Zim Girl's 3rd Big Year 2020

Zim Girl

What a beautiful setting for the white ponies!

Dave Williams

Risking the wrath of the locals in the Lakes eh!! I'm sure things have calmed down there now. You too, are building up the list slowly but surely!!

17 hours ago, PeterHG said:

What a beautiful setting for the white ponies!

16 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Risking the wrath of the locals in the Lakes eh!! I'm sure things have calmed down there now. You too, are building up the list slowly but surely!!

Thank you Peter, the Lake District is the most beautiful area of England (in my opinion):)

Dave, we know the Lakes extremely well, so know where to go to avoid any potential local conflict.  Our walks at the moment are designed to visit the more remote areas.

there are wild horses in the UK? Wow!

4 minutes ago, Zim Girl said:

Thank you Peter, the Lake District is the most beautiful area of England (in my opinion):)

I have to agree with you although the last time I visited there was over 20 years ago!

Dave Williams

I am currently booked in to a touring caravan site in Borrowdale for September, but it remains to be seen if a) I'm allowed to leave Wales and b) made welcome if we go!!

The fear of god has been instilled in far too many people. With care and due diligence it's easy to avoid catching the virus if everyone keeps their distance, respects other people's space in places that are essential to everyone such as shops, wear a mask where necessary ( something I don't want to do but happy to comply if it protects others from me when needed) and take responsibility for their own health and safety assessments. No one is obliged to join a thousand others in either a trip to the beach or a public demonstration.You won't catch me at either, I do believe though that it's high time we started to get a degree of normality back in to our lives before it can't be achieved because of the damage done already.

12 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The fear of god has been instilled in far too many people.

It's not that you need worry about. Mammon will win in the end over common sense and peoples lives.

This from a country with no new cases for 21 days and borders that have been firmly closed since March.

28 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I am currently booked in to a touring caravan site in Borrowdale for September, but it remains to be seen if a) I'm allowed to leave Wales and b) made welcome if we go!!

The fear of god has been instilled in far too many people. With care and due diligence it's easy to avoid catching the virus if everyone keeps their distance, respects other people's space in places that are essential to everyone such as shops, wear a mask where necessary ( something I don't want to do but happy to comply if it protects others from me when needed) and take responsibility for their own health and safety assessments. No one is obliged to join a thousand others in either a trip to the beach or a public demonstration.You won't catch me at either, I do believe though that it's high time we started to get a degree of normality back in to our lives before it can't be achieved because of the damage done already.

Couldn't agree more!

• 3 weeks later...

Had the builders in for months so birding has been a bit hit and miss but hopefully it will pick up in the Autumn.  For now a few more random entries.

72.  Greylag Goose

P1260845c.jpg.f7c3d2d8768cdcbe494b8b11ec318153.jpg

Fell End nature reserve, Lancashire  -  13/06/20

One from home.

73.  Carrion Crow

P1260982c.jpg.b45ed248fac4dc56072112336274c9b9.jpg

Front garden  -  20/06/20

74.  Black-tailed Godwit

P1270109c.jpg.3189d22c65df6c05125388afea84e454.jpg

P1270111c.jpg.5b60d093565113297ab158e648d72acf.jpg

Conder Green, Nr Lancaster  -  27/06/20

Now, I have two birds seen in the Lake District that I am ashamed to say I am struggling to identify.

The first is very hazy because we were walking in cloud cover.  I thought it might have been a Spotted flycatcher when I took it, but I am pretty sure it isn't and the second I first thought female Wheatear but it isn't that either.  I have gone through everything else I can think of but I am just not seeing it.  Probably having a moment and it is really obvious so any clues will be welcome. :)

75.  Northern Wheatear  

P1260917c.jpg.1ddee6aaa2b2dcf54f61856ef0776807.jpg

P1270045c.jpg.2c07354cfd74c14b9f461de172f43c4a.jpg

Edited by Zim Girl
ID of bird added

I would have guessed Wheatear for the second one (but I advise you to wait for an expert to come on:D)

Towlersonsafari

For what its worth i think they are both immature wheatears '  @Zim Girl

At the risk of being shot down, I think they are the same species. The legs look a bit long for a Spotted Flycatcher but the plumage looks as though it could be.

21 hours ago, Towlersonsafari said:

For what its worth i think they are both immature wheatears '  @Zim Girl

I agree. Location would dictate against a Spotted fly anyway.

Towlersonsafari

You have made an old man very happy @Galana

Wheatear they are then, juveniles can be so tricky.  Thanks everyone.

Edited by Zim Girl

Last week, I had two more nice sightings in the garden, the second being a garden first.

A family of Long-tailed Tits were flitting between the feeders and a tree and allowed me to get quite close.

76.  Long-tailed Tit

P1270165c.jpg.804b4e47c253d547d99ba97d7b9712d5.jpg

P1270180c.jpg.b4c807c49d8d7ef6dea24b66f2fa043a.jpg

Back garden  -  30/06/20

While I was watching the LTT's this bird popped onto the branch and looked straight at me.  I have heard them on occasion but this is the first time I have seen one in the garden.

77.  Common Chiffchaff

P1270187c.jpg.17dce9f9e7d7e4bbb0299cf990cff21a.jpg

P1270206c.jpg.febdef0471bc0ca02eb832b6f361dd68.jpg

Back garden  -  30/06/20

Edited by Zim Girl

@Zim Girl,  The Black Tailed Godwit is lovely with his chestnut plumage. They must be tough little ponies living out there.

2 hours ago, elefromoz said:

@Zim Girl,  The Black Tailed Godwit is lovely with his chestnut plumage. They must be tough little ponies living out there.

Thank you, and yes the fell pony is a hardy breed!

• 2 months later...

Finally I can add another bird!!   

This bird had been eluding me all year. Many times I have seen one flying through the garden, small piles of feathers scattered around the lawn proving their success.

Today I heard the panicked squawks of it's prey and saw it fly from a bush onto the side fence, luckily it stayed just long enough for me to grab a couple of pictures.  It was raining and through glass but I am happy nonetheless!

78.  Eurasian Sparrowhawk

P1270469c.jpg.9185141569bf8cc2750533baf77e0761.jpg

P1270474c.jpg.7dbeb1b2562d33685f9e1cc4077426a1.jpg

Back garden  -  23/09/20

Great sighting, great photos.

Well done on getting a new bird!

Lovely Sparrowhawk. I've only seen them in the distance, I'd love one on my garden fence - Oh wait a moment, I don't have a fence. :rolleyes: