PeterHG’s sixth. Wherever it may take us.

PeterHG

Very impressive to see a Scoter like that, well done Peter, bravo! Also like the Merganser a lot, very rare here (have only seen them once or twice).

Thank you @Soukous, @TonyQ, @xelas, @Galana, @Kitsafari, @Peter Connan, @Zim Girl, @mvecht, @elefromoz, @michael-ibk!

My wife and I decided on another trip to Zeeland, this time the southernmost part: Zeeuws Vlaanderen. A quiet region, which suited us well. A few additions from there:

69 / NL 69 White Stork. Zeeland, 25/2

i-Kx8ZQV5-L.jpg

70 / NL 70. Golden Plover, 25/2

i-VdRXFcr-XL.jpg

71 / NL 71. Barnacle Goose. Zeeland, 25/2. Thousands were still present. No less than 5 Red-breasted Geese had been sighted in the area, but unfortunately we were unable to find them. Still the Barnacle is a handsome goose, too!

i-4dt9LXw-XL.jpg

@PeterHGEventhough they are much smaller and have a very different colour the Red-breasted Geese can be surprisingly difficult to spot!

On our way back we made a few other stops in the province. One was at a hide that provides a  view of the water at almost eye level, which can make for nice photography opportunities. It's a public hide and it can be busy sometimes, but to our delight we found that we had the hide to ourselves for half an hour. The ducks did not come very close, but again with the aid of the converter I was able to get some nice shots, otherwise only possible when I would lie flat on my belly at the edge of a lake. Which I still could manage at my age, but getting up again the same day would be a major problem...;)

72 / NL 72. Gadwall. Zeeland 26/2

i-JGVrs6L-XL.jpg

73 /NL 73. Northern Shoveler. Zeeland, 26/2

i-PwfJkRG-XL.jpg

Already counted, but it was so nice to find a female there.

Common Goldeneye

i-WVh6qHM-XL.jpg

splendid additions but your shot of the barnacle goose was an absolute delight. 

Beautiful Peter. That looks like a great hide, you made good use of it. 

Peter Connan

Wonderful stuff!

More great shots, you are a master of birds in flight 

Lovely eye level shots of the ducks.

Thank you, @michael-ibk, @Galana, @Kitsafari, @Peter Connan, @Zim Girl

On 3/1/2021 at 10:38 AM, shazdwn said:

you are a master of birds in flight 

Too much honour, but I do consider it a special challenge to catch birds in flight, as do some others here who have posted amazing flight photos! I'll be sure to add some more flight shots in the next few posts ;)

In the protected polde area of Arkemheen I often visit, large parts of the meadows have been temporarily inundated, especially for migrating waders. This has attracted hundreds of Godwits, most of them passing through, and the spectacle and sounds of so many waders is a great experience every time.

i-2ppwM5N-XL.jpg

74. /NL 74 Black-tailed Godwit. Arkemheen, 2/3

i-x5zcd5c-X2.jpg

Godwits and Lapwings outnumber any other waders, but there are others to be found:

75. /NL 75. Little Ringed Plover. Arkemheen, 2/3

i-5zQQhwM-XL.jpg

Ruff is also pretty common there, now. Unfortunately nearly all of them will move on to Scandinavia and Siberia in a few weeks' time. We only have a handful of breeding pairs left in our country.

76 /NL 76. Ruff. Arkemheen, 3/3. In this flight shot the distinctively marked feathers on the back are easily seen.

i-Lqh3J8k-XL.jpg

77 /NL 77. Canada Goose. Arkemheen, 3/3. Although the Greylags are by far the most numerous goose, there is also a healthy population of this immigrant species.

i-gM8W2K2-XL.jpg

michael-ibk

Oooh, what an appetiser, I look forward to seeing the waders again.:)

Great BIF of the Godwit and Ruff.

Superb Godwit and Ruff in flight. Well done!

Dave Williams

Wow, you really are motoring in more sense than one Peter! I'm surprised you have the freedom you have in virus stricken Netherlands!

Each and every photo is a stunner....well almost! Every BY needs an EBC!

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Wow, you really are motoring in more sense than one Peter! I'm surprised you have the freedom you have in virus stricken Netherlands!

Yes, we still have the freedom to visit areas anywhere in the country. Restrictions are not in the ability to drive around, but in the fact that you are only allowed to have one visitor inside or outside, shops, restaurants and schools are closed ( well the primary schools have been re-opened this week) and things like that. That means, in spite of what many protesters here claim, that we still have a lot of freedom compared to other countries. Even so the number of covid cases is on the rise again. That has a lot to do with the fact that more and more people are not taking the lockdown measures seriously enough. By themselves the measures should probably be enough to contain a further spread, even with the 'British' strain now being the major variant. My wife and I do use the freedom we are allowed and enjoy are moments of birding in these difficult times, but are extremely careful in what we do. 

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Every BY needs an EBC!

Don't worry. I plan to use plenty of those to keep the numbers going :rolleyes:

Thank you @Galana, @TonyQ, @michael-ibk, @Dave Williams.

A few more from the last week:

78 /NL 78. Eurasian Jay. Amersfoort. 3/3. Always too shy for a good pose, so I may as well get it over with....;)

i-TPDZrC3-XL.jpg

79 /NL 79. Common (Mew) Gull.Flevoland 11/2. Already taken in February, but somehow skipped it. Quite common indeed around these parts.

i-9h67g8h-XL.jpg