Mesmerizing video of the queleas...are they particles or waves? :P

Your warning about the bees is duly noted, as they are my nemesis, and I like the big ele captured with his face distorted from shaking his head.

Really enjoyed this thread, one of the most impactful in recent memory for me.

Up to page 5 and just realised there are 16!!!! Eh? How? When?? ?

Well I am not going to finish this lunchtime, so will visit again soon. This is great Kit, and also well done on soliciting some excellent contributions from out various members. Look forward to reading the rest.

So far you seem to have found shooting in the dark challenging but I have to say I really like Philomen lights the way on page 5.

@@pault you will have to make time to plough through this windy winding report. I rambled on too much, and enthusiastically added too many pix, and now I think I've broken the record for the longest TR for only a 10-night trip!

• 2 months later...

@@Marks thanks! i saw that too. and Matt was also interviewed for the battle for a UK daily and this was mentioned in this thread

http://safaritalk.net/topic/13851-lion-bs-buffalo-fight-to-death-for-both/#entry148516

every time i revisit the battle, it still hits me.

you'd think that for experienced guides living in the bush that this battle was just another they witness often. So I was surprised that they were so moved by this particular one.

@@Kitsafari I have only just caught up with your trip report and I am stunned by what you saw and the heartfelt way you wrote about it. You have truly been blessed with an intimate view into the wild world. My goodness, I don't know what else to say.

@@Marks thanks! i saw that too. and Matt was also interviewed for the battle for a UK daily and this was mentioned in this thread

http://safaritalk.net/topic/13851-lion-bs-buffalo-fight-to-death-for-both/#entry148516

every time i revisit the battle, it still hits me.

you'd think that for experienced guides living in the bush that this battle was just another they witness often. So I was surprised that they were so moved by this particular one.

Ah thanks, I hadn't seen that posted. It's emotional to revist that scene, but interesting to see others' points of view, too. An incredibly memorable event.

But this isn't the first time I've seen an article and said to myself, "I've already seen that on ST." :)

Thank you for a great report! I have just caught with it. So many wonderful sighting (although I cried when I was reading about the male lion :( )!

• 1 month later...

@@egilio @@Safaridude remember our little discussion over the size and sparse manes of the Luangwa males somewhere in my report?

Shenton safaris recently talked about a maneless 2-year male in the Mwamba pride. Oddly I didn't remember seeing a maneless male but saw 3 subadult males spotting a bit of mane.

Anyway here is the link to SS' blog -

http://www.kaingo.com/blog/mane-less/

Very intriguing stuff!

Nature also produces freaks also;I'll never forget seeing male a baboon with a hunchback in Hwange national park.

Nature also produces freaks also;I'll never forget seeing male a baboon with a hunchback in Hwange national park.

@@optig, was the hunch large? if so, it would have been tough for the baboon to move around, and would it have hindered his movements in the trees, i wonder?

I remember that it was quite noticeable,but not large enough to hinder it's movements because it was moving rapidly.

There were also a few males like that in the Nsolo pride, no mane whatsoever until abou the age of 3, but later they did develop manes (although not huge ones) and now they hold tenure over Big Pride in the Mfuwe area.

• 2 years later...

This is a fascinating report.  I am new to Safaritalk and am finding it both

interesting and informative.  We are planning a trip to Zambia in 2018, and 

the information about the different camps is very helpful.

Thank you for sharing this report.

@Ginny Hi Ginny! welcome to the ST family! glad to hear from you and glad to hear you found the TR helpful.

which month will you be in Zambia, and which parks will you be planning for in 2018? i love SLNP's northern areas, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it too. 

Thanks for your welcoming words.....it takes us newbies a little while to jump in on this revered site!

We have been to Africa 5 times..Kenya, Tanzania 2x including Ruaha and Selous, 

Zinbabwe 2x, Caprivi Strip, Botswana, and Uganda.

In 2018, I would like to go to 3 parks in Zambia, SLN, Kafue and Lower Zimbabwe, but am having trouble in choosing where to go and how to arrange it all.  Have looked at quite a few tour operators, both in the US, UK, and in Zambia. Both Expert Africa and

Travel Beyond appeal because they are so helpful on this site.

Would like to spend about 2 weeks, do not plan any time at Vic Falls, as have been there 2x.

Would like small, comfortable camps, not anything fancy.  Would like different

experiences, and environments.

Ones that appeal to me are, in no particular order,  Kaingo(for the hides), Lion, Nzanzhila, Mawamba, Luangwa River, Old Mondoro, KaingU, Kafue River Lodge, Zikombo.

Would love any suggestions, recommendations etc.

Best regards,

Ginny

Christopher Moran
7 hours ago, Ginny said:

Ones that appeal to me are, in no particular order,  Kaingo(for the hides),

+1 for Kaingo and its hides.  Although I think the Carmine bee-eater hide is not operational until late in the dry season.

@Ginny

Welcome to Safaritalk!.

If you start a new thread in "Trip Planning"  - in the "Travel Talk" section at the top of the page, you will probably get more people giving suggestions based on your questions.

7 hours ago, TonyQ said:

@Ginny

Welcome to Safaritalk!.

If you start a new thread in "Trip Planning"  - in the "Travel Talk" section at the top of the page, you will probably get more people giving suggestions based on your questions.

7 hours ago, TonyQ said:

@Ginny

Welcome to Safaritalk!.

@Ginny I second @TonyQ's suggestion to start a new thread in trip planning as not many members will be reading this thread. Several of the ST members have been to SLNP, Kafue and Lower Zembezi and you will find they will be more than willing to offer you recommendations and advice. I'm just curious why you would want to start your trip to Zambia in Vic falls rather than Lusaka, unless you are starting from southern Kafue? 

Kaingo and Mwamba are both Shenton Safari's camps, and Mwamba will also have access to the hides. Mwamba itself has a hide at the camp and that is a very productive hide, especially late in the dry season as the waterhole is among the last remaining ones in the area.