Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

Another set of excellent bird photos, @Dave Williams. What is the difference between the Black-head and the Little, I have many photos of gulls with black head so I might be lucky ...

Dave Williams

The underwing is dark on a Little Gull.

Dave Williams

330) Long-tailed Duck

Only my second ever sighting, this single specimen was hanging around in a marina but there were thousands of birds in a huge raft a mile or two offshore. Much to far to identify with binoculars but the noise was amazing.

27426395517_7c6214a865_b.jpgLong-tailed Duck   Clangula hyemalis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

We weren't sure if there was something wrong with the one left behind but maybe he was just anti-social as he was active enough.

27426394587_3d5e48c540_b.jpgLong-tailed Duck   Clangula hyemalis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

331) Wood Warbler

They are very common in the woods of Estonia but usually in shady spots.

27427126007_2abf768e21_b.jpgWood Warbler   Phylloscopus sibilatrix by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Using my new 5D4 the ISO noise becomes apparent at fairly low ISO's but the 30mp sensor is handy for bigger crops.

27427131447_4defa134d4_b.jpgWood Warbler   Phylloscopus sibilatrix by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

333) Wryneck

Heard a few of these but this was the only one I saw. Only the second ever but as I have loads of images of the first I didn't pursue this one any further.

42297189101_ae2986a7e3_b.jpgWryneck   Jynx torquilla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

334)Common Starling

These are very common in the UK and I could easily have posted a shot from home but as we had stood waiting at this hole hoping a woodpecker might appear and getting bitten to distraction by mosquitos(who supposedly don't like sunshine) I thought I might as well get something back for the suffering and add another to my BY.

28424538828_404ba8d57b_b.jpgCommon Starling   Sturnus vulgaris by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

336)White-tailed Sea Eagle

Seen a couple of times but distantly. Unfortunately couldn't get closer due to the boggy nature of the land as we got closer to the sea.

42297950921_5bac19242f_b.jpgWhite-tailed Sea Eagle   Haliaeetus albicilla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

A bigger crop!

42297951391_a35f80020e_b.jpgWhite-tailed Sea Eagle   Haliaeetus albicilla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

I can't see the white tail on that eagle :D!  All birds of prey tend to fly away from my camera but once you need a butt shot ....

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, xelas said:

I can't see the white tail on that eagle :D!  All birds of prey tend to fly away from my camera but once you need a butt shot ....

That's because it hasn't got one yet Alex!

Dave Williams

337) White-backed Woodpecker

Another first for me. We had found a nest the previous evening but the light was poor so we got up early to travel back only to find a group of youngsters camping and making quite a lot of noise shouting.No signs of the Woodpecker even 30 minutes after they had packed up and gone. We were just packing up ourselves when pal Mike spotted the male having a look to see if the coast was clear.

42300142531_eb1565bb8b_b.jpgWhite-backed Woodpecker   Dendrocopos leucotos by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Sure enough within 15 minutes the female was back with a nice grub and they changed places.

42253617722_db87966ccd_b.jpgWhite-backed Woodpecker   Dendrocopos leucotos by Dave Williams, on Flickr

That is a lovely White-backed Woodpecker.

A new camera as well Dave- I am sure we will be seeing many more excellent shots from you:)

An impressive collection, Dave! Great shots of Long-tailed Duck, Great Reed Warbler, Wood Warbler and many others. Some really special sightings, too!

Dave Williams

345)Slavonian Grebe

This ,I think, is the last of my Estonia additions. Our 10 day trip was a bit of a disappointment, of the 5 bird hide days booked, all of them were a waste of time. Finding our own birds was hard work but that said I did manage to add 7 new birds to my life list even though there were only 37 additions to my B.Y. 

On our last and best day we saw two new birds and were tipped off were to find one of the best places to photograph these delightful little Grebes.

41405892355_56f58e9eae_b.jpgSlavonian Grebe  Podiceps auritus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

At least we finished on a high.

41405891635_0e65482b6f_b.jpgSlavonian Grebe  Podiceps auritus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Absolutely fantastic series of the Slavonian Grebe, a joy to watch! 

Edited by xelas

Peter Connan

Indeed, really beautiful!

michael-ibk

Beautiful photos Dave, particularly like the Citrine Wagtail and the Slavonian Grebe. Not seen by any chance in the city pond of Haapsalu? Which places did you visit in Estonia? I'm slightly surprised your birding was not what you hoped for. Only been there in August, and even then it was quite good, I reckoned  migration time in spring should be fantastic.