Steady as you go, B.Y. 2020

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Today's addition was planned yesterday! Unlike some who are prepared to lower standards, no mention of names @Soukous I was determined not to fall back on a feeder shot so yesterday I went in search of a suitable prop, drilled some holes in it and stuck in some peanuts. It was there first thing this morning when the light is acceptable if a bit dim.

152)

49776260958_40f5269f36_b.jpgGreat Spotted Woodpecker. Dendrocopos major by Dave Williams, on Flickr

For those who need an even more authentic looking shot you can fill the holes back in again later too!( Should have done a better job but it was difficult doing it while the 'pecker was sat there.

49777144412_8b22256d35_b.jpgGreat Spotted Woodpecker. Dendrocopos major by Dave Williams, on Flickr

There was a small price to pay, I now have a one inch scar on my forehead but that's another story.

Meanwhile...the Badger was back again for the last two nights since my last reported sighting. he looks like he's going to stay around!!

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

an even more authentic looking shot you can fill the holes back in again later too!

Hmmm! that's not like you. Next you will be airbrushing the cage out or the jesses on that Peregrine.:P

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

no mention of names @Soukous 

Hey, you said no names :(

That's a good setup and a beautiful result (except for the scar)!

Any rules against luring the birds :unsure:

How many birds have already been lured by guides imitating songs all over safariland😉

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, xelas said:

Any rules against luring the birds :unsure:

Food and water...no problem. 

Dave Williams

Another garden addition from yesterday , the Common Chaffinch.I have seen comments recently about the decline of Chaffinch, maybe by as much as 20% in recent years which is worrying as it's our second most common breeding species in the UK.. The regular pair in our garden are hardly seen now and judging by this one's feet perhaps that's the reason. Chaffinch papillomavirus apparently usually on effects one leg but this poor fellow has a bad case it seems. It isn't fatal but it must impair them, he certainly seemed to have difficulty landing on a perch.

153)

49780267917_241ce10bc5_b.jpgCommon Chaffinch  Fringilla coelebs by Dave Williams, on Flickr

As an aside... @Peter Connan I assume you have decided to take a break from a BY this year? Understandable but your contributions are missed. How is life in lockdown SA? Hope you are surviving the crisis, I see that they are not projecting the virus to peak there until September so it looks very likely our trip will be called off until next year. Far worse things could happen but still disappointing.

Edited by Dave Williams

That woodpecker is a stunner! 

Peter Connan

@Dave Williams, I have started later in the year some years, so there is still hope. I had in mind limiting myself to BIF this year, but with the lock-down and my relatively poor performance even before that, I am not too sure what's going to happen. 

I sincerely hope you are wrong about it peaking in September, as I will be bankrupt long before that! As both the companies I work for are currently closed, I have basically no income until the lock-down is lifted. Other than that and the fact that we are not allowed off our own properties except for specific reasons, things are right peachy over here.

Edited by Peter Connan

Hope things change quickly @Peter Connan, and also hope that you start your BY soon, I was about to ask about it.

Dave Williams

Very sorry to hear that things are not good at the moment Peter. I hope I'm wrong about the peak being September, I'm only going on what I have read on the web, I think it was BBC news. I would guess that once lockdown is lifted there will still be a ban on travel in to SA for a while but we'll see..

I do hope things will change for the better really soon, Peter. All the best to you and your family.

Eventually government will have to give some sort of financial support. In Slovenia they have adopted the 1st financial package, and are preparing for 2nd one. 

Best wishes @Peter Connan

Take care and stay safe.

That virus is not going away for some time.

michael-ibk

Sorry to hear about that @Peter Connan. All my fingers crossed here that the situation will soon improve for you and your family!

5 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Very sorry to hear that things are not good at the moment Peter. I hope I'm wrong about the peak being September, I'm only going on what I have read on the web, I think it was BBC news. I would guess that once lockdown is lifted there will still be a ban on travel in to SA for a while but we'll see..

I think that the only sure thing about this situation is that all predictions, even when sources are credible, are only speculations,  nobody can know when and where peaks will happen so we can also hope for the best.

Peter Connan

Thank you very much everybody.

I fully realize that the disease itself will be with us for a long while yet, but we (the whole world really) need to find ways of becoming productive again.

This is especially the case in poorer countries, as nobody has the reserves to sustain a lock-down for a long period of time. After 10 years of very effective looting, our government is fresh out of cash, and I am sure many other governments also have cash flow issues.

But please let's get back to looking at birds. Far better for the soul! 

Look after yourself @Peter Connan, very sorry to hear this is affecting you so hard. I have no crystal ball, but I wil say that even if the peak is in September, most countries will have had to take action well before that. Lockdown cannot last indefinitely or there will be revolution

On 3/24/2020 at 4:25 AM, Dave Williams said:

How handsome is this Goldfinch?

127)

49672377848_91dede4eb2_b.jpgGoldfinch  Carduelis carduelis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

such a handsome bird - wish it was in my garden or neighbour's garden too!

so sorry to hear that @Peter Connan this disease is ravaging the entire world not only physically but also all the states of minds and across industries. 

I really hope the spread of the disease will not last till september but hopefully get some stabilisation to allow some restrictions to be relaxed in every country that has a lockdown. 

Take care, and look forward to your BY very soon.