B.Y. 2019. The Tortoise rules!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

@Peter Connan A Christmas Selection Box is on it's way, Mars of course!!

Dave Williams
8 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

Spotted Thick-knee only slightly less so. The thick-knee though usually hides during the day. Not sure if you saw it, but we scared one up on the way back from dinner

:ph34r:

Now you tell me! I didn't see one anywhere!

1 hour ago, TonyQ said:

I think edit function is available for two hours (but I have no idea why I think that:))

Because it used to be two hours @TonyQ

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

As for the Indigobird/Whydah/Quelea I'll accept your judgement on that one Fred. Make your choice.

Well having spent several hours pouring over my books there are many similarities with "Widows, Whydahs, Queleas and Indigo birds" here is what I think.

Features of the bird are pinkish white bill and legs, fairly light belly, supercilium  and a central parting on the head.

Rule out Whydahs on grounds of legs/bill.

Some Widows will work, Red-collared and White-winged especially except there is no central parting.

Red-billed Quelea would not be alone and it does lack central parting.

So we are left with Indigobird. It's not Village cos of already mentioned red bill and legs.

Dusky or Purple?

My original quote was from SASOL Illustrated guide for Purple.

Possible confusion with Dusky which also has pinky white legs and bill in the north of its range.

Dusky likes more forest edge and woodland. Purple frequents Acacia.

Gotta be Purple in Kruger I think.

Who do I send the Invoice to?:P

Dave Williams
4 minutes ago, Galana said:

Well having spent several hours pouring over my books there are many similarities with "Widows, Whydahs, Queleas and Indigo birds" here is what I think.

Features of the bird are pinkish white bill and legs, fairly light belly, supercilium  and a central parting on the head.

Rule out Whydahs on grounds of legs/bill.

Some Widows will work, Red-collared and White-winged especially except there is no central parting.

Red-billed Quelea would not be alone and it does lack central parting.

So we are left with Indigobird. It's not Village cos of already mentioned red bill and legs.

Dusky or Purple?

My original quote was from SASOL Illustrated guide for Purple.

Possible confusion with Dusky which also has pinky white legs and bill in the north of its range.

Dusky likes more forest edge and woodland. Purple frequents Acacia.

Gotta be Purple in Kruger I think.

Who do I send the Invoice to?:P

Brilliant detective work there Fred. Thanks 

I have just taken another look in the book and can't believe I didn't notice it myself. the illustration is above the Village one!!

For you another view!

48957977646_692599927b_b.jpgPurple Indigobird by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

More nice additions. I can hear that Hare panting.

I like your Gabar Juv. Very typical and a great pose.

I would have liked to see more supercilium on your Lesser Swamp.

What are your reasons for the call?

Dave Williams

It was a Reed/Swamp Warbler for sure because of the tail, but you are right the supercilium is missing although it has a long bill, perhaps not that long.

Looking at this view of one that appeared later and is possibly the same bird. I had it down as a Garden Warbler

48957387832_83428830c9_b.jpgGarden Warbler by Dave Williams, on Flickr

So, it's now either African Reed Warbler or Garden Warbler.

One back for the Hare!!

Dave Williams

319) Saddle-billed Stork

Supposedly a rarity, and a lifer for me, but they were seen commonly through out the park where there was water.

Mind you, water was in short supply too!

48957193191_a67efe1c98_b.jpgSaddle-billed Stork by Dave Williams, on Flickr

11 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

So, it's now either African Reed Warbler or Garden Warbler.

Have you considered Marsh? I am not keen on Garden.

Dave Williams
6 minutes ago, Galana said:

Have you considered Marsh? I am not keen on Garden.

Actually yes but the bill is supposedly shorter for Marsh than Reed and the book illustration makes it darker but if you want to twist my arm I'm not averse to pain.:o

37 minutes ago, Galana said:

I can hear that Hare panting.

That hare is not panting anymore, he is looking over his shoulder for any sign of fast approaching Tortoise :blink:, not to be run over and stomped to dust in the process.

Edited by xelas

Congratulations on blazing past #300 Dave, you´re on a roll! Go get that limping Hare! Particularly like the Courser, a very attractive bird.

Dave Williams

I surprised myself that I'm on 42 species after 3 days but it's all about to brake to a halt I think. I really haven't a clue as I don't keep a list but I know it wasn't long before a new bird was a big event for the day!!

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Actually yes but the bill is supposedly shorter for Marsh than Reed

True but the Garden is shorter still. Def Acrocephalus so if you are not happy with Marsh then it's our old friend African Reed. It is posing in reeds so doing its best to help.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

it wasn't long before a new bird was a big event for the day!!

The Law of diminishing returns is not confined to economics.:P

Bad sign when a front runner looks over his shoulder. So easy to trip and fall. Eyes front! Portugals nice at this time of year.

Dave Williams

323)Common Waxbill

The only one we saw .Ntandanyathi Bird Hide.

Met someone in there who knows the guy I went to the Isle of May this year. Small world!

48962183387_a6f1e34054_b.jpgCommon Waxbill by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams