My Nat-Geo-Moments Safari

twaffle

I really liked the open vehicles which I gather are more like the ones used in Botswana, they certainly made all round photography easier.

Thanks Twaff

You are correct, open vehicles predominate in RSA, Botswana & Zambia, much easier to photograph from.

In regards to booking, I can't remember why we overlooked Serian? I think it was quite a bit more expensive, factoring in their priv vehicle I guess. Although if I had known it was an open type, I would have most definitely considered it.

Now, let's not stop you from continuing your report.

Cheers

Marc

From what I remember with my enquiries on price Rekero and Serian were pretty much equivalent in price. In fact, I think Serian was slightly cheaper and throw in the private vehicle … well!!! :P

But never mind, you will have a great time at Rekero, I'm sure.

From what I remember with my enquiries on price Rekero and Serian were pretty much equivalent in price. In fact, I think Serian was slightly cheaper and throw in the private vehicle … well!!! :o

But never mind, you will have a great time at Rekero, I'm sure.

Now you tell me! :P:rolleyes::lol: :lol:

Of the 57 camps I have now visited in Africa, Rekero and Kwando Lebala are at the top of the heap. The game viewing if, of course, fantastic at both places, but it's all about the professionalism and personal touch. Rekero is 50% owned by a Maasai who basically grew up with the camp. At both Rekero and Lebala, the sense of the blood, sweat and tears invested in the place is palpable.

madaboutcheetah
Of the 57 camps I have now visited in Africa, Rekero and Kwando Lebala are at the top of the heap. The game viewing if, of course, fantastic at both places, but it's all about the professionalism and personal touch. Rekero is 50% owned by a Maasai who basically grew up with the camp. At both Rekero and Lebala, the sense of the blood, sweat and tears invested in the place is palpable.

WOW! I must get to Rekero then ..... I think Lebala fits your description well ....... I think it's the hands on dedication, effort and genuine committment of the people there. To me, Little Kwara these days is right up there. That's why I'll have to keep returning here.

Personally, I have experienced both Rekero and Serian vehicles, and I have to say that, whilst Rekero ones are not open, they are very well maintained and photographer-friendly.

I agree - although not a totally open top there are 3 roof hatches and the window height on the doors is great for low down shots just using a bean bag. Maybe it's just me but I end up using a monopod most if the time in open top cars and if anything it's more difficult to move position and get a good camera support than the Rekero cars. Perhaps I just need a better technique.

Keep the report and photos coming.... really enjoying it.

Great images of the Lions hunting, clearly the AF and exposure problems of the 7D have been greatly exagerated!

I had initially difficulties with the AF but worked hard to overcome it by setting up the camera to suit my shooting technique. The exposure meter is pretty good compared to our other Canons.

Thx for the comments on the hunt.

How did I miss this a few days ago? This is definitely the type of report I should have been reading in front of a roaring fire rather than under the fluorescent lighting of my office :rolleyes:

Beautifully written, twaffle! I love the Kazuri and Sheldrick soccer ball photos. And I actually like the tree trunk intruding on the giraffes.

I'm surprised to hear Rekero uses closed Landcruisers as the trend definitely seems to be toward more and more open camp-based vehicles. This is just an observation and not a criticism.

I would trade your sightings for all the open-sided vehicles in the world, Twaffle. You were very lucky, but Serian guides obviously work hard to improve your chances of luck. Great job on the wildebeest kill (I don't believe you that you don't know how you did it!). Your report is so nice to read in this blog style. Patty's right about the roaring fire, although as it's 28 degrees here today, perhaps mine should be metaphoric.

I'll add this Rekero vehicle for Patty - a crop from one of my photos... very "traditional" and "secure". On the plus side, also very comfortable, by the way.

781392066_22rWi-M.jpg

After the adrenaline rush we had just experienced, the small clearing amongst the trees on the edge of the river provided a welcome respite. We came to see if there were any more crocodiles and although we did see these two I was more interested in the hippo and calf resting on the river’s edge.

kenya2010_1354.jpg

kenya2010_1360.jpg

Then we paid attention to the birds surrounding us.

This white browed robin chat..

kenya2010_1365.jpg

I think this was a baglafecht weaver..

kenya2010_1372.jpg

A slate coloured bulbul...

kenya2010_1375.jpg

The baglafecht weaver again..

kenya2010_1380.jpg

I did have down that I photographed a black headed weaver but I think I missed that and just got these but I stand to be corrected..

kenya2010_1381.jpg

We left this quiet haven and headed towards where the third lioness was babysitting the cubs. On the way Daniel noticed this spitting cobra and we watched it for a while but it never came out of the long grass so that I could get a clearer photograph. This was the best I could do sadly.

kenya2010_1383.jpg

The lioness didn’t look particularly pleased at being left out of the action.

kenya2010_1386.jpg

Onwards we went wandering over the beautiful plains which were washed clean by the previous day's rain. The grass which had been nicely green was now a fantastic tsavorite crystal colour and the air had a sparkle to it which made even the dullest looking creature shine.

The one thing I haven't mentioned yet were the butterflies. I called it the butterfly season as there were clouds of them everywhere we went. Impossible to photograph even though I tried endlessly. The colours and designs were so varied that sometimes I just walked around letting them swirl around my feet whilst the wings appeared to flick the colours at me.

I'm not sure that Daniel and Kimansi quite understood my joy in some of these simple things of the Mara, they must see this butterfly phenomenon every year and because tourists don't come specifically for these insects they probably feel they are insignificant. If you ever get the chance to experience it, it's well worth it.

