PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

OH, Liverpool vs spurs??!! An all English champions league final.  After those thrilling semis, the final will be a....

😅😅

Sorry @PeterHG back to you. 

1 hour ago, Kitsafari said:

After those thrilling semis, the final will be a....

A one-way  traffic maybe :rolleyes: ... at least we know which one-way :D!

2 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

OH, Liverpool vs spurs??!! An all English champions league final.  After those thrilling semis, the final will be a....

😅😅

Sorry @PeterHG back to you. 

No problem! You will understand, however, that my interest in the final has diminished somewhat after the semi in Amsterdam.....;)

261 (CR 220) Spangle-cheeked Tanager. San Gerardo, Febr. 

i-8dwFTQj-L.jpg

262 (CR 221) Fiery-throated Hummingbird. San Gerardo, Febr. One of the most spectacular hummingbirds we saw.

i-NFXNzqS-XL.jpg

263 (CR 222). Talamanca Hummingbird. San Gerardo, Febr. Formerly known as Magnificent Hummingbird.

i-HXFn5Fj-XL.jpg

264 (CR 223). Scintillant Hummingbird. San Gerardo, Febr. A tiny hummingbird, about the same size as the Volcano Humminbird. Quite common in Batsu Garden.

i-22zkDbB-XL.jpg

i-vJ9hTxD-XL.jpg

Dave Williams

Another fabulous sequence of shots .

265 (CR 224) Stripe-tailed Hummingbird. San Gerardo, Febr. I only managed a shot at one of the feeders.

i-RrTqHS4-L.jpg

266 (CR 225) Silver-throated Tanager. San Gerardo, febr. Another beautiful member of the tanager family and only seen in Batsu garden.

i-J2xkWKm-XL.jpg

267 (CR 226) Flame-coloured tanager. San Gerardo, Febr. And yet another....

i-wSWvz7R-XL.jpg

268 (CR 227) Large-footed Finch. San Gerardo, Febr.

i-4rqXtqH-L.jpg

269 (CR 228) White-naped Brush Finch. San Gerardo, Febr. Still in Batsu Garden. It stayed hidden most of the time but every now and then it showed beautifully.

i-XdthnKL-XL.jpg

270 (CR 229) Rufous-collared Sparrow. San Gerardo, Febr. Quite common and easily ignored, but it would be wrong to do so. A handsome sparrow, in my view.

i-m9HjLJB-XL.jpg

271 (CR 230) Tennessee Warbler. San Gerardo, Febr. Unless I still come across an overlooked photo, this common North American migrant finishes my list of Costa Rica birds. It is really a great birding country with quite a few spots that offered good photo opportunities. Besides that we stayed at very nice locations, spent a few relaxing days at the beach and  met some interesting people. Now it's time to add some local photos again. After all, we've been back since late February. Not too worry, though, with no more trips coming up this year ( we think....)I certainly won't compete for a top-ranking ;). It's good fun anyway and it gets me out in the field.

i-vgqSWJT-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

And just to show that colour can also be found in the local patches these two I took yesterday. If one takes the time the Bluethroat can usually be seen in this location. When singing the Bluethroat will sometimes do a short display flight, like the Sedge warbler, but up till now I had never been able to capture that. This particularly individual repeated the flight several times, so with some patience and luck I managed this shot. Only one or two out of some 30 were successful, but it's the one keeper that counts.

272. Bluethroat. Arkemheen, May

i-VHM3Btb-L.jpg

i-K8JS722-L.jpg

Impressive number of top notch photos of Costa Rica's birds. I hope you have had (much) better weather then we had. Would love to find a Bluethroat myself, never seen on in Slovenia.

Peter Connan

Some really great shots from CR Peter, but that Bluethroat! Wow!

Excellent photos from Costa Rica, and a great total.

The Bluethroat is magnificent!

michael-ibk

Second that, absolutely fantastic Bluethroat photo. And bravo to a stunning Costa Rica series, so many beautiful photos. Really enjoyed seeing many "familiar feathers" again, and even more so all the different species you managed to find.

I have commented before on your excellent (and enviable) CR compilation but that Blue-throat is mind blowing.

Many thanks, @xelas, @Peter Connan, @TonyQ, @michael-ibk, @Galana!

On 5/28/2019 at 9:14 AM, xelas said:

I hope you have had (much) better weather then we had.

We did, Alex, we did! Not much of a contest there, though...:P

Dave Williams

Nothing I can add really...fabulous....all of them!

scintillating hummers and tanagers but agree with the others on the stunning bluethroat. 

Really superb set of birds from Costa Rica. Especially love the hummingbirds.

Wow, that Bluethroat is wonderful.