Zvezda & Alex Part V: The Hare Strikes Back

xelas

53 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

Magnificent effort!

The secret of the success is not to know the birds! Thus you take photo of everything with feathers and flying :D, among them 100s of AFB :P.

An amazing score for one country, well done. I have really enjoyed following your thread.

I have one of the attributes for such success as I also do not know the birds :D

What a score for Uganda! Thanks for showing us your wonderful trip collection and pass on my compliments to Zvezda for taking so many beautiful photos.

27 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

I have one of the attributes for such success

Now you only have to adopt the "shoot everything" approach :D

12 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

What a score for Uganda!

Thanks, Peter. 

I must add my own congratulations to your efforts. I saw at first hand just how hard you both 'worked' to achieve this. "We" could maybe have raised the total by a further 20 if:-

1. We had found some regulars that simply did not appear, viz Saddle billed Stork, Goliath Heron, Cinnamon Bracken Warbler, Rwenzori Batis (lives in the garden at Broadbill)  and Long-tailed Cuckoo to name but five.

2. Penetrated a few more swamps wherein lurked some nice targets. Our 'lost' day around Lake Bunyoni is a good example of what might have been.

3. And perhaps forking out $30 to actually enter Bwindi on one of those days at Buhoma although you did quite well just in the village.

IFs eh?? I am happy with my 300.

Now to that last throw of the dice. One of the perils of wandering off on your own is that you don't have a witness to what is around. I was photoing a O B Stork at that time.

The photo is a bit vague and first reaction is that there were several 'finches' feeding in the field behind where we were parked.

My best guess is a Grey-headed sparrow although it looks  a bit slender. Perhaps a Mannikin.

Two other choices. Juveniles.

Pin-tailed Whydah and/or Village Indigo bird. I would like more colour in the legs to go firm for the latter but otherwise it is a good fit.

Pssst! We both saw that Flufftail clearly in Kibale. How come you missed it??

That’s an amazing collection of Ugandan birds, congratulations. I also go with the photograph everything approach - one of the joys of digital 

pedro maia

349 species for a single trip is crazy, I’m impressed and even more because of the high picture standards, my compliments to Zvezda :P.

BTW, I don’t have the BY statistics to know of it’s a record number ;).

an astounding result with such and awesome photographs of beautiful birds in from a single trip - a huge congrats to you and Zvezda!

11 hours ago, Galana said:

Now to that last throw of the dice.

Rounded numbers are overrated anyway, so let it be 349 for Uganda. Flufftail?! Zvezda was unlucky to get the sight of view. 

10 hours ago, pedro maia said:

I’m impressed and even more because of the high picture standards,

Thanks, Pedro! Zvezda did her best on the field, and I did my best at home. 

2 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

an astounding result with such and awesome photographs of beautiful birds in from a single trip - a huge congrats to you and Zvezda!

I should have noted which were really rare, or even endemic birds. Next time ^_^.

1 hour ago, xelas said:

I should have noted which were really rare, or even endemic birds. Next time 

The learning curve is always steep.

Always be aware that whilst you are shooting each and every feather in sight that desirable sneaky beggar called by the guide has been and gone while you have bagged the 1000th AFB.

We know all about EBC but what about ESC?:P

Fantastic joint effort @xelas and Zvezda, incredible collection of birds from Uganda.

4 hours ago, Zim Girl said:

Fantastic joint effort @xelas and Zvezda, incredible collection of birds from Uganda.

We are glad that you have enjoyed them!

Returning back to my local birds. After our return from Uganda we were more or less confined to birding within walking distance from our house. Many of them were "usual suspects" but there were some great finds, like this one.

BY 385 / SI 041

Eurasian Wryneck - Jynx torquilla

244615247_041-VijeglavkaA.JPG.1dc9de34aac9a688c772479e2df78c6c.JPG

Ljubljansko Barje, 17-Apr-2020

Same day and same location, this one gave me a display of its flying and singing abilities.

BY 386 / SI 042

Tree Pipit - Anthus trivialis

1053250229_042-Drevesnacipa.JPG.cca9e0ce6a64dd2e07ef939e66279b12.JPG

2118815951_042-DrevesnacipaA.JPG.7edb971c95460e993c46c309fcfa2898.JPG

Ljubljansko Barje, 17-Apr-2020

It is lucky I was sitting down when I saw the signature on the Tree Pipit photos. :o

You found out where Zvezda hides the camera.

20 minutes ago, Soukous said:

You found out where Zvezda hides the camera.

Yes, and while Zvezda has to be in the office I can go out :D!

michael-ibk

Great Wryneck, and the Pipit is a pretty cool find as well!

You captured the Tree Pipit display very well.

The Wryneck was lucky.

Peter Connan

Great shots Alex!

More birds on our way to #400. Same location - Ljubljansko Barje.

BY 387 / SI 043

Northern Raven - Corvus corax

911006259_043-Krokar.JPG.acedb1cf6b201fb24a32874b975887f5.JPG

Ljubljansko Barje, 24-Apr-2020

This one is not the best shot yet the bird is very shy in Slovenia.

BY 388 / SI 044

Eurasian Jay - Garrulus glandarius

1172041778_044-oja.JPG.ae2ee4fcb7d9dc8c7518f5fe90614689.JPG

This one was already seen and reported in Uganda, however, this is a much nicer photo IMO.

BY --- / SI 045

Whinchat - Saxicola rubetra

1027253085_045-Repaljica.JPG.1e5480fb213b4c1a1912df543ce88708.JPG