LM's 6th BY, 2021 - in search of consistency, with better photography

lmSA84

Lovely picture of the Hen Harrier.

Dave Williams

Two spectacular birds I'd love to photograph that you nailed, the Harrier and the Lark. The latter would be a lifer and it's in my top 10 wants in the UK. 

Amazing Hen Harrier and Horned Lark.

Isle of Sheppey looks like a good spot!

Two great lifers there for you. Plus Salt water rails.

72. Peregrine Falcon, London, February

I found out recently that a Peregrine Falcon pair are regulars at a church near the park I run in. Since then I each time I went running I was on the look out and once I saw them ran back to get my lens. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

73. Green Woodpecker, London, March

A regular in my garden

spacer.png

74. Rose-Ringed Parakeet, London, March

Another garden regular

spacer.png

75. Great Spotted Woodpecker, London, March

I know feeders are cheating but this one never really seems to come that close

spacer.png

76. Blackcap, London, March

spacer.png

77.  European Siskin, London Wetland Centre, February

I made a special trip to the London Wetland Centre in the hope of getting Siskin, Brambling and Jack Snipe both of which had been regulars at the feeders located in a deep wood

spacer.png

Edited by lmSA84

78. Brambling, London Wetland Centre, February

A lifer and a target for the year and before you ask....No it's not in a cage! It's just the feeder at the Wetland Centre :P 

spacer.png

Edited by lmSA84

79. Stock Dove, London Wetland Centre, February

I have seen the Stock Doves in my garden but just for @michael-ibkI thought I would post a far off shot of Stock Dove :P

spacer.png

michael-ibk

Thanks, makes me feel much better! :D

My other reason for visiting the Wetland Centre was Jack Snipe. In one of the hides three birders were adamant that these were Jack Snipes

spacer.png

spacer.png

@Galana, @michael-ibkand anyone else - what do you think? Unfortunately, I think they're Common Snipe.

This one I know is a Common Snipe and a very accommodating one too :D

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by lmSA84

2 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Thanks, makes me feel much better! :D

I'm always here for you! :D

39 minutes ago, lmSA84 said:

once I saw them ran back to get my lens

Lucky you grabbed the camera as well :P

You have some very nice garden birds! I tend to agree with you on the snipe. The yellow banding on the could point to a Jack Snipe, but I do feel the bill is too long on both visible birds.

4 hours ago, lmSA84 said:

@Galana, @michael-ibkand anyone else -

Both are Common Snipe to me.

Rare to get the beggars to sit but both your subjects have the pale central stripe on the crown. Jack Snipe, I am told, lack this. How does one not see what is not there?

Love the Green Woodpecker!

I have been trying to get a picture of one for the last four years and you get them in your garden - not jealous at all!!

• 3 weeks later...

@Zim Girl- it's funny how it goes. They're common in Central London but I would definitely trade you a few of them for any of your sightings of Garganey, Ring Ouzel, Marsh Tit or Dipper! :D

On 3/29/2022 at 4:54 PM, Galana said:

Both are Common Snipe to me.

Rare to get the beggars to sit but both your subjects have the pale central stripe on the crown. Jack Snipe, I am told, lack this. How does one not see what is not there?

@Galana- It's a good question "How does one not see what is not there" -. Confirmation Bias is a powerful thing! It's happened to me a few times this year already, where I have arrived at a hide or site and a group of birders (often directed by ebird) are adamant that they're looking at some rarity in the distance. I then take picture, get it home, edit it and low and behold it's not what we thought it was - that's the beauty of photography - you can't hide. 

Although, I'm still very grateful to ebird and the group of birders often there as 9/10 they are right! :D

80. Jack Snipe, London Wetland Centre, April

I dipped on the Jack Snipe earlier but a quite day at work afford me a quick trip to the Wetland Centre and this time I got it! A lifer and a target bird for the year. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

81. Pink-Footed Goose, February, East Sussex

I made a small trip to a field just outside Bristol to hopefully see these guys and Bean Geese. Luckily (otherwise it would be a long wasted trip) one of these birds was visible.

spacer.png 

82. Common Goldeneye, Staines Reservoir, February

Another target for the year.

spacer.png