Show us your aardvarks...

Game Warden

Wild Dogger

Okay - here's my plan. Next time I'm in Kwando ....... If we find an active Aardvark hole, am going to do an after dinner visit and just hang out there for an hour or two - might that work?

Sounds like a plan, Hari <_<

Game Warden
Sounds like a plan, Hari <_<

How the dude and I staked out the aardwolf having already seen them. Did it work? No...

• 1 year later...

At long last I get to post on this thread :) Happy days!

gallery_18242_1317_141441.jpg

and there's more ...

gallery_18242_1317_10490519.jpg

23 aardvark sightings in 10 days :P

gallery_18242_1317_9516163.jpg

Peter Connan

Wow! 23 sightings!

Towlersonsafari

@@bushmaniac not that we are insanely jealous or anything but where!!!??? And indeed when?

Had an amazing time at Tswalu Kalahari last month - 23 aardvark, 2 pangolin, bat-eared foxes, meerkats, aardwolf, african wildcat, caracal, cheetah cubs, wild dog pups, black-maned lions, black and white rhino, sable, roan, kudu, eland .... the list goes on!

Edited by bushmaniac

A couple of the aardvark were so chilled that we just sat down and they carried on feeding, coming to within just a couple of metres!

Had an amazing time at Tswalu Kalahari last month - 23 aardvark, 2 pangolin, bat-eared foxes, meerkats, aardwolf, african wildcat, caracal, cheetah cubs, wild dog pups, black-maned lions, black and white rhino, sable, roan, kudu, eland .... the list goes on!

Really pleased to hear this @@bushmaniac as we will be there at the end of August....

Ps how much weight did you gain??

@@bushmaniac I am so jealous that you saw an aardwolf because it has long been on my list of dream animals. It gives me yet more incentive to visit Tswalu, Kalahari camp.

Thursday's Child

@@bushmaniac

Really wonderful sightings and photos! (off to google Tswalu Kalahari...)

@@Tdgraves - this is is a taster of what you can look forward to

gallery_18242_1317_57718.jpg

@@Tdgraves - this is is a taster of what you can look forward to

gallery_18242_1317_57718.jpg

Omg on foot!

We have been before, but in the summer and were told that winter is good for all these nocturnal critters to still be about in the early daylight - they were not wrong @@bushmaniac

P.s. my comment about weight gain was that you were there for such a long time and the food is fabulous.....

Whenever we saw an aardvark we'd stop the vehicle and try to approach on foot. This was the first really close encounter, with an elderly female aardvark - you can see the spine and hip bones sticking out. But there's also a very relaxed young male, who let us get just as close. All of the aardvark sightings were quite close to the lodge, and we often found two or three quite close together (but no interactions between them). We never saw any in the mornings, all were in the afternoon from about 2h30 on.

(Luckily I'd stayed at a couple of other lodges before I went to Tswalu, where the food wasn't as good. So I think I just put back the weight I'd lost in the previous weeks :D )

Wow - how long were you on safari for? Any chance of a TR?? ;)

Towlersonsafari

Look @@bushmaniac you do realise that there are only a limited number of Aardvark sightings allowed in any one year-and that you have used up the next 5 years supply! the League of Unusual Mammals (Maddingingly Elusive). or Lumme for short, is very strict about that sort of thing.We nearly decided to cancel our Trip to South Africa trying to find Aardvarks as there is just no chance now!!!

I was in Namibia for two weeks and then South Africa for three weeks - 6 nights as a guest at the finals of the South African Safari Guide of the Year Competition at Nkambeni in Kruger NP, followed by 4 nights at Simbavati Hilltop in Timbavati, and then 10 nights at Tswalu.

I'm working on a TR, well the Tswalu part at least. It's my first TR and having read so many amazing TRs from the likes of Twaffle etc, mine is just a sad little footnote. :unsure:

I'm sure it's not. We'd all be very interested in such a long trip, especially the guiding competition....

I disagree, @@Towlersonsafari, I only caught up on the aardvark I haven't seen over the last 10 years! Just wait until @@Tdgraves posts more pictures after her trip in August ;)

Towlersonsafari

Well I just hope you are right @@bushmaniac! I used to captain a cricket team called the Aardvarks and have a stuffed hand made aardvark wearing a cricket jumper just so you can appreciate the depths of my jealousy! Looking forward to you trip report.

• 1 month later...

Now, who was it that saw all those aardvarks in Tswalu? How about putting the pics here...

• 10 months later...

W​e glimpsed a couple of aardvarks at Tswalu but they were very skittish and weren't keen to come out into the open and be photographed...

post-50885-0-42997800-1469743813_thumb.jpg

post-50885-0-51460500-1469743824_thumb.jpg