Kenya the fabulous; Wild dogs of Laikipia; Malaika the show-stopper;Fantastic Mara Toto and Who said cheetahs are not seen too much in the Mara?

madaboutcheetah

I was there in Jan/Feb 2013.

The weather was pretty much ideal but the game was quite scarce. Although there were not too many vehicles at that time, because the sightings were infrequent all the cars tended to end up at almost every sighting.

On the balloon ride we saw 5 elephants and a serval cat (not easy to photograph form a few hundred feet in the air)

It was still the Mara though.

Samburu was also terrific at that time of year.

madaboutcheetah

The weather was pretty much ideal but the game was quite scarce. Although there were not too many vehicles at that time, because the sightings were infrequent all the cars tended to end up at almost every sighting.

On the balloon ride we saw 5 elephants and a serval cat (not easy to photograph form a few hundred feet in the air)

Ouch! were you in the park or in one of the conservancies? I would think the conservancies have short grass that time of the year compared to the park's longer grass. Perhaps a part?

Edited by madaboutcheetah

I was in the Park, staying at Mara Ngenche, which is in th Mara Confluence area.

The grass wasn't too long, but it was pretty green.

madaboutcheetah

I'd say, just unlucky with a slow week in that case.

@@madaboutcheetah, @@Soukous - Thank you both for your most EXPERT opinions; much more safari savvy than I.

I thought for a first time safari and this group, the Mara and another property in No. Kenya would be first choice. I love Botswana as well MAC, but only one Kwando camp; the others were WS. However, I am sure the wide plains and amt of wildlife would be perfect for them. The husband wants the wild, tented walking experience but knowing the rest of the group, they'd be growling at me for suggesting it!

Yes, I do remember @@SafariChick and I believe Kitsafari are going in Feb. This group wants dry season but does not care about migration and the amt. of vehicles that acccompany it.

Mara Toto may be a good compromise as it is not quite as "plush"; I can see my friend, the patriarch of the group cringing at a copper tub (though money is not an issue; he just wants a tented experience that is not overthetop with pizazz); I've never had time to soak in a tub myself; quick bucket showers are the norm.

Not wanting to interfere with your amazing Mara report, but do appreciate both you and Soukous helping out with your thoughts :)

Ouch! were you in the park or in one of the conservancies? I would think the conservancies have short grass that time of the year compared to the park's longer grass. Perhaps a part?

Double ouch; I can't imagine going to Africa with a scarcity of game. Fortunately that has not happened for us...except parts of Ruaha, but that was explained in detail to us with the newly formed Kichaka; and just being "out" in the wild looking was a great time - we'd see something but most ran from us.

Far from a Mana Pools experience! Or our most amazing Mara back in 2010. (Serian) I need to go back again.

madaboutcheetah

I can promise you @@graceland that if they went to Mara toto or Mara plains, their guiding ethos and quality will ensure them sightings ..... From my visits to the Mara, there is never a slow drive.

If they are keen on the private conservancy experience they should go to Mara plains.

They should easily be able to combine with other areas in the north.

Beautiful leopard. In the earlier cheetah pics, the one with it crouched infont on the lioness is incredibly tense...

madaboutcheetah

Very sad news that the alpha female from the wild dog pack along with several puppies were killed by lions ...... Hope the pack sorts out a new alpha female soon.

@@madaboutcheetah that's terrible news on the wild dogs. :(

Just catching up with all the TRs. great pictures of the lovely Narasha. somehow for me, female cheetahs are far more beautiful than male cheetahs, but they are all so elegant anyway.

@@madaboutcheetah, @@Soukous - Thank you both for your most EXPERT opinions; much more safari savvy than I.

I thought for a first time safari and this group, the Mara and another property in No. Kenya would be first choice. I love Botswana as well MAC, but only one Kwando camp; the others were WS. However, I am sure the wide plains and amt of wildlife would be perfect for them. The husband wants the wild, tented walking experience but knowing the rest of the group, they'd be growling at me for suggesting it!

