My Nat-Geo-Moments Safari

twaffle

madaboutcheetah
Amazing! What a trip!

With what ISO did you take the Hyaena pictures at the den (since the light was so bad). I especially love this picture.

The distant storm threatening our party.

kenya2010_1473.jpg

Twaffle,

Another vote for the distant storm picture ...... Wonderful!!!

What a splendid trip report - thank you! Now I know where I want to visit in 2011...

Even the weather, approaching storms and all, was an exciting event and photo opp! The mongoose is just too cute.

First out, last in, the only way to travel!

Amazing! What a trip!

With what ISO did you take the Hyaena pictures at the den (since the light was so bad). I especially love this picture.

Thanks Egilio, actually I started off at ISO400 and then changed pretty quickly to 1600. I wasn't paying enough attention to detail … story of my life!

Great report Twaffle - Thanks :)

Thanks everyone. I've lost my train of thought, where was I?

For our next adventure we were planning a day trip into the Mara triangle. I had wanted to visit the Western corner of the triangle, over by the Tanzanian border where the kopjes start and the woodlands are. I had been warned that the wildlife density would be low at this time of year but because I had already had such rich sightings I could afford a light day’s viewing. I wanted to go exploring and Daniel and Kimansi were game.

Again, we set off before the sun rose, me bleary eyed and Daniel and Kimansi bursting with energy. I asked them what time they had to get up to get ready to indulge me in my day trip endeavours and they said 4.30 am. I wonder whether we consider these long days for our guides, at least they didn’t have to keep me company in the evening so were able to (hopefully) have an early night.

My main objective in the triangle was to see one of the few, elusive black rhinos still inhabiting the area. I took one look at the very long grass and realised that my chances of seeing much at all were slim.

The dawn was not spectacular this morning, but pretty all the same.

kenya2010_1551.jpg

We descended onto the plains and through the gates and our first encounter was this rather fine elephant.

kenya2010_1559.jpg

kenya2010_1563.jpg

kenya2010_1568.jpg

The mists rolled down the sides of the Oloololo Escarpment and over the endless plains. It was such a pleasure to enter this richly grassed area.

kenya2010_1570.jpg

We headed towards a grove of croton bushes which are prime rhino country and trawled around the area looking for any sign of one but all we found was this stinking hippo carcass covered in vultures. It is hard to realise how devastated the vulture population has been by Furadan when you see this congregation and that's one of the reasons why it is so important to talk about their plight. If you only visited the Mara you would think all was well.

kenya2010_1577.jpg

We headed deeper into the triangle passing this Red Collared Widowbird on the way.

kenya2010_1583.jpg

The grass was thick and high either side of the road so we were most surprised when up ahead we saw this beautiful cheetah lying on the side of the road. It wasn’t in any mood to do much and besides, if it had decided to hunt we wouldn’t even have seen the tip of its’ tail.

kenya2010_1590.jpg

I hope you noticed the flies!

kenya2010_1593.jpg

So after a while of just watching the lovely animal we moved off towards our breakfast spot.

kenya2010_1601.jpg

kenya2010_1602.jpg

My rather pathetic attempt at butterfly photography. Where's Dikdik and his macro lens when you need him.

kenya2010_1604.jpg

Anyone see the butterfly in this picture? Neither do I, I think it flew away.

kenya2010_1607.jpg

I tried to take a head study of this heron but the shape of the neck and head defied an interesting crop.

kenya2010_1613.jpg

As we neared Serena, we came across this pride of flat cats.

kenya2010_1617.jpg

kenya2010_1618.jpg

The first close up of a magnificent male lion.

kenya2010_1621.jpg

Although I was prepared to stay for ages to see if they’d do anything, Daniel rightly surmised that they were there for the day. Seeing the silly little tree whose shade they were sheltering in, I thought they might move but no! Determining that we would pass this way on the journey back we headed off.

kenya2010_1625.jpg

We passed the back of Serena and headed off into unknown territory (for me). This was very sparse country with very few trees, endless rolling plains which seemed to go forever. No other vehicles passed our way, we didn’t even see raised dust from a distant car. But then we didn’t see lots of animals either! But we were having a great time, well I was.

