Zvezda & Alex Part V: The Hare Strikes Back

xelas

A really excellent set of photos. The imaginatively named Multi-coloured Bushshrike is a real beauty.

@shazdwn, @Peter Connan and @Galana: it looks like the government has run out of the budget. They have supported some of the local economy for past 2 months, and if they would not declared the end of the epidemic yesterday, they would have to do so for one more month. However, many of the preventive measures will still be active. For visitors coming from EU there is no more 7-day quarantine. Schools will open next week but not for all students. Public transportation started already this week. Politicians says the epidemic is over but health experts (even top government expert) says this was not their advice. Go figure. Now our son-in-law has a perfect excuse to open also the most successful economy in the world :wacko:!

a very fitting and regal 300th! congrats!

leaping forward with the collection of really stunning sunbirds!

Peter Connan

Alex, sorry to go off topic.

I do think the world needs to get moving again. Here in SA, people are literally dying of hunger. More than are dying from Covid. Yet we stay in lock-down while more and more companies close down, and more and more people lose their jobs. Our government was already bankrupt before the epidemic even started. They have promised help, but as far as I know, nothing has been delivered. Corruption is also rampant again, even in humanitarian endevours.

I am not saying we should carry on regardless though. I believe an attempt should be made to protect those with high risk, and we need to find innovative ways to do business without having to physically meet, and so forth. But we also need to get factories (and other businesses) working.

@Peter Connan I do agree that eventually the life will have to move forward. That is, to move forward as safe as it is possible. And yes, different countries have different underlying problems so they should adopt different protocols. I wish all of us good luck in future weeks and months.

Back to birds. next are the Starlings.

BY 334 / UG 299

Greater Blue-eared Starling - Lamprotornis chalybaeus

1875055677_299StarlingGreaterBlue-eared.JPG.7feaec5ef4031b40d7f9f6d778c044d8.JPG

Lake Mburo, 27-Feb-2020

BY 335 / UG 300

Rüppell's Starling - Lamprotornis purpuroptera

434653605_300StarlingRuppellsLong-tailedA.JPG.edd859cd3c438850b45b2b0ab55e1559.JPG

Lake Mburo, 28-Feb-2020

Well off topic of course but may I ask the obvious question.

3 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

More than are dying from Covid. Yet we stay in lock-down

What would the totals be from Covid IF you had not got lockdown?

Worldwide there have been an extra 1 million cases every 14 days and the rate is showing no signs of slowing..

Apologies @xelas for  inadvertently interrupting your posts.

Edited by Galana

BY 336 / UG 301

Violet-backed Starling - Cinnyricinclus leucogaster

1486583130_301StarlingViolet-backed.JPG.88f36e9f13d1b7b1167ee2bafd20ddae.JPG

Kibale, 11-Feb-2020

BY 337 / UG 302

Sharpe's Starling - Poeoptera sharpii

1837134617_302StarlingSharpes.JPG.f8aca359689a3b9aa81e048ccb024f58.JPG

Lake Bunyonyi, 24-Feb-2020

BY 338 / UG 303

Stuhlmann's Starling - Poeoptera stuhlmanni

1700359331_303StarlingStuhlmanns.JPG.d1da4b419fe0d05ae81bbd3ad2a0e4db.JPG

Bwindi - Ruhija, 20-Feb-2020

BY 339 / UG 304

Narrow-tailed Starling - Poeoptera lugubris

435708969_304StarlingNarrow-tailed.JPG.433439f523eb1f5c0d8b80b2ef5515af.JPG

Bwindi - Buhoma, 18-Feb-2020

BY 340 / UG 305

Waller's Starling - Onychognathus walleri

1582416871_305StarlingWallers.JPG.d489c3328480c5f9bda261f2262b32dd.JPG

Bwindi - Ruhija, 23-Feb-2020

Congratulations on passing the 300 for Uganda.

1 minute ago, Galana said:

Congratulations on passing the 300 for Uganda.

Thanks, Fred! By far the highets per country total for us, and there are more to be counted ;)!

In-between two large groups of bird is this one, widespread all around the country.

BY 341 / UG 306

Northern Grey-headed Sparrow - Passer griseus

699244173_306SparrowNorthernGrey-headed.JPG.f993729f8d621773eff97bcb2a26a569.JPG

Kibale, 11-Feb-2020

juvenile

1925975925_306SparrowNorthernGrey-headedA.JPG.85758f6e8f40f9107ba6426f7909d04e.JPG

Bwindi - Buhoma, 18-Feb-2020

Peter Connan

Beautiful starlings Alex!

Peter Connan
1 hour ago, Galana said:

Well off topic of course but may I ask the obvious question.

What would the totals be from Covid IF you had not got lockdown?

Worldwide there have been an extra 1 million cases every 14 days and the rate is showing no signs of slowing..

Apologies @xelas for  inadvertently interrupting your posts.

I think you misunderstand me.

I was impressed by the government's actions when we first went into lock-down. I still believe that was the right step.

But it can't go on like this indefinitely. And the disease isn't going anywhere either. The lock-down should have been used to find ways of moving forward, living with the disease and finding ways to protect the vulnerable.

What has happened here in SA instead is mostly political posturing and in-fighting, corruption and power-struggles. 

Edited by Peter Connan

Getting more than 300 in one country is amazing- well done!

Dave Williams

Excellent indeed, Uganda has been more than just numbers, some fabulous close sightings too by the look of things.

Incredible numbers for Uganda, @xelas! A very good collection of starlings, too. Is it possible that one or two (e.g.Violet-backed Starling) look just a little oversharpened? AI sharpening perhaps? I'm just jealous of your amazing collection, you understand...;)

4 hours ago, TonyQ said:

Being there at the right time, and guided by two experienced birders :).

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

some fabulous close sightings too by the look of things.

As we have not use any dedicated bird hides, some of the birds did get relatively close.

1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

Is it possible that one or two (e.g.Violet-backed Starling) look just a little oversharpened? AI sharpening perhaps?

Great eye for details, Peter. I have indeed sharpened 300, 301 and 302 twice, as I have used JPEG from the trip report. 

I am using a new software. I still need to learn it better, to leave some more details but overall, I am very happy with results.

Edited by xelas

9 hours ago, TonyQ said:

Spoiler alert. I estimate there is around 40 more to come. And you should see the ones that got away. I can think of a lot of 'regulars', almost guaranteed on many trips to Africa, that simply did not appear.

Weavers next.