Tsavo West, Amboseli, Meru & Samburu — January, 2015

Tom Kellie

Each time that I read any comments from you, I feel inspired. You're such a supportive person, which I highly appreciate.

It would be a great pleasure to someday be on a game drive with you, as I'd learn from your comments and I'd enjoy being with a kindred spirit.

That indeterminate misty haze was moist and cool, persisting throughout the first hour and a half of the game drive, spreading a primordial quiet over the landscape.

A thousand thanks for your kindness and encouragement!

Tom K.

Thanks, Tom, and the feeling is mutual. Though I daresay it would be me learning from you!

I did not know that the dragonfly ranked so highly for you, but then they are elegant little creatures, and especially so when captured with such attention to detail.

Great job with the giraffes, rhinos, and European Roller, as well.

Tom Kellie

Thanks, Tom, and the feeling is mutual. Though I daresay it would be me learning from you!

I did not know that the dragonfly ranked so highly for you, but then they are elegant little creatures, and especially so when captured with such attention to detail.

Great job with the giraffes, rhinos, and European Roller, as well.

~ @@Marks

You're much too kind! Many thanks for such encouraging comments!

Dragonflies clean the board with regard to natural selection's ‘greatest hits’. When their basic body plan emerged in the Carboniferous era, it so well suited their ecological niche that they've more or less remained unchanged for the 300,000,000 years since. Their vision is unparalleled, their intelligence and adaptability has been demonstrated in various ways. Their resilience to varied climates affords them outstanding survivor ability.

I'm truly pleased that you liked the various image sets which you mentioned above. I felt fortunate to have seen firsthand so many species, thus enjoy sharing their images on Safaritalk.

My hope with this trip report has been to illustrate to Safaritalk visitors the range of wildlife sightings possible during a fairly ordinary safari.

It's encouragement from active Safaritalk members like you which sustains my writing and image uploading.

Many thanks!

Tom K.

TheKenyanCamper

@@Tom Kellie

i thought I should give this report the respect it deserves and wait to get to the end (or thereabouts) to comment. I have been to all these places you have written about, some 5 times over. I am always aware how blessed am I do live in a country where all these beautiful places are within reach on a weekend. However sometimes this does make it a "normal" occourence and the wonderment is slightly tempered!

However your article has re-ignited the reason i started travelling in the first place. Over the years I have devoured many articles, reports, blogs etc but none has reminded me so much about places i have been than yours. Your writing style (I was actually reading it in what I imagined your voice to be), your images and the attention to every little detail made me feel I was on the trip with you.

Thank you for sharing, I have travelled through your words and what a journey it was.

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie

i thought I should give this report the respect it deserves and wait to get to the end (or thereabouts) to comment. I have been to all these places you have written about, some 5 times over. I am always aware how blessed am I do live in a country where all these beautiful places are within reach on a weekend. However sometimes this does make it a "normal" occourence and the wonderment is slightly tempered!

However your article has re-ignited the reason i started travelling in the first place. Over the years I have devoured many articles, reports, blogs etc but none has reminded me so much about places i have been than yours. Your writing style (I was actually reading it in what I imagined your voice to be), your images and the attention to every little detail made me feel I was on the trip with you.

Thank you for sharing, I have travelled through your words and what a journey it was.

~ @@TheKenyanCamper

Reading your flattering, highly generous comments is a mood-booster to begin my Friday morning.

I'll be in the classroom from 6:40 am to 5:10 pm today, with 8 full hours of graduate classes.

For the next few days my time and energy will be centered on reading, marking and writing comments on more than 200 student examinations, which are essay-like explanations of ecological phenomena.

It moves me to read your most kind words. If the trip report elicits such a response from a veteran Kenyan naturalist and safari-goer, then it's worth the effort to prepare and post it.

I essentially write as I think. What appears in the trip report is near to stream-of-consciousness. All aspects of ecology are of highest interest to me, in that they are factors in the overall daily functioning of the biome.

I'm pleased to note that the trip report is not yet completed. Knowing what remains unrevealed, it's very possible that the ending, in Samburu, may be of considerable interest to Safaritalk members as there were several encounters with substantial drama.

