Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Having been for a walk along the beach from the hotel and had a close encounter ( without a camera of course) with a fly past group of 5 obviously yellow billed Royal Terns the previous day ,I set off down the beach hoping to see them again. No such luck but a single bird was hunting right in front of our hotel...when I was still a long,long way off. Originally I thought Caspian but I'll settle for  25) Royal Tern.

IQ compromised already but unlikely to see another this year!

51864300308_1031dff852_b.jpgRoyal Tern.  BY 25 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

The resolution on the Canon R5 with 45mp's allows a crop to at least prove the bird in the image is what you claim. A souvenir record shot and an addition to my By 2022!

51864899480_7665cab01c_b.jpgWhite Ibis.  BY 26 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Taken using my " budget" low cost RF 800mm lens 26)White Ibis

51864899515_66fa5e0c0b_b.jpgWhite Ibis.  BY 26 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

A frustrating outing to local lake because access was restricted to where there were lots of birds, particularly Ring-necked Duck and Lesser Scaup, the latter a first for me! When needs must I'm claiming them for my Big Year!!

28) Lesser Scaup

51863333097_2ff4206828_b.jpgLesser Scaup.  BY 26 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Fortunately not all sightings were distant and with patience and many searches I got decent views of most things. Luck helped, this was the one time I saw this one!

29) Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

51864630719_5dc8c44bb4_b.jpgYellow-bellied Sapsucker. BY 28 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

sounds like you had a wonderful trip to Cuba. the woodpecker and sapsucker (what a name!) are stunning birds.  

That’s beautiful thrush! Great shots, too of the woodpeckers.

Dave Williams

31) Cuban Emerald

One of only two Hummingbirds you are likely to see in Cuba. The other, the world's smallest bird, the endemic Bee Hummingbird is quite scarce located in only a few places, the Cuban Emerald is, despite it's name , not endemic and quite common around the island.

I'd have loved to try for some flight shots but didn't find a decent spot where they might be feeding.

51867820606_3378ff5d21_b.jpgCuban Emerald.  BY 31 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

You have started your BY with a bang, Dave! Beautiful birds from Cuba. Is it possible to add an oldtimer or two?!

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, xelas said:

You have started your BY with a bang, Dave! Beautiful birds from Cuba. Is it possible to add an oldtimer or two?!

We chose the right location Alex, our hotel was in an isolated position but surrounded by potential!

Inexpensive compared to everywhere else in the region, in fact in Cuba too. 

Loving seeing your shots from Cuba, somewhere I would like to travel to one day.  Keep 'em coming

Dave Williams

I need some help on this one! Having checked the book, the Helm Field Guide, I'm not 100% sure as the illustrations are not true to colour. It's the only one I saw too!

32)Cape May Warbler

51869584373_3ef981027f_b.jpgCape May Warbler.  BY 32 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

33)Cuban Vireo

This is one of those exasperating moments when you realise the bird isn't what you thought it was, at least I don't think it is! I'm pretty sure that it's a Cuban Vireo, an endemic and the only one I have ever seen! I should have followed it instead of concentrating on a more attractive alternative!

51869812583_9a84270d7e_b.jpgCuban Vireo.   BY 33 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

My last morning before heading home and I decided to have one last look at the neighbouring beach and as I often seem to do on the last day....got lucky!

34)Little Blue Heron

51870409501_01cc58c200_b.jpgLittle Blue Heron.   BY 34 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Three very nice ones here. Two I have no difficult with (Hey what would I know never having been anywhere near there?)

But I share your misgivings on the CM Warbler. My first glance was it is some sort of Pipit and not a warbler at all. The bill just seems wrong as well as the stance. Is that a yellow rump??

Dave Williams
11 hours ago, Galana said:

Three very nice ones here. Two I have no difficult with (Hey what would I know never having been anywhere near there?)

But I share your misgivings on the CM Warbler. My first glance was it is some sort of Pipit and not a warbler at all. The bill just seems wrong as well as the stance. Is that a yellow rump??

I agree Fred, the bird looks odd for a warbler but unless it's an unlikely Cuban rarity Cape May Warbler seems the only answer. Yes, a yellow rump is seen on all plumages, this looks to fit the description of a non breeding male reasonably well.  I even used the Merlin app and posted a photo on their ID page and they came up with the same as No1 choice followed by 4 other warblers.

There are no pipits on Cuba it seems. The only other bird which vaguely fits the colouration is my next addition which it definitely isn't!

35) Eastern Meadowlark

One of a pair, the only ones seen during the trip. Getting close was difficult as they were perched in the middle of a thorny thicket!

51871947600_076eeb65d4_b.jpgEastern Meadowlark.   BY35 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

45 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Cape May Warbler seems the only answer.

I should think there is little doubt, comparing it with the image of the Audubon’s field guide:

spacer.png

Dave Williams
36 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

I should think there is little doubt, comparing it with the image of the Audubon’s field guide:

Thanks Peter. That's my bird!!

You should see the Merlin illustration and it's choices versus my shot.

IMG_226429FDD13F-1.jpeg

The warblers in the Merlin app seem a lot more compact than in both the Audubon and your photo. That was, of course also what @Galanaso rightly pointed out about the stance. This goes to show, though that it can be deceptive as well. A very good find then!

1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

Absolutely agree. Bloddy field guides! Who trusts em?

It's @Dave Williams's fault!

Edited by Galana

Dave Williams
7 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

The warblers in the Merlin app seem a lot more compact than in both the Audubon and your photo. That was, of course also what @Galanaso rightly pointed out about the stance. This goes to show, though that it can be deceptive as well. A very good find then!

The clincher on my original decision was that in the Helm guide it does say it's a common winter visitor...although I only saw the one!

Dave Williams

A first ever for me on this trip. Always seemed to be seen in a tree or bush, not on the open ground.They are apparently common and often seen in large numbers, especially around fruiting trees according to the guide book. Not much fruit around in winter though.

36) White-crowned Pigeon

51870472187_b5fc9191ff_b.jpgWhite-crowned Pigeon   BY36 by Dave Williams, on Flickr