%29%20%28640x424%29-M.jpg

After several mud slings to no avail they began showing who had the largest mouth and teeth...

DSC_7718%20%282%29%20%28640x424%29-M.jpg

And then show turned to engagement. Amazing their strength and agility... and toughness

DSC_7734%20%282%29%20%28640x424%29-M.jpg

Each of these were shot with a Nikon D7000 with 500mm f4 prime. As a small crop sensor the effective focal length was 750. Auto f/5.6, 1/500sec, ISO 200, hand held. New to photography. By all means let me know if this is too much or too little information.

Peter Connan

Very nice sighting @@GBE!

Well done!

KaingU Lodge

Found a few more lying around on the hard drive.

From the Hippo Hide at Kaingo, 2008. Snoozing one minute, very grumpy the next...

Stunning.

• 3 weeks later...
KaingU Lodge

Kind of standard 3 hippo shot from a couple of weeks back:

EOS10449.jpg

~ @@KaingU Lodge

That's such a pleasing composition.

It appeals to me as there's an unexpected serenity which I wouldn't typically associate with hippos.

Very, very nice!

Tom K.

KaingU Lodge

~ @@KaingU Lodge

That's such a pleasing composition.

It appeals to me as there's an unexpected serenity which I wouldn't typically associate with hippos.

Very, very nice!

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

Thankyou Tom. I hear you on the serenity. Especially as the week before I had to spend a day repairing an aluminium boat that got bitten by a hippo! Nobody was hurt and our guide did a fantastic job in the situation, but they are deceptive animals.

• 1 month later...

No surprise that hippos are dangerous, look at those teeth

post-43899-0-83827900-1443087212_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Makes quite a large canoe really look bite-sized.......

untitled-shoot-10029-1024x683.jpg

untitled-shoot-10005-1024x683.jpg

What a set of dentures!

They take some big chunks out of each other as well!

Busanga Plains, Kafue. Last month.

DSC_0855.jpg

~ @@AfricIan

That's quite an extraordinary image!

You pushed the shutter button at the ideal moment.

The bent front legs of the hippo on the left so powerfully express how it's rearing up in its challenge.

The ultimate ‘Winning Through Intimidation’ image!

It makes one think of how many billions of times scenes like this have occurred on Earth with species long extinct.

Thank you for a remarkable image.

Tom K.

Thanks for the complement Tom ( @@Tom Kellie ), much appreciated. As you can imagine I've got "quite a few" photographs taken over the 15 mins or so that we were close to the action and I think this one captures the moment so well.

Remarkably though, if my "picture trail" tells the truth, it was the the hippo on the right that was the eventual winner of the conquest. I know "the picture never lies" but it can certainly be a little misleading at times!

@@AfricIan

That sir is an awesome image, you should be a very happy man with that. The only down side is how could you possibly better it.

@@AfricIan

That sir is an awesome image, you should be a very happy man with that. The only down side is how could you possibly better it.

Fully agree!

Thanks for the complement Tom ( @@Tom Kellie ), much appreciated. As you can imagine I've got "quite a few" photographs taken over the 15 mins or so that we were close to the action and I think this one captures the moment so well.

Remarkably though, if my "picture trail" tells the truth, it was the the hippo on the right that was the eventual winner of the conquest. I know "the picture never lies" but it can certainly be a little misleading at times!

~ @@AfricIan

That's a fascinating follow-up comment.

Looking at the image I had no notion of the eventual outcome.

What was striking was how the left hippo folded its front legs at the joints, using the power of its rear legs to loom over the other.

Ha! Ultimately to no avail.

Agree with @@Big Andy that it's a stunning image!

Tom K.

• 1 month later...

post-49296-0-24643300-1452866919_thumb.jpg

In the Secret Hippo Pool

Photographed at 6:22 pm on 2 May, 2015 in Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 12,800, 1/200 sec., f/13, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*****************************************************************************************************

Anthony and I share a secret — we know of a slender hippo pool in Masai Mara which few other guides seem to know, as there are typically no vehicle tracks there. We discovered it together several years ago, when I had a hunch that something might be living near palm trees in a remote area, off the main track.

As we do during each visit to Masai Mara, Anthony drove in to observe ‘our’ hippo pool. Sure enough, several hippo were there, including this one. It's a secret which draws me back to Masai Mara.

• 1 month later...
Peter Muigai.

Date:27/02/2016

Camera: Nikon D3200

Lens: 80-400mm MF

We call him studios guy, always making some amazing poses in the evening. He was at it again yesterday after being away for quite some time. Welcome back kiboko!

post-49772-0-05774800-1456597193_thumb.jpeg

~ @@Peter Muigai.

Ha! “Studios guy”!

That's an apt moniker!

What a detailed image. I've never yet taken such a close image of an open-jawed hippo.

That may suggest that I need to book a return visit to the Emakoko!

Thank you for posting this.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie, I think we need a SafariTalk reunion at the Emakoko!

~ @@amybatt

That sounds like my kind of Safaritalk reunion.

I want to ride with you and @@Peter Muigai., given your favorable results together.

Any stay at the Emakoko is sure to be a blast, both on the game drives and at the lodge!

I miss the “house hyraxes”...

Tom K.

post-48344-0-11371800-1456792444_thumb.jpg

One of my favourite animals to hear on safari this little group were enjoying the cabbage in South Luangwa.

• 4 weeks later...
Peter Muigai.

@ Tom Kellie,

Am delighted you like my hippo photo!

This should be an enough reason for you to book a return trip to Emakoko.

@@amybatt,

A safaritalk reunion would be amazing!

Your all welcome at Emakoko, for this kinda experience and more,

Amy can second me on that