Please know that such detailed, thoughtfully written comments as yours are most welcome, in that they encourage one to persist in writing and uploading.

With MUCH Appreciation,

Tom K.

Very taken with the Odonata images. I think that they are quite tricky to photograph nicely, well at least I find them difficult!

~ @@twaffle

I'm with you on the devilish challenge of obtaining satisfactory Odonata images.

Their size, visual complexity, morphological intricacy and tendency to fly off all impede smooth portraiture of their elegance.

I'm flattered and honored that you responded positively to the sampler, as that's one of my own favorite sets.

It's in a very special little corner of Meru, to which I sometimes daydream of returning, as they're likely there, lovely as ever.

Tom K.

Which stream is it? We sometimes get visitors with special interests and it would be great to know..

Tom Kellie

Which stream is it? We sometimes get visitors with special interests and it would be great to know..

~ Hello, @@nhanq

I've had the great pleasure of being one of those guests twice — in October, 2014 and in January, 2015.

It's also very possible that I'll once again be your guest in July of this year, two months hence.

My stays at the Murera Springs Eco Lodge have both been top-notch, which is why I'm looking forward to a third stay within a twelve-month period.

I'll do my best to describe where the Meru National Park ‘dragonfly stream’ is located.

When one intends to visit the Rhino Sanctuary, no matter where one might be coming from, there's a track which runs alongside the outer perimeter fence until it reaches the KWS Ranger-controlled gate.

About 7 to 10 minutes of moderate driving before reaching the Rhino Sanctuary gate, the track briefly dips downward into a shallow stream with tall trees overhead. There's nothing comparable in the vicinity. A vehicle must briefly dip into the water in order to pass.

If one were to pause mid-stream, looking around on the reeds there will reveal a great variety of dragonfly species.

There are also butterflies in tall grass, presumably attracted by the flowing water.

As I'm the passenger, rather than the driver, that's the most accurate description which I might offer.

All Safaritalk members ought to know that your chef makes a splendid dessert, which is a cake with honey-passionfruit sauce. Remembering it here in Beijing is ample incentive to return to Meru National Park and once again enjoy the hospitality of the Murera Springs Eco Lodge.

With Cordial Best Wishes,

Tom K.

~ Hello, @@nhanq

I've had the great pleasure of being one of those guests twice — in October, 2014 and in January, 2015.

It's also very possible that I'll once again be your guest in July of this year, two months hence.

My stays at the Murera Springs Eco Lodge have both been top-notch, which is why I'm looking forward to a third stay within a twelve-month period.

I'll do my best to describe where the Meru National Park ‘dragonfly stream’ is located.

When one intends to visit the Rhino Sanctuary, no matter where one might be coming from, there's a track which runs alongside the outer perimeter fence until it reaches the KWS Ranger-controlled gate.

About 7 to 10 minutes of moderate driving before reaching the Rhino Sanctuary gate, the track briefly dips downward into a shallow stream with tall trees overhead. There's nothing comparable in the vicinity. A vehicle must briefly dip into the water in order to pass.

If one were to pause mid-stream, looking around on the reeds there will reveal a great variety of dragonfly species.

There are also butterflies in tall grass, presumably attracted by the flowing water.

As I'm the passenger, rather than the driver, that's the most accurate description which I might offer.

All Safaritalk members ought to know that your chef makes a splendid dessert, which is a cake with honey-passionfruit sauce. Remembering it here in Beijing is ample incentive to return to Meru National Park and once again enjoy the hospitality of the Murera Springs Eco Lodge.

With Cordial Best Wishes,

Tom K.

Thanks Tom and most welcome back. And I know the place, that river crossing before the sanctuary is home to many birds like the endemic Hinde's Pied Babbler and worth a stop.

Tom Kellie

Thanks Tom and most welcome back. And I know the place, that river crossing before the sanctuary is home to many birds like the endemic Hinde's Pied Babbler and worth a stop.

~ @@nhanq

Wow! That's very, very interesting.

Thank you so much for letting me know.

I'll certainly keep that in mind and let my guide, Anthony Gitau, know about it. He's also a talented bird photographer who uses fine camera equipment.

Both in October, 2014 and in January, 2015 we stopped mid-stream in that river crossing, enjoying the stream, observing what was there.

