PeterHG’s sixth. Wherever it may take us.

PeterHG

We continued to the island of Schouwen Duiveland for a short look-around there. There are some very good areas there, too, though they will be better in spring. We did get one addition there, though.

19 / NL 19. Little Egret. Zeeland 9/1. We do het its large cousin where we live, but we never see this one.

i-t9n8H3T-XL.jpg

After that we returned to the dam for a last look there and awaited the sunset. No new ones, but we did see a male Goldeneye nearby.

i-z23N3hq-XL.jpg

Stunning Merganser Peter, lovely Eider too.

Agree, wonderful merganser and eider shots!

a mega shot of the merganser!

Happy belated birthday!

Today we took a walk along the shores of the IJsselmeer, a 15 minutes' drive from here. It was cold and windy, but we did see a rather uncommon visitor to the area among the Tufted Ducks

21 / NL 21. Greater Scaup (female) Arkemheen.13/1. Large numbers of them may be found in the northern parts of the IJsselmeer, but we don't see them here usually.

i-P8nxbGJ-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Further from the shore I saw a little group of striking black and white ducks land. 

22 /NL 22 Smew. Arkemheen, 13/1. I do hope they'll come closer on of these days they are beautiful birds.

i-rNwqPrP-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Scaup and Smew. Excellent.

They've both eluded me last year and this year (so far)

Our local lake also holds quite a few Tufted Ducks in winter

23 / NL 23. Tufted Duck. Amersfoort, 13/1.  It always amazes me, how its head can have either a purple or a green tinge, depending on the sunlight.

i-hJjzXQb-X2.jpg

i-H5jxcWM-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

24 / NL 24. Great Cormorant. Amersfoort, 13/1. 

i-SdNMVBr-X2.jpg

I'm a bit confused by your numbering Peter.

Both Scaup and Smew were listed as 21, then the Tufted Duck is 32 / 23

Wow, you are racing off Peter, can only see your dust! Great photos, especially love the Merganser. Some very cool species you are finding there, well done.

38 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Both Scaup and Smew were listed as 21, then the Tufted Duck is 32 / 23

I'm confused, too ;). I've adapted the numbers, thank you!

More great shots from the Netherlands. Love the Scaup and Smews.

Great hair do on the Cormorant.

Edited by Galana

You have so many good looking ducks in your area

Great picture of the cormorant, it shows the 'scaly' feathers beautifully.

Dave Williams

I have never even seen a Smew,nice one.  

Thank you, @Soukous, @michael-ibk, @Galana, @shazdwn, @Zim Girl, @Dave Williams.

The weather is still pretty good, so why not continue while it lasts. Today I went for a walk in one of the wetland reserves in Flevoland, half an hour's drive from here. I had a few specific targets to look for, and I did find one of them. And added a few others.

25 / NL 25. Northern Raven. Flevoland, 14/1. After its reintroduction in the seventies they can be found in quite a few areas, but they are stil not common at all.

i-ZJbm8Pc-L.jpg

26 / NL 26. Redwing. Flevoland 14/1. A heavy crop as it stayed well away from the road.

i-fWgpQ8d-XL.jpg

27  NL 27. Hen Harrier. Flevoland 14/1. This female came swooping over the roof of the hide and I was glad I still managed to grab a shot before it disappeared again. 

i-DsBqdxF-XL.jpg

28 / NL 28. Whooper Swan. Flevoland. 14/1. From the same hide I could photograph a couple of these winter visitors. They were my target bird for the morning. I saw a few in the same spot in December and fortunately they were still there. They took flight after ten minutes, possibly because people were walking along the footpath by the lake. Which they are allowed to do.

i-JCxjMzb-XL.jpg

i-ZwV6d9Z-XL.jpg

Beautiful.