Foxy has a cunning plan onwards and upwards.

Dave Williams

Great bird - and photo!

• 1 month later...
Dave Williams

The 625)Waxwing have landed !

I was watching reports from afar and hoping they would stick around until I got home for my first sighting in many years. The weather was pretty awful today and the forecast is it won't improve this week so grab what you can while the going is good. 53372967511_b2fb80ede7_h.jpgWaxwing.   BY 625 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

@Dave Williams the waxwings are gorgeous. the birders and photographers are having a grand time with the sightings! 

Good to see your success despite gloomy conditions although the gloom has produced a nice atmospheric result.

Don't worry Angie. Your turn will no doubt arrive come. Ours have finished the berries here and left for pastures unknown..

A good thing you grabbed the chance while they were still around. We’ve several sightings here, too, but all pretty far from where I live. 

Dave Williams

Well just to complicate things and to truly demonstrate a total disregard for the rules  :rolleyes: I make the following adjustments to my BYx2 listings.

Two had been duplicated so I replace them with 

a new 505) Little Cormorant

53379622954_168b8ec602_h.jpgLittle Cormorant  BY 505.  Goa 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

and new 538)Lesser Sand Plover

53374920206_37052f1a19_h.jpgLesser Sand Plover.  BY538 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Both shots were taken this year, one I missed from last March, the other very recent. These are within the accepted rules of course, unlike my 621)Pale Flycatcher which only surfaced a year after it was taken. However, just to throw you all off the scent I already had a 621 so it now becomes 627 which is where my BYx2 will continue from.

If you are still reading this and I'm sure most aren't I'll explain further

BYx2?

BD next perhaps. Big Decade!

I'm a bit late off the mark having missed 3 years for the decade but I'm not backtracking now. Life is too complicated.

I'm starting afresh my life list which I never even considered keeping until participating in the BY. Now I'm an avid keeper of useless lists.

I'm sure no one gives a Monkey's ...I don't, but if anyone does I'll happily stand in the corner facing the wall and move my collection elsewhere.

34 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

If you are still reading this and I'm sure most aren't I'll explain further

I'm still reading, still a little confused, but enjoying the photos regardless :) !

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

happily stand in the corner facing the wall and move my collection elsewhere.

Please don't.

I for one get far more enjoyment from looking at your magnificent photos than from any lists.

I also confess that I´m not sure I´m getting your new system Dave, but like Peter don´t care as long as you keep posting. :)

Seriously though, I certainly understand that only going after lifers is more interesting to you. I don´t mind trying to get photos Goldfinches year after year but really could not say the same about Blackbirds or Crows.

9 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Now I'm an avid keeper of useless lists.

I thought you only developed a temporary one coming back from the Pub?

Keep em coming Dai bach!

I'm befuddled by your complex counting, but with your high quality shots, and darn i want to see those critters coming through your garden once in a while, so just keep posting and I'll pretend that I know what you are going on about. 

On 12/3/2023 at 5:47 PM, Dave Williams said:

The 625)Waxwing have landed !

I was watching reports from afar and hoping they would stick around until I got home for my first sighting in many years. The weather was pretty awful today and the forecast is it won't improve this week so grab what you can while the going is good. Waxwing.   BY 625 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I don't believe I've ever seen a waxwing, but Facebook's algorithm clearly thinks I'm now a die-hard birder as I'm getting lots of suggestions to join groups who are very excited about this being a "waxwing winter". From what I can find out, they eat twice their body-weight in berries per day and usually only head to Britain if they run out of berries at home.

No mention of them heading to Oxfordshire yet as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...