It's one of the most special places in Meru, from my standpoint.

I've confirmed and pre-paid a safari in Kenya from 17 to 30 July. Although I'm not certain, it's highly probable that it will include a 3rd visit to the Murera Springs Eco Lodge.

Again, I highly appreciate your tip about birds and Hinde's Pied Babbler.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

Love the "ears forward" rhino shot"... Now I am drifting through this report. Italmost diesn't matter if you do it in order or not as every post is a snapshot. I quite like guessing where I am looking at and then scrolling up to see if I am correct (answer: not always).

• 2 weeks later...

Love the "ears forward" rhino shot"... Now I am drifting through this report. Italmost diesn't matter if you do it in order or not as every post is a snapshot. I quite like guessing where I am looking at and then scrolling up to see if I am correct (answer: not always).

~ @@pault

I'm not in the least a cineaste.

Strictly a snapshot shutterbug.

Each subject stand alone.

Yet together, the entire tale.

After this weekend, more!

The tale's not finished.

Tom K.

I am caught up with you now to post #460 and enjoying the safari big (rhinos, hippos) and small (grasshopper prey of the Lilac breasted Roller)!

I am caught up with you now to post #460 and enjoying the safari big (rhinos, hippos) and small (grasshopper prey of the Lilac breasted Roller)!

~ @@Atravelynn

I'm very, very moved that you'd look through all of the posts!

Thank you so much, as your substantial experience on safaris, taking photos and reading years worth of trip reports qualifies you to be the most discerning of visitors.

As it happens, I'm finally able to resume posting installments on the trip report.

There's a final batch of examinations to grade and final course grades to calculate, after which more time for writing and uploading will be available.

Reading your comment tonight lifted my spirits!

Thank you so much.

Tom K.

Pied Kingfishers at the Hippo Pool

Observing the Hippo Pool was a highlight of the safari, due to the tranquil atmosphere, filtered sunlight,

bird songs and the care of the adult hippos for the baby in their midst. An additional special sighting

concerned a pair of Ceryle rudis, Pied Kingfishers. Their nest was in one of several rounded cavities

in the earthen bank dropping into the Hippo Pool. They perched on branches overhead as well as

on an old stump at the water's edge, before flying upward, banking their wings to fly straight into

their nest. Exhilarating to observe in such a peaceful setting, undisturbed by life's cares!

post-49296-0-81603200-1434119171_thumb.jpg

Perched Near the Bank with Nesting Holes

post-49296-0-08896600-1434119210_thumb.jpg

Taking Flight

post-49296-0-16748500-1434119252_thumb.jpg

Approaching the Bankside Nest

post-49296-0-50952700-1434119290_thumb.jpg

At the Nest Hole

post-49296-0-40780400-1434119329_thumb.jpg

Resident Pied Kingfisher

post-49296-0-21466900-1434119363_thumb.jpg

Ceryle rudis Pair

post-49296-0-64088000-1434119401_thumb.jpg

Pied Kingfisher with Palm Fronds

michael-ibk

Always love the Pieds - among my very favourite birds.

I was just going to send @@michael-ibk over here to enjoy your hovering PKFs! He beat me to it! A picturesque background for the hovering.

I agree about the Pied Kingfisher - and you have caught it really well flying into the hole in the bank. It is amazing the coordination that allows it to do that.

Waterbucks at Midday

Throughout Meru National Park waterbuck were observed, generally in small groups. At midday we passed

several waterbuck standing in shallow pools — puddles, actually — calm and unhurried, despite our

presence. I wondered how midday heat affects them, as their pelage is fairly dense. Both female

and male waterbuck appeal to me, for their solidity of form and their subdued temperament.

post-49296-0-00601600-1434127303_thumb.jpg

Female Waterbuck in Midday Sun

post-49296-0-52624500-1434127338_thumb.jpg

Standing in a Small Pool

post-49296-0-56552000-1434127374_thumb.jpg

Waterbuck in Shade

post-49296-0-03986000-1434127411_thumb.jpg

Palm and Waterbuck

post-49296-0-67259200-1434127449_thumb.jpg

Waterbucks with Baboons

Always love the Pieds - among my very favourite birds.

~ @@michael-ibk

They're a species with a little bit of everything, aren't they?

Brilliant harlequinesque plumage, acrobatic flying skills, a certain avian panache.

I feel as you do about them!

Tom K.

I was just going to send @@michael-ibk over here to enjoy your hovering PKFs! He beat me to it! A picturesque background for the hovering.

~ @@Atravelynn

You're right — it was such a photogenic location.

From what I observed, it might be confidently recommended to any Safaritalk members who visit Meru National Park that a stop at the Hippo Pool is worth the trouble.

If one walks down the short, tree-shaded path to observe the hippos, the Pied Kingfisher nest holes may be readily observed by looking on the opposite side of the pool, to the right.

They're unmistakable, and appear to have been in active use for some time. Presumably there's a continuous supply of invertebrate prey around the Hippo Pool.

Tom K.

I agree about the Pied Kingfisher - and you have caught it really well flying into the hole in the bank. It is amazing the coordination that allows it to do that.

~ @@TonyQ

Their aerial acrobatics are a joy to observe!

They swooped upwards, sharply banked, plunged down at an angle, straight into the nest hole.

We watched this process several times, admiring the avian athleticism enabling them to put on such a show.

The bankside nest cavities presumably protect their eggs and nestlings from various predators.

Tom K.

In and Out of Shade

Midday in Meru brings thoughts of shade, for the intense solar radiation is at a maximum, affecting

plants, birds and mammals. We were driving back towards the gate, observing how wildlife coped

with the midday sunshine. Egrets, Baboons and Reticulated Giraffes were relatively still, or

slowed-down, the heat diminishing activity. Trees or larger bushes offering shade are a

blessing for wildlife, which may be seen huddling in the cooler shadows until

the solar disk passes farther to the west.

post-49296-0-18667400-1434134394_thumb.jpg

Three in a Tree

post-49296-0-47027200-1434134430_thumb.jpg

Reticulation

post-49296-0-01091600-1434134473_thumb.jpg

Acacia Browser

post-49296-0-76508400-1434134524_thumb.jpg

Ardea alba with a Loose Feather

post-49296-0-34448900-1434134567_thumb.jpg

Shade-giver

post-49296-0-24038800-1434134598_thumb.jpg

No Midday Shade

post-49296-0-80633000-1434134639_thumb.jpg

In the Shade

Love the roller with the grasshopper shots. So lucky that you caught something like that and so clearly! And the ostriches and waterbucks. You made me appreciate both anew with those.

~ @@Atravelynn

You're right — it was such a photogenic location.

From what I observed, it might be confidently recommended to any Safaritalk members who visit Meru National Park that a stop at the Hippo Pool is worth the trouble.

If one walks down the short, tree-shaded path to observe the hippos, the Pied Kingfisher nest holes may be readily observed by looking on the opposite side of the pool, to the right.

They're unmistakable, and appear to have been in active use for some time. Presumably there's a continuous supply of invertebrate prey around the Hippo Pool. And sometimes buffalo, which can be hidden in the surrounding thick vegetation, as I recall.

Tom K.

Love the roller with the grasshopper shots. So lucky that you caught something like that and so clearly! And the ostriches and waterbucks. You made me appreciate both anew with those.

~ @@amybatt

Thank you for telling that to me!

When I read that a photograph enhanced appreciation of any species, it's deeply satisfying.

Ostriches and waterbucks are charming! I'm delighted that you liked the images!

Tom K.

They're unmistakable, and appear to have been in active use for some time. Presumably there's a continuous supply of invertebrate prey around the Hippo Pool. And sometimes buffalo, which can be hidden in the surrounding thick vegetation, as I recall.

~ @@Atravelynn

That's very useful to know!

Thank you for telling me, and thereby giving me an idea for my next visit.

It's highly possible that I'll return to Meru when I'm in Kenya next month.

If I do, a second Hippo Pool visit will be a must.

When I was there in January, I had the persistent sensation that ‘something else’ was nearby.

Broken twigs, a faint odor, a small tuft of hair — buffalo might well have been what I sensed but didn't observe.

Next time I'll be more observant, not letting a baby hippo and acrobatic Pied Kingfishers take all of my glances.

Many Thanks!

Tom K.