Pedro does it again, 2nd Year!!

pedro maia

Congratulations on the single country double century 

Well done on getting to 200!

Nice to see you reach #200 especially with our National Bird.

michael-ibk

Super Pedro, getting 200 species in a single country is a fantastic achievement!

34 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Super Pedro, getting 200 species in a single country is a fantastic achievement!

Yes, it certainly is. Well done.

Well don on reaching 200 for Portugal!

Peter Connan

Congratulations! Great effort.

Congratulations, @pedro maia! Reaching 200 species in any European country is an excellent achievement. I hope you will get to your new target.

Dave Williams

Cracking achievement Pedro, well done indeed.

@pedro maia, well Ive really enjoyed catching up with your home sightings, you've highlighted some wonderful locations for a future trip. Portas de Rodao looks a fabulous spot for Griffin Vulture spotting, like you I love seeing them soaring at eye level. Also, Ive picked up a few tips on separating Mistle and Song Thrush, Black and Red Kites, tactics for spotting Dippers and a few "BIF, how to improve" hints as well from the experts. Glad you can get out and about a bit now.

Congratulations from me too

wow congrats on reaching your goals - 200 in a single country, and exceeding your target to see 20 new birds.  hats off to you for raising your target to 240 - undoubtedly you'll achieve it in no time. 

pedro maia

This morning I went to try a new spot less than half an hour drive from home and even if I missed my main goal I saw one of my favourite birds, one I saw only once last year.

#201, 3/7, Northern goshawk, Ribeira da Cabrela

327822567_Aor1.jpg.5d91213b05de46b0d2e572c6e02d5565.jpg

1314962613_Aor2.jpg.59a86dc541bdcb6fc854242c559d6812.jpg

33835683_Aor5.jpg.a867aaca1db2e916c32ef251b15baa65.jpg

1153070374_Aor4.jpg.f836d3e805debcd7bb3b7f9ce02a6d21.jpg

pedro maia

I also saw this Red-billed leiothrix, a new bird for me, but it´s a species from Asia that is not settled here, there are some escapes but not a real wild population and because of that it´s not in the bubo.org list and in the Portuguese forum we agreed that we would only use species in that list so I´m not going to count it.

1745608067_Rouxinoldojapo.jpg.125941e26c3aebdfa6a1e99befe33312.jpg

Edited by pedro maia

Congratulations on reaching a fantastic total of 200 for your country already and challenging yourself by setting a new target! A great thread to follow and looking forward to seeing you reach you goal.

The red-billed leiothrix is such a pretty bird. do they migrate there or an escapee - i didn't know caged bird trade is a thing in Portugal?

On 7/3/2020 at 6:50 PM, pedro maia said:

I´m not going to count it.

That is very noble of you. There are free-winged populations across the world now as a result of several introductions some of which failed (UK) but others such as in France and Spain succeeded.

pedro maia
On 7/3/2020 at 6:55 PM, PeterHG said:

Congratulations on reaching a fantastic total of 200 for your country already and challenging yourself by setting a new target! A great thread to follow and looking forward to seeing you reach you goal.

Thanks Peter.

pedro maia
4 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

The red-billed leiothrix is such a pretty bird. do they migrate there or an escapee - i didn't know caged bird trade is a thing in Portugal?

They are escapees, but I don’t really know how is the caged bird trade here, I’m sure it’s not like in some places in Asia.

pedro maia
35 minutes ago, Galana said:

That is very noble of you. There are free-winged populations across the world now as a result of several introductions some of which failed (UK) but others such as in France and Spain succeeded.

I’m just adhering to the rules I voluntarily agreed ;).

• 2 weeks later...

I´m not making any progresses as I´m loosing a lot of time trying to see a species without results and now we are in the high 30º´s here so I don´t expect many additions in the next few days.

This one is a duplicate, not a great picture but still much better than the one I have in my count:1783871803_cobreira1.jpg.81568e45960053daf1d079e249cfba16.jpg

Edited by pedro maia

58 minutes ago, pedro maia said:

I´m not making any progresses as I´m loosing a lot of time trying to see a species without results

I´m very glad to be wrong :).

A special species was seen at the spot where I saw the Goshawk, it´s half an hour from home so I returned there a few times without success, a couple of sightings were registered at ebird with photos, at site I could identify the exact place where the photos were taken but I couldn´t see the damn birds.

Yesterday I went there early in the morning and again I didn´t see nothing, some other birders showed up and tried to see them but weren´t able as well. Already at home I saw in ebird that after I left they were seen again, no photos this time but still I decided to go back there before sunset, but again I didn´t see them, I started to get frustrated.

The place of the sightings has some rock formations with trees and other vegetation, you are facing those rock formations from a distance, what I did yesterday afternoon was, without any hope, to take pictures of all the parts where the rocks are exposed, and after my last post I remembered that I still hadn´t checked the photos, which I did and, Bingo!!

Where´s Waldo?

194514111_BufoIMG_2492.jpg.24ac65b41ab6e967dff06fb62fea59a0.jpg

3161541_BufoIMG_2507.jpg.ada58ba594afdfee787b1fe930f324a7.jpg

#202 (N33), 12/7, Eurasian eagle owl, Ribeira da Cabrela

648110011_BufoIMG_2492crop.jpg.3568c03c3f3519d7e51d832462b0cebd.jpg

908390412_BufoIMG_2508crop.jpg.b2fb6eab3adaf357ed3ad58702fc5a2a.jpg

Hard work for two EBC´s, one of them of a bird facing a rock, but totally worth it :lol:.