PC's 2019: a lazy year

Peter Connan

Looks like a good outing. Especially like the Green Pig in flight.

I also really like the Green pigeon pictures.

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @Galana and @Zim Girl.

150) Brown-hooded Kingfisher

Bruinkopvisvanger Halcyon albiventris

and 152) Brown-headed Parrot

Bruinkoppapegaai Poicephalus cryptoxanthus

BuddiesODP-1.jpg.73287584db45659925f477e37f2aa205.jpg

ParrotsODP-1.jpg.ddddbf05417355edf3569ca6c2b8afe6.jpg

11 August, Klein Letaba River

Peter Connan

152) Swainson's Spurfowl

Bosvelfisant Pternistes swainsonii

SwainsonODP-1.jpg.8d337d3feae17a97e51e7fd8a4bd6ea3.jpg

11 August, Klein Letaba River.

Peter Connan

153) Little Bee-eater

Kleinbyevreter

Merops pusillus

I think this may well be my favorite South African Bee-eater. In one area in the Molototsi river-bed, there are nesting-holes in a river-bank. One day I really want to visit it during the breeding season, but I suspect I'm going to need a boat.

lbeODP-1.jpg.79b857268cfbfb0b4d075bf34b0cc7dd.jpg

lbeODP-2.jpg.7bef459156a28c8a5c3ee44a2855d0df.jpg

9 August, Molototsi River

Edited by Peter Connan

Peter Connan

154) Hamerkop

Hamerkop Scopus umbretta

HamerkopODP-1.jpg.eac870d771c58a6a09e3c18bfa609c97.jpg

Peter Connan

155) Black Stork

Grootswartooievaar Ciconia nigra

BlackStorkODP-1.jpg.5e756578e909a3ef7f3c9a2aca7a0959.jpg

BlackStorkODP-2.jpg.e38cd481c2babb097df5853df9df48a6.jpg

And that's that for the River Trip.

Edited by Peter Connan

There seem to be a lot of birds for a Lazy Year.

In the UK we have the Trade Description act which deals with falsely described goods:D

Beautiful additions- I agree that the Little Bee-eater is one of the most beautiful 

Dave Williams

Excellent images Peter, some great birds too. The Brown-headed Parrot  is a desirable rarity in The Gambia, it seems more common in SA? Conversely, Little Bee-eater is common and personally I can think of many more attractive ones...maybe it's rarity value that influences one's opinion too? Does mine I guess!

You should get out more often! Not content with some excellent photos but scoring twice with one shot is pushing the bounds a fair bit. Has this been done before? (Mixed flocks being the exception!)

The 2nd Little Bee-eater is superb and despite the species being very frequent across Africa it does possess a certain charm that is hard to beat.

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @TonyQ, @Dave Williams and @Galana

Tony, as an example, in previous years I would have taken evening and morning walks specifically looking for birds. This year I had my wife along, so morning walk time was spent making coffee and breakfast instead, and afternoons were mostly spent just lazing around. I took just one wwlk this year.

Dave, Brown-headed Parrots are always a real treat, and I don't see them often. However, they do tend to go around in fairly large flocks. So when you do see them, it's worth spending a bit of time.

As for the bee-eaters, my book has 6 species, of which i have seen all six, but some only in Botswana. Birdlife SA's list has 10 species, but I have not seen any of the other four.

And don't get me wrong, I really love them all. But the majority are only summer visitors, and I think the only residents are the White-fronted wnd the Little, so I don't think my liking for this one is rarity. I suspect it must be the blue eye-liner?

2 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I suspect it must be the blue eye-liner?

I think you may be right. It just sets off the 'face' into a nice expression. Look at the first of your two. Almost quizzical. I am one ahead of you in the 10, but scored 2 others elsewhere, but the ubiquitous Little B still attracts my lens.  (this from someone who spent 15 days in Namibia last month and never saw one of any species!!:()

All beauties, @Peter Connan! Black Storck in flight is my favourite. Not only you have had a good time driving the Patrol (BTW how did the engine worked?) where it should be driven, you came home with more splendid photographs. Not to mention those early mornings sipping the coffee and late afternoons being lazy :D!

Peter Connan

Thanks @Galana and @xelas

Fred, i didn't see a single Bee-eater in Namibia on our 3-week tour in 2017 either. I did see a few Swallow-tails on the Orange river in my day there though.

Alex, engine worked beautifully. One thing though: with the petrol engine I could risk taking a photo from the window with the engine running. If the shutter speed was 1/2000th or more, the photos would normally be sharp. With the Diesel it is a different story though. Engine must be off...

2 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

With the Diesel it is a different story though. Engine must be off...

Yes, no matter how good your IS or VR is, the engine must be turned off. Glad to hear your Patrol is back on the road :) ready for new adventures in the future. 

7 hours ago, Galana said:

(this from someone who spent 15 days in Namibia last month and never saw one of any species!!:()

@Peter Connan

I think I must be losing it.:rolleyes: Just checked back through the last four trip's checklists. Scored all seven easy ones in 2011 & 2016. down to four in 2017 and lo and behold ONE this year. LB of course. Must just have seen it briefly someplace but the car was probably going too fast and thought I would get a photo for BY later and never did.

December is obviously the better time which is when I usually go.

Peter Connan

Certainly one will see few Bee-eaters in Southern Africa in Winter. Even though the White-fronted is supposed to be a resident, I can't really remember seeing one in winter before. I think I have only seen Little in winter so far.

Edited by Peter Connan

after slowing down to first gear, you've gone straight into third gear! well, lazy no more it seems. 

As always, Peter, really top quality shots of all the birds. even the common myna looks stunning. 

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @Kitsafari

It was a true pleasure to catch up with your additions, the little bee eater is beautiful, it will be shameful when I post the picture I took of the only one I saw, but you did justice to that little fellow.

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @pedro maia

• 3 weeks later...

On the 31st of August, I joined @Tdgraves and her other half at Zibulo.

156) South African Cliff Swallow

Familieswael Hirundo spilodera

Not a great shot, I am only posting it because this is my first sighting of this bird.

Cliff-swallowODP.jpg.1cd1602144ff0b87285b4c5e4ededfe8.jpg

31 August, Zibulo

157) Marsh Sandpiper

Moerasruiter Tringa stagnatilis

MarshSandODP.jpg.8747b1f50c6a44ccfa7640fa027a9635.jpg

31 August, Zibulo

158) Wood Sandpiper

Bosruiter Tringa glareola

WoodSandODP.jpg.78398565b8e1e126b00be8deb7ee1574.jpg

WoodSand2ODP.jpg.be5c4882a257ee9cad0216b09aeee390.jpg

31 August, Zibulo