Reach for the skies!!! My tern to fly high!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Like the Cuban Emerald it takes it's name from the island but it's not an endemic being also found in the Bahamas

38)Cuban Pewee

51874630617_e04f3e431e_b.jpgCuban Pewee.  BY37 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

The Grackle is described as omnivorous and no where is that more apparent than at our hotel to which the Grackles have adapted themselves superbly making use of all the hotel's facilities. They remind me of European Starlings, opportunist thieves who will steal the food off your plate given the opportunity.

40) Greater Antillean Grackle.

51876858723_0cd24602a1_b.jpgGreater Antillean Grackle.  BY40 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

The Canon R5's biggest weakness is, in my opinion, trying to focus on small birds in bushes. I found nothing harder than the B&W Warbler which rarely stands still as it moves at a fair pace through the undergrowth. I got lucky with this one which posed very briefly in the open!

41)Black and White Warbler

51877507300_6bf69783f9_b.jpgBlack and White Warbler.    BY 41 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Some likely confusion when several birds look very similar, if you look carefully, the one on the second left has white eyes and a bigger tail...that's a Grackle amongst the Cowbirds.

42)Shiny Cowbird

51877226568_31c2f13e5a_b.jpgShiny Cowbird.     BY42 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

It's just that, another black bird but a bit special as it's endemic to Cuba. The brown eye helps to nail the species...I think! Tell me if your opinion differs.

43)Cuban Blackbird

51877631501_9f0098687c_b.jpgCuban Blackbird.  BY43 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Not the best shot but clearly shows the tawny shoulder. When you are counting numbers towards your Big Year every one counts!

44) Tawny-shouldered Blackbird

51877977204_cb64bb6fb2_b.jpgTawny-shouldered Blackbird. BY44 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

Another black bird with a coloured shoulder but under the tail shows the yellow of an out of breeding plumage Oriole. Another record shot but one for my Big Year!

45)Black-cowled Oriole

51877999629_8bd6ee6639_b.jpgBlack-cowled Oriole.  BY 45 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

You did well sorting out all those black birds

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

the one on the second left has white eyes and a bigger tail...that's a Grackle amongst the Cowbirds.

Do you mean 2nd right? Just showing that I do read these things. Love the B&W Warbler and the Bullfinch.

Dave Williams
28 minutes ago, Galana said:

Do you mean 2nd right? Just showing that I do read these things. Love the B&W Warbler and the Bullfinch.

oops, and the eyes are actually yellow!

19 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The Canon R5's biggest weakness is, in my opinion, trying to focus on small birds in bushes. I found nothing harder than the B&W Warbler

you nailed it though

Dave Williams

50 up with a Cuban endemic and the only one I saw. Very distant but it sat long enough to try two lenses, both with a teleconverter.This was with the inexpensive 800mm f11 plus the 1.4TC

50)Cuban Solitaire

51879136963_81334c078f_b.jpgCuban Solitaire.  

BY50 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

and the 100-500 with a 1.4TC

51879062036_7a3f9b55b1_b.jpgCuban Solitaire.  BY50 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Very nice additions.

It would be interesting if we could see the comparative shot for the Cuban Solitaire.

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, Galana said:

Very nice additions.

It would be interesting if we could see the comparative shot for the Cuban Solitaire.

For you Fred...it's done!

Dave Williams

51)Loggerhead Kingbird

Originally posted as a Grey , or given it's an American species perhaps the spelling should stick to Gray, I had it pointed out it's actually a Loggerhead Kingbird. I deliberated over the choice for some time and came up with the wrong answer. Thanks to @offshorebirderit's now corrected.

51879861673_af77e5b581_b.jpgGrey Kingbird.      BY51 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams