PeterHG’s sixth. Wherever it may take us.

PeterHG

While I drove home I made a detour to one of the frozen canals to look for a possible Water rail along the bank. I had found what I thought was a good spot, but a lady from the car that was parked some 50 metres behind me, kindly walked up to my car and told me they were actually watching  a rail, right opposite their parking space. How kind of her! I reversed and got a good look, too before it was chased into the reeds by a moorhen.

50 / NL 50. Water Rail. Arkemheen, 12/1

i-nxWHhkK-XL.jpg

My wife and I also took a walk along the dyke bordering the IJsselmeer. Bitterly cold, due to the east wind, but nobody else present and a great surprise was waiting for us.

51 / NL 51. Bearded Reedling. Arkemheen, 12/1. Definitely one of the prettiest birds we have.

i-LH2P6L2-X2.jpg

i-b8ZqBh8-X2.jpg

The lake was frozen, with just a few open areas. A female Goosander flew by, looking forlorn in the harsh scenery.

i-PwK4tqQ-X2.jpg

Gorgeous photos, @PeterHG! I can relate to your "bitterly cold" statement, same is also in Ljubljana.

Some wonderful shots there @PeterHGStarting with the Goldcrest, Greylag and Water Rail. (what a kind lady) and finishing with that Reedling.

Even here is biting cold today but due to blow warmer later. (A bit like politics you know where;))

Awesome Goldcrest, and of course I do love my favourite pirate Reedling. But I´m particular fond of the Goosander picture. Quite a special atmosphere you caught there.

Beautiful work Peter!

beautiful shots of the greylag and reedling.

Dave Williams

The ice has it's advantages! I had an enjoyable hour watching the birds coming to drink outside the kitchen window, far more than when I did my garden birdwatch, because when it's as cold as it has been water is more difficult to find than food. I just wish I could have got to our local RSPB reserve in these conditions! The right time for Water Rail if you put a few peanuts and some seed out! 

It's raining now, but during the last 5 days the whole country caught the skating fever. Covid or no covid, nothing could stop the the people flocking to lakes and canals to skate on natural ice. Even on the Amsterdam canals, though the ice there was not always safe. What it will do for our number of corona cases one can only guess, but al least it was all outside.

i-RbT5Q6G-L.jpg

My skating days are over, I'm afraid, but we did visit friends of ours whose garden borders a lake and my wife spent an hour or so on the ice. I stayed in the garden, keeping a safe distance from our friends and even managed to score an addition for the list. 

52 / NL 52 Song Thrush. Roelofarendsveen 12/1

i-rT9SjSz-XL.jpg

Yesterday was predicted to be the last day with frost, so we went for a walk in a nearby wood. Very nice and very quiet as most people were heading for skating locations.

53 / NL 53. Eurasian Nuthatch. Leusden 14/1

i-r2pVsQp-XL.jpg

The woodpeckers were very active, but they stayed high up in the trees

54 /NL 54. Great Spotted Woodpecker. Leusden, 14/1

i-9MbmnZ8-X2.jpg

Two raptors overhead caught our attention and I was thrilled when they turned out to be Goshawks. Both male and female, the female being the larger and bulkier of the two.

55 / NL 55. Northern Goshawk. Leusden, 14/1

The female:

i-9PL9sFS-XL.jpg

the male:

i-JnPGn9Q-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG
numbers adapted

We had heard a Black Woodpecker call somewhere in the trees, but even though this is one of the areas where they can be found, we rarely see one. But we got lucky this time:

56 /NL 56. Black Woodpecker. Leusden, 14/1. A heavy crop, but very happy to have seen one!

i-PMPqCHL-XL.jpg

i-QHh2FxZ-XL.jpg

Black Woodpecker and Goshawk are always special, great sightings and photos. 

Really impressive set of new additions.  Stunning picture of the Bearded Reedling!

An all round good day. Goshawks and Black Woodpecker.

the black woodpecker is awesome! i just think sleek shiny black birds or animals have such radiance on them. is this species only found in Europe?

brilliant goshawk BIF shots 

Excellent decision not to go skating :D. Seeing Black Woodpecker is awesome, taking a photo even more so.

8 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

is this species only found in Europe?

According to wikipedia it is also found in parts of Asia: "The range of the black woodpecker spreads east from Spain across the whole of Europe, excluding Great Britain, Ireland, and northern Scandinavia. It is also native to parts of Asia, including Korea, Japan and China, and to the Middle East, including Iran and Kazakhstan. The southern limits of this woodpecker's range are in Spain and Italy, and it has also been recorded as a vagrant in Portugal. The species is generally more uncommon and more discontinuous in distribution in the Asian part of its range"

10 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

According to wikipedia it is also found in parts of Asia: "The range of the black woodpecker spreads east from Spain across the whole of Europe, excluding Great Britain, 

I won't waste my time looking for it then :(

2 hours ago, Soukous said:

I won't waste my time looking for it then 

Saw my first in SLO (although the bird was in HR).

Now even more reason for you to try that window.:D

A short drive to Flevoland at least gave me one addition:

57 / NL 57. Tundra Bean Goose. Flevoland, 19/2

i-c52ZRMv-XL.jpg

My wife and I made another day trip tp the province of Zeeland, including the Brouwersdam. Not as productive as in January, but a nice day anyway. The Brouwersdam itself attracted quite a few tourists this time, as the weather was perfect for windsurfing and temperatures were a lot better that just a week ago. In one of the quieter parts I could come relatively close to a male Red-breasted Merganser. Not new, but still beautiful!

i-DGcwp3r-X2.jpg