PeterHG's seventh Big Year

PeterHG

congrats on the lifer pelicans! all great photos as always. 

A very productive trip to Lesvos with so many beautiful birds 

Lovely pictures, well done with the Pelicans!

Dave Williams

Didn't realise you could see Dalmation Pelicans there, that's a great find and sighting.

I could, I have discovered, re-book my Lesvos trip a week later ( why didn't they offer that instead of a no explanation refund letter?) but it's getting a bit late for migration. I think I'll hold fire and decide later in the year or even last minute next year depending on the weather!

Time to add a few I've managed to collect since my return form Lesvos. Long overdue, but shoulder problems make me limit my time at the computer.

189 /NL 99. Common Whitethroat. Arkemheen, May

P5120155-Edit-X2.jpg

The same area also holds its lesser cousin. Adding it here clearly shows the differences between the two.

190 /NL 100. Lesser Whitethroat. Arkemheen, May

P5120177-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

191 /NL 101. Common Cuckoo. Arkemheen, May.

P5120002-Edit-2-X2.jpg

192 /NL 102. Eurasian Jay. Amersfoort, May. Very common, but somehow I always struggle to get a good shot. They tend to be quite shy.

P5120258-X2.jpg

193 /NL 103. Icterine Warbler. Arkemheen, May. I don't see it very often, but this one appeared to have a fixed singing location, so it was a matter of patience....

P5170010-Edit-X2.jpg

Cuckoo and jay in flight ... perfect score!

Dave Williams

Lovely stuff Peter. 200 edging up too!

Lovely shots of the Whitethroats in paticular. Helpful to see the two in the same post

Thank you, @xelas@Dave Williams @TonyQ!

I took a half-day trip to a wetland area near the river Lek, which can be quite prodictive in spring. Also it is one of the few places where seeing Black Terns as almost a certainty. 

194 /NL 104. Black Tern. Zouweboezem, May

P5180161-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

It is also one of the very few places where another of the Marsh Terns breeds albeit with only one pair. Already seen on Lesvos

White-winged Tern.

P5180462-Edit-X2.jpg

I saw 57 species in the area that morning, which is an excellent number. Not many additions, though. But this one was.

195 /NL 105. Common Chaffinch. Zouweboezem, May

P5181106-X2.jpg

In June we spent a week in the north of the country, cycling around and visiting one or two reserves that were in the vicinity. Among our favourites were these grebes. Pretty rare where I live but surprisingly common over there, though very localized.

196 /nl 106. Black-necked Grebe. Groningen, June

P6140819-Edit-X2.jpg

P6140828-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

This also the area where one can find the third marsh tern. Not as rare as the white-winged tern, but still still very uncommon. Already seen and counted on Lesvos.

Whiskered Tern.

P6140807-Edit-X2.jpg

And we were happy to find one of the less common reed warblers.

197 /Nl 107. Marsh Warbler. Groningen, June

P6161572-Edit-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

We also visited a bog area in the north, as yet unknown to us. It is one of the few locations in the country where cranes breed and we were lucky enough to see one, thouh rather distant. The first time I've seen one in the Netherlands.

198 /NL 108. Common Crane. Groningen, June

P6182501-Edit-XL.jpg

It's an area we'll keep in mind for next year. We also got a glimpse of the Red-backed Shrike. Another bird that is very uncommon. Already counted

IMG_1563-Edit-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Late June we drove to the Oostvaardersplassen, a wetland area some 45 kilometres from where I live. We had a lovely walk there with some good birds.

199 /NL 109. Marsh Harrier. Oostvaardersplassen, June.

P6260112-Edit-X2.jpg

From one of the hides we were lucky enough to see a kingfisher catch a sizeable fish. though the dive happened at a distance, it then took the fish to a branch that was much closer. I did manage to catch the kingfisher flying towards us and to my amazement the AF had locked on.

P6260190-Edit-XL.jpg

P6260229-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

A Cetti's Warbler showed nicely, which does not happen very often..... Already seen and counted before,

P6280001-X2.jpg

Near the visitor's centre a pair of redstarts had occupiied a nestbox and with a little patience one of the adults would show up to feed its young. Of course we did not hang around too long, but, although the nestbox was near the path where everybody visiting the reserve passed by, it did not seem to bothetr them much.

200 /NL 110. Common Redstart. Oostvaardersplassen, June.

P6280198-Edit-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG
Spelling

Well done on reaching 200 with some really nice birds and photos 

Congrats on the double century 

Congrats on the second century Peter, and on the amazing pictures!

Congratulations on your 2nd century! The AF of your camera is truly something OOTW ... as is the operator :o!

Good to see your double century being reached and with some excellent pictures as a bonus.

Congratulations on reaching 200.  Beautiful pictures in that last set.

beautiful images, beautiful white-winged tern in breeding plumage, and beautiful redstart. Congrats on the 200th!

Peter Connan

Holy smoke Peter! Some truly amazing shots here!

Thanks, @TonyQ @Tdgraves @pedro maia @xelas @Galana @Zim Girl @Kitsafari @Peter Connan!

Let's deal with some more I thought I already had and some I'll probably won't get a better one of.

201 /NL 111. Common Tern, Arkemheen, June. I am still hoping to find a Sandwich Tern. I have a distant one from Portugal and perhaps that's the one I will have to use eventually. The Avian flu has decimated a few of the colonies I usually visited. Very sad.

P7120041-Edit-X2.jpg

202 /NL 112. Short-toed Treecreeper/ Amersfoort, July. I have the feeling I've seen fewer of them than in previous years and this is the only photo I've got

P7170267-X2.jpg

203 /NL 113. Greenfinch. Flevoland. July

P7180090-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

michael-ibk

Congratulations on #200 Peter, well done. More excellent photos, particularly like the Cuckoo, Grebe and Kingfisher - beautiful. Sorry to hear about your shoulder, get well soon.

Thank you, @michael-ibk.

204 /NL 214. Great Spotted Woodpecker. Flevoland, July. The most common of our woodpeckers.

P7180024-XL.jpg

205 /NL 115. Yellowhammer. Groningen, June. We do not get it where we live, so it was nice to see it in our northernmost province. A heavy crop, though, as it was quite distant

P6130604-Edit-L.jpg

206 /NL 116. Common Swift. Arkemheen, July. In preparation for our South Africa trip in October a friend kindly offered me to borrow his Panasonic 100-400 zoom lens. My fixed 300mm (FF equivalent 600mm) is a fantastic lens, but when I stll hadmt Canon equipment I used to take a zoom lens on our Africa trips. A zoom makes a lot of sense when you are also photographing other wildlife. The Panasonic performed quite well on my Olympus body. The next two were taken with that lens.

P7080395-Edit-X2.jpg

207 /NL 117. Grey Heron. Arkemheen, July.

P7100027-2-Edit-X2.jpg

Last year also Olympus released a 100-400 zoom, so after my day with the Panasoninc I ordered that one to see if it offered the same quality. It did and, due to the fact that it is an Olympus lens I could even attach a teleconverter to it. I think it's a keeper and it's the one I'll take with me in October. Not as fast as the 300mm (F/4) as this is F/5-6.3, but light is usually not the problem and the versatilty is a big plus.

This one is with the Olympus:

208 /NL 118. Sand Martin, Arkemheen July.

P7250458-Edit-X2.jpg