Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

The tanager is a stunning bird, and what a superb photo 

Dave Williams

I seem to have deleted my best shots of this bird, a whole file full that I was keeping for the end but hey ho!

Endemic to Cuba and Cuba's national bird. Same colours as their flag!

66) Cuban Trogan

51884664795_d5ccc2ba52_b.jpgCuban Trogan.  BY66 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

The last of my 48 Cuban additions and probably my favourite from the trip, like my other favourite, the Cuban Tody it's one of 28 endemic species of which I saw 8 on this visit. Sadly no Bee Hummingbird this time, nor the endemic Flickr either but at least I have reason to go back. After all Cuba has a list of 285 regularly seen species.

67) Cuban Pygmy Owl

51883077482_0693ba442f_b.jpgCuban Pygmy Owl   BY67 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Thanks for the kind comments all, now I will have time to look at your additions too!

What a brilliant portrait of the Tanager and pleased you did at least salvage some shots of the Trogan. What happened? Are they lost for good as you have Disk Digger now.

Cute Owlet. Strange how many look alike around the world.

I thoroughly enjoyed your Cuba collection!

14 hours ago, TonyQ said:

The tanager is a stunning bird, and what a superb photo 

agreed

If that is a taste of what Cuba has to offer, then you'll definitely have to go back for more. 

Fantastic set of Cuban birds, beautiful photos and I love the final Pygmy Owl.

Dave Williams
13 hours ago, Galana said:

What a brilliant portrait of the Tanager and pleased you did at least salvage some shots of the Trogan. What happened? Are they lost for good as you have Disk Digger now.

Cute Owlet. Strange how many look alike around the world.

No chance of getting my Trogan shots back Fred   if I have done what I thought I have done!

I took thousands of shots over a two week period, I stored them by day then tried to put them in to species folders. In the process I think I have overwritten some shots r having thought I'd transferred them then deleted the wrong folder by accident.They were taken on the last full day and I never even looked at them but I know they were much better than the ones that survive. It's only one species and I have some shots so it's no big deal. I'll have another reason to return now.

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Well, just when I thought it was all over I was searching through my folder of Cuban Tody shots and I found this in amongst them. It may be called Common but it's the only one I have ever seen , so really pleased to have found it. A quick burst of shots and I had two in focus. I then forgot all about having seen it on an otherwise busy day during one of my guided tours!

68)Common Yellowthroat.

51885579651_389d33656c_b.jpgCommon Yellowthroat BY 68 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Worth finding. I would have hated not to have that.

I am sure you know that even 'deleted' files and folders never are. As certain types of nasty folks find out when the the Boys in Blue pay a visit.

Enjoyed a lot going through your Cuban birds Dave, great pictures as expected, my favourites are the Bullfinch, the Tanager and the Trogan, with a special mention to the owlelt.

Dave Williams

@GalanaHaving called out Fred as a charlatan on @PeterHG's BY  I have shot myself in the foot and daren't include this one in my count now. Silly me!!!

51889327314_fe267cab25_b.jpgA Turkey! by Dave Williams, on Flickr

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Silly me!!!

Hoist by one's own Petard indeed.

wowzer on the tanager and trogon and well every addition you've made! what stunning birds, and as always, brilliant shots. 

well well, just admit you're a charlatan, get over it, and then add the turkey. :lol:

Dave Williams
On 2/19/2022 at 11:09 AM, Kitsafari said:

wowzer on the tanager and trogon and well every addition you've made! what stunning birds, and as always, brilliant shots. 

well well, just admit you're a charlatan, get over it, and then add the turkey. :lol:

Ok, I'll accept that Fred and I think on the same lines so as soon as he posts a Turkey, domestic Hen or Goose I'm in there!! Incidentally does it matter if the Budgie is still in the cage?

Dave Williams

The search for BY numbers goes on at home but the weather hasn't encouraged me to go out looking. Another horrible day but the Sparrowhawk has to eat, as do the birds at my feeders. This female has been seen nearly every day for the past week but as far as I'm aware unsuccessful. She has some sneaky tricks up her sleeve though and doesn't just swoop in from nowhere. She launches her attacks from behind a wall or the middle of a bush near the feeders.
I was hoping to get a shot of her and tonight she duly obliged. Poor light but with the aid of the bathroom windowsill and a low shutter speed all looks OK!

69) Eurasian Sparrowhawk

51893517549_93b5f99cfe_b.jpgEurasian Sparrowhawk.    BY69 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Ah. The famous Bathroom window strikes again.

Be aware my last but one trip to Swakopmund (BY 2017) I got clear shots of Blue budgies and Alexandrine Parakeet in the same Palm Tree. Due there again 4th March and I shall not hesitate in nailing them if still around!:D

Dave Williams
22 minutes ago, Galana said:

Ah. The famous Bathroom window strikes again.

Be aware my last but one trip to Swakopmund (BY 2017) I got clear shots of Blue budgies and Alexandrine Parakeet in the same Palm Tree. Due there again 4th March and I shall not hesitate in nailing them if still around!:D

Hope you can get them back in the cage again or the owner might take exception Fred.

Great Sparrowhawk picture with amazing detail!

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Williams

In pursuit of my Big Year numbers compromise has to be reached but this one would have not gone to the recycle bin anyway. For several years 70)Merlin has been on top of my UK wish list  but I have never managed to capture an image in camera until yesterday. A very special moment . It was taken at a distance of about 200m I would imagine.

51913800839_d168ebbdd3_b.jpgMerlin    B.Y. 70 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The R5's 45mp and a huge 200% crop in post processing to add to the in camera 1.6 crop on the 700mm lens combination at least confirms the ID of my first ever Merlin photos!

51913480961_db339caac9_b.jpgMerlin    B.Y. 70 by Dave Williams, on Flickr