We surprised this little Thommie fawn.

kenya2010_1647.jpg

You can see what I mean about the type of country we were in by this almost hidden Grant's gazelle.

kenya2010_1653.jpg

A little further on we came across this Pin-tailed Whydah.

kenya2010_1656.jpg

This hyaena was lounging in a culvert next to the road, quite relaxed and not at all concerned about the disturbance. I think they have beautiful, expressive faces.

kenya2010_1665.jpg

One of the consequences of the recent rain was the proliferation of small depressions which collected the rain and obviously held it in a marsh like configuration evidenced by this turtle and surrounding reeds. The rain must be frequent enough to top up the water.

kenya2010_1670.jpg

Our first major sightings in this area were a small herd of buffaloes looking pretty healthy and interested.

kenya2010_1672.jpg

Once again we had knocked off the elephant, buffalo and lion of the big five. Not that I'm a big five chaser but we had managed these three every day (even the first evening). We had managed four of the five on our leopard day but not the big five. Remember, historically it is the BLACK rhino which comprises one of the big five in hunting terms, not the more placid white rhino. Just want to make that point! :D

We came over the rise and headed along a ridge which wound its way along towards the Tanzanian border. The sides of the road now comprised a red, dry earth littered with stones and rocks. The occasional tree dotted the horizon but not an animal was in sight. The grass wasn't very prolific here and obviously the poorer soil accounted for that.

Suddenly Daniel called out something which I didn't catch and Kimansi braked hard. Leopard, over there in the tree!

I looked hard and sure enough, lying in the branches was a leopard … our second for the trip. I couldn't believe it, this didn't at all look like leopard country to my eye. No river near by, or undergrowth, this was not a riparian environment at all and there wasn't a lot to eat that I could see.

I took a couple of photos before we tried to approach for a closer look. This shy leopard was having none of it and it was down that tree and off before we could catch our breath.

kenya2010_1676.jpg

Finally, we looked over towards the Serengeti. If there is one word in all the languages of the world which epitomises safari surely it must be 'Serengeti'.

kenya2010_1687.jpg

...., no oribi sadly. Did see a duiker when walking but not quick enough with the camera.

Amazing! What a trip!

Thanks Egilio, actually I started off at ISO400 and then changed pretty quickly to 1600. I wasn't paying enough attention to detail … story of my life!

Pretty good for ISO 1600! I currently have a 30D which is grainy from ISO400 and higher. Looking forward to use my 7D the coming season!

Great trip report, - what luck you had, and I agree with others, some great shots. I hope we will be as lucky when I take my 13 year old graddaughter to the Mara (probably Kicheche camp) in July. It will be her first safari.

Gorgeous hyena portrait!

My thought exactly. And the running baby Thommie! The Maasai surveying the Serengeti is a great shot too. Thanks for the reminder on the 4:30 wakeups for the people who make it happen.

Your's is the first report I have read as I only joined a day ago. Fabulous report, superb photographs, if only I could take photos like those! I am looking forward to my next trip to the Mara in September, unfortunately I cannot afford to stay in the camps you frequent but the Serena will be better than nothing.!

Welcome to Safaritalk Samburumags and thanks for the comments. Serena is in a great position so I'm sure you'll have wonderful viewing.

Twaffle, it's about time for some more!

SamburuMags, so you've settled on Serena? In the other thread you were debating.

Lynn, yes you are right and I'm starting work now. Guess what, my father fell and broke his hand … as if he doesn't have enough on his plate and I spent hours last night trying to help a friend save a very sick new born foal. Never rains but it pours. Still, reliving my safari is good therapy. :rolleyes: