Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

I do love your Sedge Warblers. They are always the first singers in the reed beds in Spring and , as you say, very vocal. Not always easy to get a clear shot of, but you got a few beauties. And also with the swifts, of course. Beautiful! 

Another vote for the Sedge Warbler - lovely photo.

Dave Williams

If someone correctly ID's this I'll claim it.:lol: I think you'll be a long time guessing but if you get it right it has to be one of my best EBC's ever. Nice bramble too, it was sat on that a fraction earlier.

BH2I8879.jpg

Way to go Dai Bach!  Reed Buntng.

Dave Williams
11 hours ago, Galana said:

Way to go Dai Bach!  Reed Buntng.

Already got one of those Fred.

I don't think you have Common Whitethroat though. :lol:

Dave Williams

@Galana  That is very impressive Fred! I guess the brambles were the biggest clue but nevertheless, 2nd go....something else. Take a bow sir!

So I claim my 306th but as I can't edit that entry I'll post another shot that I took this morning when I went back for another go!

Common Whitethroat.

40057281510_9f4fec3c20_b.jpgCommon Whitethroat  Sylvia communis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

307) Garden Warbler

Another summer visitor has arrived at our local reserve. A bit of a shy one, had me waiting for over an hour to get a glimpse.

27024562567_aecb5eb080_b.jpgGarden Warbler  Sylvia borin by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Great shot of the Whitethroat! I can’t seem to get even near them at the moment 

That Whitethroat shot is just incredible! ( well they both are, but I am referring to the second one....)

Dave Williams

308)Ruff.

I have been ruffing it quite a bit these last few days, last night was the first spent in a bed since Sunday.Absolutely blissful sleep as the previous night I spent freezing lying in a box waiting for the Black Grouse lek that never happened.My worst night in memory from a comfort point of view so consequently when it was suggested that I spent the next two nights in another hide waiting for the Ruff lek I decided against it even though a sleeping bag was on offer. Instead of wading through a quagmire of thigh deep mud we ( my pal Mike who is travelling with me) decided to rig a different pop-up hide in a different place and in a pleasant 4 hours got some decent views of a couple of male Ruff in full breeding plumage, something I have long wanted to see.

42036760161_2340f0505c_b.jpgRuff  Calidris pugnax by Dave Williams, on Flickr

That one we named Blackie.

42036760961_9ec3922cbb_b.jpgRuff  Calidris pugnax by Dave Williams, on Flickr

You don't have to be a genius to work out his name either.

42036760541_05a071d4cb_b.jpgRuff  Calidris pugnax by Dave Williams, on Flickr

after 5 days in Estonia I have to admit it's not been the best for photo birding but I do have some winning EBC's to share later.

The highlight though was 2 nights in a Brown Bear hide. What a beast, what a memory.

40228851410_9e1d8e163f_b.jpgBrown Bear by Dave Williams, on Flickr

That's one big bear. The only downside was they don't come out until it's going dark!

Wow, they look amazing!  And what a Bear:)

I knew you were quiet for a reason.

Great photos of the Ruffs and the Bear.

I am sure @xelas will point out that SLO is good for bears too.

Looking forward to some EBCs. On a technical note would an EBC of a Ruff be a Rough!

5 minutes ago, Galana said:

I knew you were quiet for a reason.

Great photos of the Ruffs and the Bear.

I am sure @xelas will point out that SLO is good for bears too.

Looking forward to some EBCs. On a technical note would an EBC of a Ruff be a Rough!

Excellent for bears; and good for birds also. And much closer then Estonia. Maybe even more affordable, specially if using the services of fellow Safari Pal :D.

The Ruff is fantastic; one can get those great photos in Europe only from a hide. Now back to computer, birds are waiting to be posted :lol:.

Peter Connan

Fantastic Ruff shots, and a great bear too.

Great photos of the Ruff and what an EBC (Every Bear Counts) shot!

Dave Williams

309) Bearded Reedling.

This seems to be the accepted name now but I have always known them as Bearded Tits. Not the easiest species to get a clear view of that's for sure although my experience is limited to  the three occasions I have seen them.

41210844945_e53b140ceb_b.jpgBearded Reedling   Panurus biarmicus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Finally caught up. So many birds I've never seen before. Far too many good images to mention separately but I did like the Sand & Kentish plovers.

I know what you mean about WBSE (post #419) ~ they're as big as a barn door. Nice flight pose on that harrier (#397 i think), lovely image.

Not sure what you're doing with sharpening, but a halo is very evident on a few images.

Dave Williams

@Geoff You are right about the halo, must be too much sharpening and when when I use Aperture and my laptop for PP.

7 hours ago, Geoff said:

Not sure what you're doing with sharpening, but a halo is very evident on a few images.

@Geoff please indicate those photos (by number); I know my sharpening technique lacks a lot also, and would like to improve in that department of PP.  Or better, do this on my Big Year thread.

@Dave Williams beautiful moustaches, I know how hard is to find the bird and more so to get a good photo of it! Well done!

Dave Williams

@xelas I'm struggling to keep up but the chase is on Alex. My Estonia trip ends tomorrow and it's been very poor on quality opportunities but I have added a few in numbers. I'll sort them when I get home.

BH2I0947.jpg

@Dave Williams I must go to nearby pond to get a healthy supply of tortoise photos :D in exchange of yours hares! Looking forward to see your Estonia birds, this country is becoming a hot spot among European birders. What about Belarus and Georgia??