Show us your aardvarks...

Game Warden

Please include a few details, location, camera and lens specs etc.

Thanks, Matt.

Kwara, Okavango Delta

Canon eos 5d MKIIII, ef 300 LIS 2.8 + 1.4 TC

1/800 Sek., f/7.1, ISO 1600

It was a usual safari morning. We left camp being watched by Impala and Zebra, and cruised along.

All of a sudden George, our guide, got busy on the radio. A few seconds later a call: "Hold on guys, an aardvark with a baby was located." So we raced to the spot, where another guide had spotted the elusive animal. The mother was already in its burrow, but the youngster was busy exploring the place, most recently we guess it couldn´t find the entrance to the hole.

We were able to watch the little guy for almost 30 minutes.

What a final drive!

483471_10151284724828544_978487536_n.jpg

What a fantastic sighting!

I am just looking over all these Aardvark shots, I´ve made in these 20 minutes, there are so many nice ones.

I have to sort out those with to many blades.

There will be more coming.

I hope I won´t bore you.

Wow Wild Dogger, those are stunning - gorgeous little creature. Puts mine to shame!

Two shots from me (the only other one I have is a very blurry back end disappearing into a bush that could have been anything!).

EOS40D with Sigma 120-300 f2.8, ISO 1600, f2.8, 1/100 (top) and 1/200 (bottom), -1ev (I've found that dialling in minus a stop of exposure compensation when shooting at night under spotlights reduces the amount of burned out highlights and gives you a shorter shutter speed that means more sharp(ish) shots. You can then bring back the shadow detail when you process the RAW later). Both taken at Limpopo-Lipadi in September this year just yards from camp.

just yards from camp

As RedLeopard suddenly finds himself befriended by hundreds of Safaritalkers wanting to come stay at LL... ;)

I am just looking over all these Aardvark shots, I´ve made in these 20 minutes, there are so many nice ones.

I have to sort out those with to many blades.

There will be more coming.

I hope I won´t bore you.

Never...amazing stuff. So the adult didn't come out?

The youngster is adorable! Not that I would have known that it was one in the absence of the adult aardvark picture! Really lovely shots, Wild Dogger. Please do post all the ones you like. So rare to see daytime images and of this quality.

• 3 weeks later...

Emil, the bush Dyson (Rainbirder ;) )

8296895518_1247ee70da_c.jpg

Canon EOS5d MKIII

ef 300mm lis 2.8 + 1,4 TC

ISO 1600

1/1600s

f/7.1 + 0,67

cropped

Edited by Wild Dogger

Now you are just showing off Thomas... ;)

• 2 months later...
Wild Dogger

Another one from Kwara

gallery_5715_767_200908.jpg

• 5 months later...

I can't compete with Thomas's superb daylight offerings :)

But this is my first and only ever sighting 2 years ago in Sth Luangwa, elated nonetheless! :D

We were on the trail of a leopard we had lost when coming down to the dry river bed we came upon this once in a lifetime sighting,
I immediately told Victor, (after he was uncontrollably shouting mphendwa, mphendwa!!Whoa%21.png) my guide to stop, still keeping the engine running I grabbed a couple of insurance shots in case he took off, we then crawled
the vehicle ahead turned off the engine and got some closer images here, it all happened in a matter of seconds, even Victor got out his phone for some grab shots!biggrin3.gif (showing a black dottinysmile_shy_t.png)
He then trundled off into the scrub never to be seen again.
It was, believe it or not his 3rd sighting in 25 years in the bush but the first time anyone with him had got any images and certainly my first ever encounter!

A privilege and a thrill to see this rarely encountered mammal foraging for termites on the dry Katete riverbed.cheers.gif

D3s 500VR 1/60s f/5.6 ISO3200 Exp-2 2/3 EV & spot meter (using spot light from vehicle as my only light source) I adjusted colour on the aardvark to take down the yellow from spotlight. Cropped around 15%
Katete river bed, Nkwali region, SLNP- Zambia Nov 2011

D31_7948-XL.jpg

I've only seen an aardvark once and sure enough it was on a night drive in South Luangwa Valley National Park. It was something I'll never forget.

• 5 months later...
Game Warden

Let's see some more aardvarks...

madaboutcheetah

I hope one day, I can add to this thread ............. At the moment, never seen one! :)

I hope one day, I can add to this thread ............. At the moment, never seen one! :)

Ditto

• 1 month later...
madaboutcheetah

So, who will join Thomas to add to this thread???

One more safari in the bag ......... Alas, my first Aardvark still awaits!!!

Wild Dogger

I will be in Kwara in November, maybe it´s me again :rolleyes:

again a rushed one, Tswalu, 2012

gallery_37950_1001_3450457.jpg

We did have 3 sightings in 4 nights, but this was the best photographic opportunity. Apparently the best time for them there is winter, where all the nocturnal creatures come out early (before it gets dark), including pangolins @@Game Warden ;)

madaboutcheetah

Okay - here's my plan. Next time I'm in Kwando ....... If we find an active Aardvark hole, am going to do an after dinner visit and just hang out there for an hour or two - might that work?

KafueTyrone

A guests photo taken in the Luansanda area of the Kafue National Park last year on one of our Mobile trails. It was super chilled but not the greatest shot!

post-15543-0-69176900-1397744376_thumb.jpg