Yes, I do remember @@SafariChick and I believe Kitsafari are going in Feb. This group wants dry season but does not care about migration and the amt. of vehicles that acccompany it.

Mara Toto may be a good compromise as it is not quite as "plush"; I can see my friend, the patriarch of the group cringing at a copper tub (though money is not an issue; he just wants a tented experience that is not overthetop with pizazz); I've never had time to soak in a tub myself; quick bucket showers are the norm.

Not wanting to interfere with your amazing Mara report, but do appreciate both you and Soukous helping out with your thoughts :)

@@graceland @@madaboutcheetah i missed this! yes we are going in February to serian main camp and serian nkorombo, and then end in Mara Plains. we were interested in Mara Toto, but the price quoted was the same as what was quoted for MP, so it was a sort of no-brainer, we went for the plusher one.

@@Soukous oh dear, does that mean the game won't be so prolific in the mara in February? that month was my selection as there are a couple of public holidays here so I could take less days of leave. ah well, I will still enjoy the vast space and beauty of Africa. as long as the hyenas continue to serenade me to sleep, and the lions roar in my dreams.

@@Kitsafari I wouldn't worry too much.

It is a great time to visit Kenya and game sightings are so unpredictable you could easily enjoy fantastic sightings.

It is a great time to visit Kenya and game sightings are so unpredictable you could easily enjoy fantastic sightings.

thanks for the reassurance. anyway it's too late to worry. i've just paid the balance of the trip, so I have to go, no matter what. But it's Africa, it's going to be great.and @@SafariChick will be with me. so it'll be great. if only @@graceland can join us too!

thanks for the reassurance. anyway it's too late to worry. i've just paid the balance of the trip, so I have to go, no matter what. But it's Africa, it's going to be great.and @@SafariChick will be with me. so it'll be great. if only @@graceland can join us too!

I am putting on my red shoes and clicking heels - I wish, I wish, I wish..

If it worked for Dorothy, maybe it'd work for me - :D

"somehow for me, female cheetahs are far more beautiful than male cheetahs" I agree with @@Kitsafari. The faces look different to me.

Your leopard shots are superb.

The self driver may have saved the hapless cheetah but the interference is annoying. Unless that young male becomes wise in a hurry, he won't be around long. Hope he is a fast learner.

Edited by Atravelynn

Hari,

Fabulous lions, leopard and cheetahs' shots. It strikes me that the quality of your pictures is getting better and better in the long run.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks so much Lynn and Mike ....... Mike, still learning every day and hopefully will keep improving.

madaboutcheetah

Sorry for the lack of updates to this thread - it was a super busy week at work..... So, this installment will have a few random images that I edited mid week

post-308-0-10963800-1416125008_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-26738300-1416125121_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-29817300-1416125336_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-51661800-1416125495_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-08168800-1416125574_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-18072400-1416125679_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-68976400-1416125804_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-00125800-1416125979_thumb.jpg

The second one really cheered me up, thanks! And you are absolutely nailing those silhouettes. :)

Having a look at those last pictures, I must say you confirm what I said, you really keep improving!

The second one really cheered me up, thanks! And you are absolutely nailing those silhouettes. :)

Agreed, that cub's expression is priceless.

Yes I am a fan as well...cheetah cubs, way too adorable.

Great shots Hari; this has been a fabulous ride along report with you.Don't rush it; I like to wake up every day to more!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks all for your kind comments ....... Glad you enjoyed them and Thanks for keeping me motivated.

Btw, that Male Lion in the last instalment is one of the two pride males of the Moniko pride in the OMC. He is fondly called, "oloopapit" which in Maa translates to "The Hairy one" ..... Honestly, I think he's one of the finest big Male Lions I've seen in all my travels to Africa. (perhaps, I'd find more of them if I wasn't too madaboutcheetah?) ;)

More lovely stuff... pages of it. Post #132 is my favorite overall, with all the behavioral observations.