Show us your Hippo pictures

Paul T

melproffit

Botswana 2006. first shot taken from a chopper ride.

Picture 040.jpg

Picture 185.jpg

• 1 year later...

Lower Zambezi, Zambia, way back in 2017
171112-Lower-Zambezi-0601.jpg.143f638eac862f29ef410ee4ae41bdb7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I first contributed some photos to this topic 9 years ago at the time, I only had a free Flickr account and couldn’t upload more photos to it, so I decided to try out another photo storage website called Photobucket, I uploaded a small number of photos there, to post on ST. Then Flickr increased their free storage limit, so I went back to uploading there and now have a pro Flickr account, when they reduced their free storage limit again. In the meanwhile, I just abandoned my Photobucket account, I’ve no idea what my password is and haven’t logged in in years, apparently you now have to pay, at a certain point rather than delete my photos, they slapped a huge watermark across them saying Photobucket completely spoiling them. When this hippo topic came up again, I saw that all the original photos that I added taken in Katavi NP Tanzania, had been messed up by Photobucket’s watermark, so taking the opportunity to edit my posts while I still can, I’ve replaced all of my shots in this thread on page 1, with new unwatermarked versions, which are also bigger than was originally the case. I’ve also added in a couple of extra shots that weren’t there originally.

At the time I took the photos I was still using slide film, digital was unfortunately still in its infancy, so it was too early to want to switch. After I did make the switch to digital I developed a passion for creating stitched panoramas, with film if you were taking prints, you could take overlapping shots and join them together in a photo album, but this never worked as effectively as it does with digital and you couldn’t really create a long continuous panorama, taking slides there was really no point in taking overlapping shots. Just occasionally though, when going through my scanned slides on my PC, I unexpectedly find shots that do overlap by accident rather than design and thus I can create a panorama from them.  Whilst creating the new photos to put into this topic, I noticed a panorama that I’d not spotted before, the two photos joined together almost perfectly, despite having not taken them with intention of creating a panorama since they were slides. This meant I was able to add a panorama of the Ikuu Bridge to my first post, which shows where some of the shots that follow it, were taken from.

By way of contrast with those photos back on page one, here is a more recent shot of hippos taken from Ikuu Bridge 

50344447618_3e0e41d3d5_o.jpg 

For a more direct comparison here are two more Ikuu Bridge shots from 2001 that I hadn't included back on page one

Untitled-Scanned-118.jpg.9138d9f97f5e36aafbfd2ba3739ac2c4.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-122.jpg.3e79258efa428c55a9ea2db3ea28ec4f.jpg

I first contributed some photos to this topic 9 years ago at the time, I only had a free Flickr account and couldn’t upload more photos to it, so I decided to try out another photo storage website called Photobucket, I uploaded a small number of photos there, to post on ST. Then Flickr increased their free storage limit, so I went back to uploading there and now have a pro Flickr account, when they reduced their free storage limit again. In the meanwhile, I just abandoned my Photobucket account, I’ve no idea what my password is and haven’t logged in in years, apparently you now have to pay, at a certain point rather than delete my photos, they slapped a huge watermark across them saying Photobucket completely spoiling them. When this hippo topic came up again, I saw that all the original photos that I added taken in Katavi NP Tanzania, had been messed up by Photobucket’s watermark, so taking the opportunity to edit my posts while I still can, I’ve replaced all of my shots in this thread on page 1, with new unwatermarked versions, which are also bigger than was originally the case. I’ve also added in a couple of extra shots that weren’t there originally.

At the time I took the photos I was still using slide film, digital was unfortunately still in its infancy, so it was too early to want to switch. After I did make the switch to digital I developed a passion for creating stitched panoramas, with film if you were taking prints, you could take overlapping shots and join them together in a photo album, but this never worked as effectively as it does with digital and you couldn’t really create a long continuous panorama, taking slides there was really no point in taking overlapping shots. Just occasionally though, when going through my scanned slides on my PC, I unexpectedly find shots that do overlap by accident rather than design and thus I can create a panorama from them.  Whilst creating the new photos to put into this topic, I noticed a panorama that I’d not spotted before, the two photos joined together almost perfectly, despite having not taken them with intention of creating a panorama since they were slides. This meant I was able to add a panorama of the Ikuu Bridge to my first post, which shows where some of the shots that follow it, were taken from.

By way of contrast with those photos back on page one, here is a more recent shot of hippos taken from Ikuu Bridge 

50344447618_3e0e41d3d5_o.jpg 

For a more direct comparison here are two more Ikuu Bridge shots from 2001 that I hadn't included back on page one

Untitled-Scanned-118.jpg.9138d9f97f5e36aafbfd2ba3739ac2c4.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-122.jpg.3e79258efa428c55a9ea2db3ea28ec4f.jpg

• 3 years later...

Sunset at Sunset Dam, Lower Sabie, Kruger NP:

DSC_9282.jpg.b2927446bfde6b1765a0813bb969fdad.jpg

Nikon Z9, 100-400 +1.4 TC @530mm, f/8, 1/400 sec, ISO 2000