Sharon's third time's a charm - well maybe

shazdwn

Congratulations on the 100.  The last two are gorgeous, more like paintings!

Very artsy additions. Congrats on #100!

michael-ibk

Congrats on #100, beautiful photos all the way. As Alex has said before, Australian birds are so gorgeous, rainbow-bathed indeed. Out of your "artsy" ones I really love the Jacana high key one - stunning. Glad to hear you managed to get away, diving in Timor must have been wonderful. Would you believe I saw one of your Timor birds here in Europe just a few days ago? A countable one?

7 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Congrats on #100, beautiful photos all the way. As Alex has said before, Australian birds are so gorgeous, rainbow-bathed indeed. Out of your "artsy" ones I really love the Jacana high key one - stunning. Glad to hear you managed to get away, diving in Timor must have been wonderful. Would you believe I saw one of your Timor birds here in Europe just a few days ago? A countable one?

Thanks Michael. Which one? 

michael-ibk

The Munia. 

Darwin birders have been having a great time of late as there have been an influx of vagrants from inland.  Not sure what is happening further south but it has been a most unusual start to the dry season bird wise.  Most I have so far missed (painted finch, budgerigar, flock pigeon, star finch) but yesterday I did get this one.  

107/NT63 - Diamond Dove, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia - 4 June 2022

_03A0363.jpg

But what has people really excited is these guys.  Those who follow my thread will know that Gouldian Finches have been my nemesis bird - well no more.  A flock of around 100 has arrived in Darwin and has been hanging around for a couple of months now - they even appear to be showing some breeding behaviour making people speculate that maybe they are here to stay.  Well I don't know about that, but it certainly has made birders out of many people usually not so interested in our feathered friends (unfortunately crowded birding sites is a downside).  Can't see what all the fuss is about really - then again what was that @xelassaid about rainbows?  Already counted but I finally have some images I'm happy with so I'm sharing anyway :D

_03A0079-Edit.jpg

_03A9522-Edit.jpg

_03A1290A-Edit.jpg

_03A9485.jpg

And a more common one

108/NT64 - White-breasted Woodswallow, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia - 4 June 2022

_03A9844.jpg

42 minutes ago, shazdwn said:

Can't see what all the fuss is about really

I can. They are beautiful

Sharon, out of curiosity, how close are you able to get to most of the birds you photograph? What lens do you use most of the time?

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

Sharon, out of curiosity, how close are you able to get to most of the birds you photograph? What lens do you use most of the time?

I typically use a 400mm f2.8 with a 1.4x teleconverter when birding. 

Distance varies a bit, the gouldians let me get about 3m away, others are not so confiding. I use a canon R5 which canon be quite forgiving when it comes to cropping. 

That first shot of the Gouldian Finch is a stunner! 

Top notch equipment for top notch photographer with top notch subject = top notch photos!

Dave Williams
19 hours ago, PeterHG said:

That first shot of the Gouldian Finch is a stunner! 

Agreed, what a stunning bird to look at!

Very pretty and colourful little finch, lovely pictures!

more artistic shots and congrats on the 100th. 

the gouldian finch is always a crowd pleaser and definitely high on my list if i ever get to NT!

• 2 months later...

So I seem to be following on with my dump and run theme for this year - pop in, dump some shots and disappear!!  We are getting towards the end of the dry season now so maybe I'll have a bit more time to participate fully as the year moves on.  

For now here are a few more birds to enjoy - quite possibly in no particular order.  

109/NT65 - Azure Kingfisher, Corroboree Billabong, Northern Territory, Australia - 28 August 2022

_03A0243.jpg

110/NT66 - Red-backed Fairy Wren, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia - 20 July 2022

Unfortunately just the female (although she is very cute), I'll post a repeat if I manage to snag a male in breeding plumage

_03A2551A-Edit - Copy.jpg

Welcome back.

Dump and run is on a par with Shoot and scoot with others.:o

111/NT67 - Sacred Kingfisher, Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve, Northern Territory, Australia - 1 August 2022

_03A1853-flat - Copy.jpg

112/NT68 - Mistletoebird, Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve, Northern Territory, Australia - 1 August 2022

Again just the female

_03A1115.jpg

Edited by shazdwn

113/NT69 - Brown Honeyeater, Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve, Northern Territory, Australia - 1 August 2022

_03A0880A.jpg

114/NT70 - Australasian Figbird, Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve, Northern Territory, Australia - 1 August 2022

_03A0256.jpg

115/NT71 - Whiskered Tern, Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve, Northern Territory, Australia - 1 August 2022

_03A0149.jpg