Foxy has a cunning plan onwards and upwards.

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

So it was back to a very wet and cold UK. With Christmas approaching and numerous tasks to sort out I have had little time for anything, even updating my BYs until now.

I did manage to get out yesterday and took a trip to Crosby, North Liverpool to seek out a 668)Black-throated Diver

This is a bird that eluded me on my trip to Scotland a couple of years ago and I just had to be envious of those who ventured north and saw one. Of course, being in December this bird was not in breeding plumage and I'm told it's a juvenile.

Whatever, it was a lifer for me so I was pleased to get anything.

53410749348_9b3b70a837_h.jpgBlack-throated Diver by Dave Williams, on Flickr

44 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

666)Heart-spotted Woodpecker

Heart-spotted Woodpecker.  BY666 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Now I know Galana's Rule, I can spot a text-book example easily! And an impressive total (with over a week still to go).

Has anyone on here ever made it to 1,000?

Dave Williams
14 hours ago, JimS said:

Now I know Galana's Rule, I can spot a text-book example easily! And an impressive total (with over a week still to go).

Has anyone on here ever made it to 1,000?

Yes, @michael-ibkmanaged it last year and it's not an easy task to achieve. He gets around!!  He'll beat my two year total this year alone.

I'm nowhere near, mine's an ongoing two year score. Just 160ish additions to my last year's 500.

I decided I didn't want to spend time chasing species I see all the time and concentrate more on new species and try to increase my life list.

To date this year I have 29 from Goa, 10 from Lesvos and3 in the UK. 42 lifers...happy with that!

Edited by Dave Williams

@Dave Williams, just for my curiosity, how many birds did you score in Goa (and around)? As for the lifers, I think I will wait till 2026 (10 years of birding) to start something similar. South America is still a virgin birding ground for me (us).

Dave Williams
6 minutes ago, xelas said:

@Dave Williams, just for my curiosity, how many birds did you score in Goa (and around)? As for the lifers, I think I will wait till 2026 (10 years of birding) to start something similar. South America is still a virgin birding ground for me (us).

Only 130 and that was in two visits that totalled 7 weeks!   90 in North Goa and the rest in the south, most at Backwoods camp over 2 and a half days. In the UK I added 10 new birds, ( none on my week on the Isle of May), and Lesvos where I did most of my birding this year just 24 which was actually pretty good as I went to Spain,Cyprus and Bulgaria last year which accounted for many of the species I saw in Lesvos.

Next year I am visiting places I haven't been for the last two years so I should add quite a few more but I'm not expecting much out of the UK again. I have 10 species that are achievable if I make a big effort...which I probably won't!

Some really beautiful birds in these last couple of pages Dave!

On 12/21/2023 at 2:56 PM, Peter Connan said:

Some really beautiful birds in these last couple of pages Dave!

+1 on that! Love your shot of the Frogmouth. That must have been tricky to get.

Congrats on the Diver, I think it´s particularly satisfying to get a  lifer at home. Lots of great birds from India too, especially like the Woodpecker and the Trogon.

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Williams

That's it for me folks, in the words of Leonard Cohen 'I'm leaving the table, I'm out of of the game".

I shall be watching on occasion , just as I have done this year but I haven't got the time or energy to take part anymore.

I shall try to concentrate on just posting better trip reports.

Happy New Year everyone...keep up the good work!

Sorry to see you go Dave, but I do understand your reasons. Your contributions have certainly boosted the overall quality of the thread and your sense of humour lightened up quite a few discussions. But you can still do that, of course, even on occasional visits. I’m looking forward to your future trip reports. I’ve read quite a few on your blogspot site, but I understand you are no longer using that. I trust you’ll keep us posted where they can be enjoyed. Happy birding in 2024, wherever that may be!

Zim Girl

Sorry to see you go Dave, but looking forward to still seeing your excellent photography in future trip reports.

BRACQUENE

Sorry to hear that Dave and I will certainly miss your sense of humour on the BY  ;) ! 

Why not having something like a "lifer & twitcher" type of Big Year? I am sure that we will all appreciate posts from your side. 

We shall miss your contributions but understand your reason.

Peter Connan

Agree with all the others above, your contributions will be sorely missed.

Love your new avatar by the way.

Tdgraves

Our loss is the trip reports gain. 

Dave Williams
19 hours ago, xelas said:

Why not having something like a "lifer & twitcher" type of Big Year? I am sure that we will all appreciate posts from your side. 

That's what I was doing Alex but it's not really the intention of the BY thread to have breakaways who play by different rules. Might confuse others who join up, and that's what's needed really. New blood.

The one thing I have noticed is how many participants have improved their photographic skills since they have taken part. Yes there are the EBCs which many self respecting photographers would never show in public but the reality is that most of us have more bad shots than good ones and they encourage everyone that with more practice their photography can be just as good. 

Thanks for the kind words all. I'm not leaving the building, just leaving the room!

Peter Connan

While the sentiment is noble I hardly see how losing a participant of your caliber is likely to draw new participants? The opposite in fact, the easier the "rules" are, the better, as long as we can maintain the friendly atmosphere, another area at which you are a master.

However, having myself taken a couple of years off, I can hardly criticise.

I agree with the comment on the quality of the photography here. Bird photography is probably one of the more challenging genres, at least in some respects.

Edited by Peter Connan

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

That's what I was doing Alex but it's not really the intention of the BY thread to have breakaways who play by different rules.

I don’t think there are any set rules apart of not showing stuffed birds, roadkills and any bird still in the cage. 

If you need more challenge (and we do need more exotic birds) look into Papua New Guinea. Or Indonesia. Claire would love Bali.