B.Y. 2019. The Tortoise rules!

Dave Williams

Congratulations on 300,, I look forward to more from SA

Dave Williams

302) Hadada Ibis

First thing in the morning on the lawn in Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp.

Once heard never forgotten. Noisy critters, ruined sleep in a few places!

48953480316_407fde572f_b.jpgHadada Ibis  Bostrychia hagedash by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

303)Bronze-winged Courser

A pair spotted sat on the edge of the road by Claire, and the only ones we saw. By the time I stooped, reversed and leant over her to get the shot, they were away in the long grass!

48952927433_55b849af4f_b.jpgBronze-winged Courser Rhinoptilus chalcopterus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

305)Crowned Lapwing

Seen several time throughout the park, what surprised more was seeing one in J'burg suburbia on the grass verge. Mind you, our guest house had Hadada Ibis on their lawn too!

48953670801_5576087133_b.jpgCrowned Lapwing  Vanellus coronatus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

307) Lappet-faced Vulture

Only seen a couple of times, at the remains of a kill with White-backed and Hooded Vutures ( the latter seen so many times in The Gambia early this year, they seem to have far more vultures there than in Kruger)

48953506006_6da33b4e9a_b.jpgLappet-faced Vulture  Torgos tracheliotos by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

308)Fork-tailed Drongo

One of the most common birds seen, so much so that having taken a shot on the first day I didn't pay much attention after that. Then i realised I might have been missing Square-tailed ones. Ooops!

48953335701_beb70d4409_b.jpgFork-tailed Drongo  Dicrurus adsimilis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

1 hour ago, Tdgraves said:

@Dave Williams I think that your sunbird is a marico

So do I. I have never seen a DB with a dark belly.

Maybe you should also look at the colour of your "Village Indigo Birds" bill and legs?

This is what my book says for the real bird. "The combination of white or pinkish white bill, legs and feet distinguish both male and female from other Indigo birds in S. Africa.

If, indeed, your bird is an Indigo bird and not a Widowbird or Quelea..

Apart from that, congratulations on 300 up and a nice bunch of bird photos.

Edited by Galana
Additional updated comment.

Dave Williams

@Galana and @Tdgraves Thanks both, I don't think I have any other Sunbirds so that will have to remain wrongly tagged( I do dislike the inability to go back and edit posts on this website @Game Warden.

I'm not sure why this feature hasn't been enabled.)

As for the Indigobird/Whydah/Quelea I'll accept your judgement on that one Fred. Make your choice.It was a lone bird I would add.

27 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

@Galana and @Tdgraves Thanks both, I don't think I have any other Sunbirds so that will have to remain wrongly tagged( I do dislike the inability to go back and edit posts on this website @Game Warden.

I'm not sure why this feature hasn't been enabled.)

As for the Indigobird/Whydah/Quelea I'll accept your judgement on that one Fred. Make your choice.It was a lone bird I would add.

You should be able to edit - feature still enabled following changes on website 

p.s. congrats on 300

My next batch are a whole load of “indigo/whydah/other lbjs”...

Dave Williams
8 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

You should be able to edit - feature still enabled following changes on website 

So you can! No one made that known did they?  I can change my spelling mistakes too. Wonderful!!

Congrats on the 300th!

#300 achieved, congratulations also from my side. Now fast forward to #400!

There is an Edit button presented on the post (I am working with PC and tablet) yet it has a time limit (how long is active I have no idea).

Dave Williams
16 minutes ago, xelas said:

#300 achieved, congratulations also from my side. Now fast forward to #400!

There is an Edit button presented on the post (I am working with PC and tablet) yet it has a time limit (how long is active I have no idea).

Used to be just an hour I think, now it seems its not closed at all Alex. I'm not sure if I can reach 400, might have to get outside and search again!!

Edited by Dave Williams

I think edit function is available for two hours (but I have no idea why I think that:))

I can still edit posts from two months ago. Another way to push up the numbers..;)

Dave Williams

I wonder if I can edit other peoples, a way to reduce the numbers:lol:

Congratulations on the 300, and some really magnificent shots to get there!

Crowned and Blacksmith Lapwings are very common on the sidewalks and in the parks here, and Wattled Lapwing and Spotted Thick-knee only slightly less so. The thick-knee though usually hides during the day. Not sure if you saw it, but we scared one up on the way back from dinner.

Edit function is currently not time-limited.

I very much doubt you can edit somebody else's, but of course I can. Fancy lenses is the best currency, followed by Chocolate...

:ph34r:

Edited by Peter Connan