Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

For you Fred...it's done!

Thank you kind Sir. Quite a difference.

Dave Williams
9 hours ago, Galana said:

Thank you kind Sir. Quite a difference.

More so in equal lighting too.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

More so in equal lighting too.

Interesting, I assumed that a cloud had come over on the second based on the colour change 

Dave Williams
39 minutes ago, shazdwn said:

Interesting, I assumed that a cloud had come over on the second based on the colour change 

Oops I have just realised that both shots were taken with the R5 plus 800mmf11 lens, one with, one without the convertor. 

The convertor on the 800mm gives mammoth 1200mm, whereas on the 100-500 just 700mm. To get the subject as large in the frame needs a big crop, especially when it is small in the first place, and in doing so reveals levels of noise that are unacceptable to me. I think I need to try more shots of the 800mm with the TC before deciding if buying the lens was a good idea! May be a discussion on the photographic thread to follow up?

Dave Williams

Two shots of the same species, once again with two different lenses, the first a straight 800mm f11 in good light.

57) Turkey Vulture.

51881241226_847f4e6c25_b.jpgTurkey Vulture.    BY57 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The second is taken with the 100-500 plus a 1.4TC= 700mm. The shot is full frame, the one above cropped slightly. The light of course, dull.

51881240701_48825e1f82_b.jpgTurkey Vulture.    BY57 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Great additions from Cuba, Dave and interesting comparison of the lenses!

On 2/13/2022 at 1:36 PM, Dave Williams said:

it sat long enough to try two lenses, both with a teleconverter.

The shot with the 800mm looks to have much better colours & lighting. Did the sun go in while you were switching lenses?

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

before deciding if buying the lens was a good idea!

It's always a good idea at the time!  ;)

The Turkey Vulture shots support your decision.

Edited by Galana

IMO the bare 800 is way better then one coupled with TC. Just my 2 cents, of course. 

Dave Williams

It's all about the light for the end result. That's why everyone advocates the "Golden Hour". The shot with the 100-500 was on a dull day.

When you have limited time such as when you visit somewhere on holiday, to maximise your opportunities you have to accept whatever light and time of day is available. Very often the best evening light is when you are enjoying sundowners with your other half...unless of course you are lucky enough to have a partner who has the same interest ( which I do when it comes to sundowners!). 

Dave Williams

A winter visitor from the USA and Canada and very similar to the Cuban Gnatcatcher which is an endemic and far more localised in where you might find one.

58) Blue-grey Gnatcatcher

51882262575_f2b1709fd8_b.jpgBlue-grey Gnatcatcher  BY 58 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Another winter visitor from Eastern North America , the male is more noticeably marked than the female. Very active and difficult to get a decent view of!

59)Northern Parula

51881769028_1cb6ff8801_b.jpgNorthern Parula.  BY59 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

You reach of the guide book for a confirmation ID on the female.

51880721497_a2e7542ee0_b.jpgNorthern Parula.  BY59 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

lovely additions from Cuba and another vote for the black bullfinch, and you're just zipping along and passing 50 with such ease. 

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Very often the best evening light is when you are enjoying sundowners with your other half...unless of course you are lucky enough to have a partner who has the same interest ( which I do when it comes to sundowners!). 

Sounds familiar, trips with my husband generally go the same way. 

I’ll be interested to hear more of your thoughts about the 800mm as you go along. I’ve pretty much written off any thought of getting one due to it being f11, seems very limiting light wise and hard to get a good background? 

A stunner indeed, that Yellow-fronted Warbler!

Dave Williams

Getting to the end of my Cuban trip now! 

Only seen on two days but there were actually three in one tree for this endemic sighting!

65)Cuban Green Woodpecker

51884042374_2f4d43bc87_b.jpgCuban Green Woodpecker.   BY65 by Dave Williams, on Flickr