So enough talk, back to the sightings.

A secretary bird..

kenya2010_1391.jpg

A topi calf with its' new horns showing nicely..

kenya2010_1394.jpg

A mother and calf enjoyed the sunshine ..

kenya2010_1400.jpg

We came over a rise and were confronted by this very large herd of buffaloes, probably several hundred in all.

kenya2010_1401.jpg

kenya2010_1402.jpg

kenya2010_1414.jpg

I love the Grant's gazelle, so elegant and refined.

kenya2010_1423.jpg

As could be expected we saw many hyaenas, and this one was quite inquisitive before it followed behind the rest of its' clan.

kenya2010_1436.jpg

Finally we returned to Serian camp in the MNC, just in time for lunch. Obviously I had to spend some time before lunch sharing safari stories and although no one else had seen the lion kill they had all had good mornings.

After lunch I spent a short while lying on my bed trying to catch up with my journal which proved to be a waste of time because whilst I was lying there I heard some strange noises outside my tent. Looking out the window I saw a diminutive dwarf mongoose, so I quietly and slowly took my camera outside. Of course it immediately rushed into the bushes so I sat and waited. It wasn't long before I was rewarded with this mongoose mother and baby (what is a baby mongoose called?).

I spent quite some time watching their antics as they were joined by other members of their family.

kenya2010_1450.jpg

Did you even get a moment to sleep? What a trip. Perhaps we should block book those camps you stayed at just for Safaritalk members...

We didn't take a very long break before heading out again. Some of the other guests were walking across the plains to a spot which Serian likes to use for sundowners as it looks over the Mara plains into the distance. We were driving because we had places to go and things to see!

First we came across this bare-faced go-away-bird..

kenya2010_1451.jpg

One of many eland that we saw..

kenya2010_1456.jpg

The light came and went due to the heavy clouds which remained after some earlier rain. These animals were caught in some of the last rays of sun..

kenya2010_1464.jpg

This little reedbuck kept an uneasy eye on us.

kenya2010_1467.jpg

The distant storm threatening our party.

kenya2010_1473.jpg

Did you even get a moment to sleep? What a trip. Perhaps we should block book those camps you stayed at just for Safaritalk members...

Some nights I was so tired I couldn't sleep for weariness, but I was so very happy. It was like falling in love all over again!

Yes, I think we would all have a good time at a camp such as Serian. It is flexible enough to cater for all the disparate characters we have here.

Our main goal was the hyaena den not far from the sundowner spot. I don't know how long we stayed watching the antics of the cubs and the coming and going of the large clan. It was quite fascinating.

kenya2010_1476.jpg

The greeting ceremonies followed a predictable pattern, even the cubs knowing exactly what to do.

kenya2010_1480.jpg

kenya2010_1488.jpg

kenya2010_1494.jpg

kenya2010_1518.jpg

Sadly the light wasn't great for these photos but I managed to capture quite a collection of different interactions.

We weren't too sure how the sundowners would go as there were heavy clouds all around us.

kenya2010_1503.jpg

kenya2010_1509.jpg

Love that storm & cloud light bursts images Twaff, effective composition of the Acacia between showers.

Finally we reached our predetermined meeting place and found that we were the last to arrive. Why didn't that surprise me? We always seemed to be first out, last in. With a gin & tonic in hand I started to relax and enjoy the evenings conversations.

kenya2010_1519.jpg

John Moller is very keen on his photography, and had taken some very special photos which I saw on the back of his camera. So we had a grand time taking landscapes of the beautiful Mara skies and comparing notes.

kenya2010_1524.jpg

kenya2010_1535.jpg

kenya2010_1537.jpg

kenya2010_1542.jpg

Love that storm & cloud light bursts images Twaff, effective composition of the Acacia between showers.

Thanks Marc, I appreciate the comments. I love the African skies and I'm seen some pretty special ones coming out of Botswana. I'd almost go just for the skies. :lol:

I don't have photos to accompany the next part of our trip but I'll relate what happened anyway.

Once we had finished our drinks (accompanied by some very delicious, freshly made chilli popcorn) we all piled into Landcruisers and headed back to camp. The vehicle I was in was driven by Mark Gilks, the manager, and we had a group of us in the back huddled under blankets to keep warm. It was pitch black by this stage.

We went through a small glade of trees and came out the other side to find one of the camp vehicles spreadeagled in the mud! Who was it who wanted a 'stuck in the mud' story?

We tried pulling it out, we tried pushing it out, we tried encouragement, we tried chastisement … but the vehicle wouldn't budge. Apparently it was resting on the diff and was well stuck.

John hopped into the stuck vehicle and we moved to another position and tried pushing (or pulling … it's all a blur now) and although Mark and John were doing all the work, we girls in the back were providing plenty of encouragement.

It was great fun, we had frogs chirruping all around us and the night, though cool, wasn't cold. It was quite still and beautiful.

Finally, the vehicle came free with great yells of excitement from the driver who initially got it stuck. I think he took personal credit for getting it free … must have been his various instructions to Mark and John which they studiously ignored.

My swahili instruction certainly took on another flavour altogether! :lol:

Amazing! What a trip!

With what ISO did you take the Hyaena pictures at the den (since the light was so bad). I especially love this picture.

kenya2010_1473.jpg

Twaffle, keep on going girl! I love sky photos ,too, so I love yours.

G.W. What about a ' sky' heading? We all see some fabulous skys in Africa, I have one as my screen saver.

Jan