PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

177 (CR 136). Orange-bellied Trogon. Monteverde, Febr. 

spacer.png

178 (CR 137). Resplendent Quetzal. Monteverde, Febr. Early in the afternoon our guide took us to the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, where, after only a few minutes, we had great views of Costa Rica's most sought-after member of the Trogon family.

The male:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The female:

spacer.png

And a young male regurgitating an avocado pit. This one was done by the guide, using my iphone and his scope

i-ZqtgLMz-1280.mp4

Peter Connan

Magnificent photos of a beautiful bird!

Terrific. I never knew the Quetzals were Trogons but the female does show the resemblance clearly.

Great photos.

Dave Williams

The  photography is top notch Peter.

Beautiful photos and fascinating birds. On the scope shots - did you have a digiscope attachment or just hold it to the scope? 

Such beauties, quetzals on your photos!

Thank you, @Peter Connan, @Galana, @Dave Williams, @lmSA84, @xelas.

13 hours ago, lmSA84 said:

Beautiful photos and fascinating birds. On the scope shots - did you have a digiscope attachment or just hold it to the scope? 

I do have an attachment, but I didn't take it with me on the trip, so just held to the scope here. I must say our guide was a real expert at that.

179 (CR 138) Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Monteverde, Febr.

i-2M2Pknd-XL.jpg

180 (CR139). Grey-headed Chachalaca. Monteverde, Febr. 

i-tvssMQB-XL.jpg

On our way to the next destination, we stopped for a picnic somewhere along the beach.

181 (CR 140). Magnificent Frigatebird. Pacific coast, Febr.

i-krt9ZLh-L.jpg

182 (CR 141) Brown Pelican. Pacific coast, Febr.

spacer.png

We arrived at Macaw Lodge. We meant to visit the Carara NP from here, but as my wife fell ill there we just stayed at the lodge. Enough to be seen there, fortunately.

183 (CR 142) Spot-crowned Euphonia. Macaw Lodge, Febr.

spacer.png

184 (CR 143). Bananaquit. Macaw Lodge, Febr.

spacer.png

185 (CR 144) Golden-naped Woodpecker. Macaw Lodge, Febr. 

spacer.png

186 (CR 145) Northern Waterthrush. Macaw Lodge, Febr.

spacer.png

187 (CR 146) Cherrie's Tanager. Macaw Lodge, Febr. The Pacific counterpart of the Carribean Passerini's Tanager. There used to be one species, called the Scarlet-rumped Tanager, but this was split into these two separate species. Apparently not all authorities accept this split, but most do and so does my book (so, who am I to argue with that....;)?). The males are so much alike that the book has only one illustration for both species. The female Cherrie's Tanager is a little more colourful that the female Passerini's.

The male:

spacer.png

The female:

spacer.png

188 (CR 147). Muscovy Duck. Macaw Lodge, Febr.

spacer.png

189 (CR 148). White-crowned Parrot. Macaw Lodge, Febr. It flew over, landed in a tree on the other side of the pond and flew off again, before I had a change to walk a few steps to get rid of the branch.

spacer.png

190 (CR 149) Rufous-tailed Hummingbird. Macaw Lodge, febr. One of the commonest hummingbird and easily recognized.

spacer.png

spacer.png

191 (CR 150) Charming Hummingbird. Macaw Lodge, Febr. Only seen at this location.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Peter Connan

Magnificent!

Awesome Humming Birds (or should that be Hummingbirds?) and so many other lovely images too

Wow, you did really well at Macaw Lodge. Lovely photos.

192 (CR 151) Costa Rican Swift. Macaw Lodge, Febr.

spacer.png