The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men … a somewhat turbulent safari to Kenya

twaffle

To page 9. The vulturine guinea fowls are great,  the people shots are great, the sepia of the binos/gun is great! The rhino fence is somewhat comical but it must do the trick. Rhinos have very little lift in their steps and even lease leap. The Twaffles on a Kopje is a lovely photo but brings to mind a menu item. Not quite sure what, though.

Now that the mystery of whether you'd see a lion is solved, a new one surfaces--where are the wild dogs of Laikipia?

Speaking of dogs, I wish those dogs mentioned in the report well, along with all the dogs not mentioned here. Whatever the outcome, the dogs you share your home with are the lucky ones.

And more dogs on page 10! Nice action shot of stone throwing. Dogs like that fetch game the world over!

The infant and juvenile giraffe interaction is precious!

Edited by wilddog

@@johan db, you probably have a stash of photos with which to participate for years in the "show me your...." threads. I hope you have other interests you are pursuing as passionately as you did your African travels.

Sorry to monopolize! That's 3 in a row here.

The dogs make a grand entrance with an impala leg! How very wild dog-like. The composite shot of the gestures used to describe wild dogs is very clever and made me laugh. The big lens and dog shot made me feel like I was first seeing them too. Beautiful dog shots that follow. So that mystery is solved.

You introduced me to hummingbird cake. I may have to whip one up and then nibble while I read the rest of this wonderful report.

Edited by Atravelynn

Thanks Lynn, you can always be relied on for an in depth study of the report and photos. I almost had to check back on some things to remind myself! :D

Hi @@twaffle, just been through your amazing images here again, they really tell a story.

As I threatened, I bought myself a camera, Nikon 600, before my trip to Botswana next week. I have been a good student and tried to learn my camera and the main possibilities that it offers. So I am not going to ask you any technical questions about lenses, shutter speed, f-stop and what have I.

But I seems to me that your images have more depth, saturation and contrast (I am not sure about the lingo) than most other. Or maybe it is like the images are a little warmer? Just wondering if this has something to do with you post processing or your actual image capturing (maybe slightly underexposed)?

But off course, you shouldn't give away any big secrets :)

It is so encouraging to see Amboseli and environs coming back--and with a vengeance! Such diversity! Kitirua Conservancy aka Amboseli on steroids without the crowds is most impressive! The mountain even peeked out for you. The bino banter was rather funny, along with that excellent vehicle sighting/photo.

Some wonderful photos. Have not gotten to the spectacular morning you have referred to.

It certainly was a spectacular finale, along with a dose of suspense. I think my pulse actually quickened when the lions came along. I hope the cheetah cubs survive and populate Kitirua. Thank you Twaffle for a wonderful illustrated safari report!

Edited by twaffle

Thanks Lyn for all the lovely comments.

Kasper, I think the effects you are describing are down to post production, although I didn't do too much on these images as there are so many, but I don't ever post 'out of the camera' because that's just nasty. Good luck with your photography.

I have no secrets worth sharing, promise.

@@twaffle

If no secrets, then magic - I promise.

Edited by KasperW

No effort at all. I used it as my reward for getting stuff done. My rule was, when Tasks A, B, and C are accomplished, then it's report time. Very motivating and less fattening than a dark chocolate Hershey Bliss square or a hummingbird cake! But I've realized I have not hit any like buttons. That means I get to check out the secret-less, magical photos once again.

Twaffle, in contemplating this possibly being a final trip to Kenya, is that to free up your ability to go elsewhere?

So you were 5 nights Kitura, replacing the 5 nights Ishaqbini?

Edited by twaffle

Lynn, it was someonekse who was contemplating a last Kenyan trip, I would never utter such sacrilege! :D

Edited by wilddog

Thanks for the clarification on everything!

Had either of you been aware of Kitura before it was suggested to you? Any future plans?

It has taken me two weeks to read this report.

Awesome, just awesome!! 

@@twaffle besides the 200-400mm what other lenses did you use on the trip?

Edited by twaffle

Thanks Geoff. I also used the 17-40, the 24-105 and the 70-200 2.8 (unstabilised)

I was thinking of the comments in here about seeing so much before 8 or 9:20 or whatever. That sense of accomplishment before you are very far into your day is yet another compelling aspect of safari/wildlife travel. Early productivity can certainly be duplicated in many other facets of life (and I do my best with my alarm clock and checklists). But I am acutely aware of that satisfying feeling of achievement and fulfillment early in the day brought about by nature travel. And it happens so effortlessly without stress or an agenda.

Bat viewing required getting up at 3:15 and produced a hyper-accomplishment due to all we had seen by sunrise. Of course a mid-morning nap followed.

That psychological reward of so much so early is yet another positive reinforcement that keeps us going back.

Edited by wilddog

• 1 month later...

@@twaffle Thank you for this superb trip report. I finally had time to sit down and read it all the way through and thoroughly enjoyed every word and the excellent photos that are pieces of art. What a trip you had. I now have put these places on my list for future travel.

Edited by Pennyanne

• 6 months later...

I have just spent the last two weeks with Squack Evans mastering the art of pronouncing "Kiturua" which is not spelt "Kitirua" as I have done in the above trip report. It took me awhile, I can tell you, to retrain my brain.

Well, that's interesting as I did a search and many references came up with Kiturua as the correct spelling and I'm sure that Squack mentioned that many people spell it incorrectly as Kitirua.

Maybe we shall never know the truth .........

@@twaffle I'm late to the party, but have finished reading about your adventures over the last three days. What an experience! Of course the sighting and photography are wonderful, but what really stood out to me is your written words. It is great to see serious consideration of conservation issues from well-informed travelers married to such beautiful photos.

Favorites of mine include the cheetah cub running to the kill with the goofy expression on its face, the dogs in the aerial shots spotted after the fact (what a great discovery that must have been), and the elephant portraits, which definitely succeed in capturing a sense of the individual animals.

Thank you for all your efforts.

Edited by twaffle

Thanks Marks

• 6 months later...

A belated "wow that was amazing"....great report and off the charts photos....I am selling my cameras and just reading trip reports from now on...awesome

Thanks Mosquito, it was a wonderful safari.