Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

So we will both watch the final Croatia vs England! May the best team win!

Peter Connan

My sincerest condolences and very best wishes Dave!

As Alex said, a mature decision. 

A tough, but undoubtedly wise decision, Dave! I hope there will be many more good trips to come in the future. We will join you here in rooting for England next Saturday evening. I hope they won't let things come to a penalty shoot-out this time, though. I can only survive that once...;) And of course @xelas, Saturday afternoon is Croatia time here:rolleyes:.

So sorry to hear that you have to cancel your trip, but it does sound like a sensible decision. Your health must come first so that there are many Big Years in future. Have a great boat trip and we can all enjoy the football.

Thursday's Child sends her best wishes also.

so sorry to hear about your back Dave. hope you get an earlier date to sort it out, and hope meanwhile you'll be able to manage the pain and the numbness in your legs. Get a good rest and take care!

England? it'll have to get past Brazil first.....

Sincere condolences and such a shame as I know how much you have been looking forward to that trip. As others say that was/is a mature decision (but I could not bring myself to push the 'like ' button!).

Hope the pelagic gets you some stunners by way of compensation. It's a bit breezy this morning but that won't stop them.

And of course best wishes for positive progress with your health. Despite all the politicking the NHS is still one of the best around.

michael-ibk

O no, Dave I am truly sorry but of course this will be for the best. Better to cancel one trip than risk your health. My good thoughts are with you.

Dave - I’m sorry to hear about your back and the cancelled trip. Here’s hoping the waiting list shrinks and that you make a full recovery

Dave Williams

363)Northern Gannet

Once again, thanks for your messages of support, they are much appreciated.

I took one last trip on Thursday, a glorious day in Liverpool Bay with calm seas. Strangely the Gannets didn't seem interested in the fish they were offered so photo opportunities were unusually scarce but that didn't disappoint as I have many from past trips.

43225911542_1209887bfb_b.jpgNorthern Gannet by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Limiting myself to my 100-400 to reduce weight was a shame as we got some great views of Manx Shearwater where the extra reach of a longer lens would have been a bonus.

28405604307_e743eb1f0f_b.jpgManx Shearwater by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Even so, a good shot of the Shearwater, Dave! The calm seas are obvious from the photo. Does a boat trip like that ususally produce shearwaters, or were you very lucky this time?

Edited by PeterHG

Dave Williams

We normally see them @PeterHG ,

Oh Dave, very sorry to hear about your back problems and a shame you have had to cancel your trip but as everyone says, a sensible thing to do.

I hope you don't have to wait too long to get it sorted and all my very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dave Williams
On 7/10/2018 at 2:42 PM, Zim Girl said:

Oh Dave, very sorry to hear about your back problems and a shame you have had to cancel your trip but as everyone says, a sensible thing to do.

I hope you don't have to wait too long to get it sorted and all my very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thank you!

Every cloud has a silver lining or so they say. My planned shark breaching/ cage diving trip that was scheduled for tomorrow has been cancelled due to inclement weather so I will get a refund after all. I hadn't taken out the extra insurance for high risk activities ( even though I said my intention was surface photography from the boat) so it wasn't covered. An extra little bonus of nearly £200 so all in all I won't lose too much on the trip and I'm now looking at it a cash windfall:wacko::rolleyes: instead of a lost trip.

In the meantime and without me noticing when it happened my status on the ST forum has been elevated. Ooo,eh missus! as Frankie Howard would say. Nobody take the Pith now.

Congratulations on the Pith!

offshorebirder

Congrats on the pith @Dave Williams.

I must be a slowpoke @TonyQ.   Members like @Tom Kellie and @Dave Williams raced to pith status.   But I still don't have one after several years.  

Quality over quantity I suppose ;-)

Dave Williams
8 minutes ago, offshorebirder said:

Congrats on the pith @Dave Williams.

I must be a slowpoke @TonyQ.   Members like @Tom Kellie and @Dave Williams raced to pith status.   But I still don't have one after several years.  

Quality over quantity I suppose ;-)

I'm certainly open to pith taking it's all part of the fun!

Good news on two fronts. Some spending money back from a trip and Dai the Pith taker.

Well done.

Peter Connan

Congratulations Dave!

michael-ibk

Welcome to starry pithdom!

Dave Williams

@xelas A definite No but I'll see if I can find something suitable instead!:D

Congratulations and well-deserved! Someone who books books shark cage-diving trips (though perhaps secretly hoping they will be cancelled in time ;)) and shows us so many excellent photographs should be treated with respect:rolleyes:! Good to hear you got a refund. Now you can spend it on your next trip, once your problems have been dealt with. I admire your positive attitude, Dave!

@Dave Williams, what a "Pithoff"! Seriously,  I hope your surgeon can weave his magic and get you sorted quickly so you, and Mrs Williams, can start planning again for 2019.

Dave Williams

Well as you asked @xelas Alex.........

It's the best I can come up with!!!!

Not my hat as I'm sure you will realise but one I inherited a few years ago, along with the gloves . Until I tried them on for this photo I hadn't realised their significance and assumed that my late uncle who'd died over 50 years ago had perhaps had connections to some society or other, Masonic perhaps, but it all fell together when I read the inside label of the gloves. They are handmade in Britain, hand sewn buckskin and they are individually numbered pairs, a bespoke item.My uncle used to sell them in America in the 1930's, sailing across the Atlantic to collect orders in the process.They can't have been cheap! It all came to a halt because of World War 2.

The hat was standard wear for sales representatives back then.

IMG_4106.JPG