Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

So here we go, after some thought I will continue with the BY but there are some changes in my approach !

The Tortoise is no more. Dead!

I'll now reach to the skies again hopefully and what better avatar than the long distance Arctic Tern.

I hope that 2022 will be my year of travel , although that has been the objective every year but failed of late!!

I have also decided that I will not "like" many posts.... and I don't expect anyone to "like" mine either! Now we are growing in number I will occasionally make comments but religiously ticking everything becomes tedious. Sorry, I don't mean to offend but that's what I'm likely to do when I have missed someone out by not ticking their latest entries.

My target for the year is to beat my best ever which is 400. Is it achievable? Who knows but probably not! I have trips planned to Cuba, Spain and South Africa as well as a couple in the UK but they are not trips that I expect to produce high numbers of different sightings and that  is dependant on being able to travel of course. Still, without a target there's a lack of motivation so I'm going big!!

Good luck everyone. Let's hope we all have a good 2022 and find our wings again..

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

It's not been the best start weatherise but I had an hour out at high tide yesterday knowing I would find at least one species that needs to be ticked before they head north.

I had a very welcome bonus in a bird I have rarely photographed.

1) Red-throated Diver

51799211569_3c6494e284_b.jpgRed-throated Diver by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

When the weather has been pretty poor, a glimpse of sunshine so why not go and take a look at the 2)Purple Sandpipers...again! I should search for them elsewhere because the high tide roost isn't really the place for action!

51799838463_878c9186d3_b.jpgPurple Sandpiper by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Love your attitude, and your new avatar, Dave - go for gold!!

Yeah Terns! Great start Dave, you will crush those 400!

A good start and good to see you taking part once more.

RIP Tortoise. Hello Tern.

love the pun!

Dave Williams

I decided to take a look at the local beach were an Iceland Gull has been hanging around for the last week or so. Access to the small  beach is impossible because it would disturb the seal colony so viewing has to be from the cliff top above, probably about 100 foot above sea level.With the light fading fast on an overcast day I was also trying my new lightweight 800mm lens both with a 1.4 TC attached and without.They achieved a reasonable image for my Big year count anyway!

4)Iceland Gull

51802770697_7b83a5362b_b.jpgIceland Gull.     BY4 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Up and out early yesterday in the expectation of some snow up on the moors. A couple of slightly dodgy moments when my car only just made it to the top of an icy hill but the rewards were pretty good! First Red Grouse I'd photographed in many years

5)Red Grouse

51806292378_bdccc753b5_b.jpgRed Grouse BY5 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

First on the scene to arrive where the Black Grouse. Only a few and they didn't stay long but long enough to get a couple of shots at distance, sadly when the light was poor.

6) Black Grouse 

51808013650_a1afdcb4d2_b.jpgBlack Grouse    BY6 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

From earlier this week , two visitors to my bird feeders are, together with the Squirrel, costing a small fortune in fat balls!

7) Greater Spotted Woodpecker

51807654814_9e2acdfc7f_b.jpgGreater Spotted Woodpecker  BY7 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

8) Eurasian Jay

51808025615_8a22f13a3e_b.jpgEurasian Jay   BY8 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Your drive paid off with both grouse species!

Envious of the Grouse especially. (But NOT that white stuff. You can keep it in Wales.)

Great Grouse! 

Grouse look like cool birds, great find

Great new look and mission statement. 

Dave Williams

A day out yesterday in the North Wales uplands and a visitor centre where there are some bird feeders provided a good selection of birds not all of which I photographed as I see them in the back garden.The conditions were no where near perfect , the light variable and the back ground cluttered but I got a decent haul for my BY count!

The common ones in the garden at home are 

9) Chaffinch

51816707469_31c54e9a10_b.jpgChaffinch.    BY9 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

10)Great Tit

51817080735_7de3619718_b.jpgGreat Tit. BY10 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Distant and out in the fir tree nearby forest

11)Crossbill

51816472033_288d799a2f_b.jpgCrossbill    BY11 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

feeding on the spillage on the floor under the feeders

12)Brambling

51815407957_fca77f09aa_b.jpgBrambling.   BY12 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

on the feeders

13)Redpoll

51816470798_b0c827ce61_b.jpgRedpoll.  BY13 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

A good day out indeed and with some enviable captures. Two I looked for in vain last year.

Brilliant trip that! Brambling, Crossbill, Willow, Siskin, Redpoll in one location - I need to get on my bike to Wales! 

4 hours ago, lmSA84 said:

I need to get on my bike to Wales! 

Well there is plenty of room as most of the population are shopping in England.;)