My Nat-Geo-Moments Safari

twaffle

Twaffle, what a triumph! I feel that I've been with you through the whole safari. You may not have spent a long time on

your journey, but, girl, did you get the maximum pleasure out of it ! You took me along the whole way with such enjoyment

and I am sure that I am speaking for so many of us on this forum. You have set me a severe task for when I set off for

my latest safari next week, and I'm saying now that I shall fall far short, so no promises, boys and girls!

Thankyou so much,Twaffle.

Gratefully yours,

Jan

Thanks everyone for your generous comments. Jan, I enjoy everyone's reports long or short and I look forward to yours immensely. In fact, with so many on safari there should be lots of great stories and photos on their way.

BTW, I took some inspiration for this report from Kimburu's reports (through Fodors) and Nyama's walk with the wild dogs which really made me feel like I was on that walk too.

I have some more ideas for my next trip to enhance the trip reporting further ... can't wait. :D

Have a great time Jan, where are you going, are you a photo genius as well. You lot make my Kodak Brownie look so inadequate :D

I wish I could post my comments ABOVE that definitive THE END. But I can't. I made it across the bridge with you and your warriors and am sympathizing with the wounded hippo.

I put this comment of mine in again after an edit. My previous comment had the word "about" instead of "above," making it just kind of weird.

I wonder if the lion that made the track was watching. You are so right about seeing people arrive at an airstrip for a safari when you are leaving to return home. Cruel is a good term, though to the uninitiated it might seem melodramatic. When I am the arriver, I try not be too giddy for the reasons you describe. I also recall feeling a bit resentful at new arrivals, that is until, I noticed one of them was blind.

So green, so green from the air.

Seems there are several of us heading to the Mara later in the year, staying in different locations. The contrasting reports will give some good ideas to others considering where and when to go.

Those of us with Kenya in our near futures can only hope for a fraction of the Twaffle Report. But somehow, Africa always comes through even if it is not the blockbuster sightings, so I think we'll return home as depressed as you were when you had to leave. And that will be good.

Thanks for taking us all on this wondefully written and illustrated safari. I'll look forward to going to the Southern Serengeti with you on your next outing.

Talking of the Serengeti, we were due to go to Kenya two years ago, when trouble broke out after the elections. Naturally the Home Office advised against travel to Kenya and the insurance company said they would not pay out, so we had our trip changed and ended up for a night in Arusha which was beautiful and several days in the Serengeti. It was January and guess where the animals were - on holiday in the Mara. So we saw very little. I had often dreamed of seeing the Serengeti but what a disappointment it was. I am hoping there are some beasties left in the Mara in September as I have never been there at that time of year. I am not worried about the Big Five as I have seen them many times and I have probably been fortunate in seeing more leopards than most, but as long as I see my big cats and warthogs which I really love, as long as I hear and smell my Africa then I will be happy. When we were last in Kenya I thought there was a possibility that I would lose my eyesight, but the wonders of medicine have resulted in a miraculous change in fortune and I can now even drive, so Kenya this time, probably the last, will be even more fantastic. Anyone reading this who has never been, save, save, save, it is worth every penny. It is a culture shock in many ways, especially if you go by road, which I think everybody should do at least once - flying is fantastic but you dont see the "towns" and the people as much as you do by road and you dont have the experience of bartering for your gifts to take home. I have a lovely big warthog which is being used as a door stop, he cost me £5 and is ten years old. Hey I almost forgot if you go by road you get a free African Massage! :D

Have a great time Jan, where are you going, are you a photo genius as well.

samburumags, as you are new to this forum you don't know that although I'm an experienced safari goer my photography

skills leave a lot to be desired! I just like to have a record of my trips, and if a few photos come out well then I' m

pleased. I'm off to Botswana on the 9th March, one of the gang who are heading that way, but not together. I think that

there'll be some competition, but I'm relaxed about it.

Jan

Twaffle,

Thanks for the wonderful account of your trip which brought back memories of my stay in the Mara on the Talek River in 2005. We were there in September but saw much less than your impressive final count shows. It's great that you wrote so much and so well and that you did it while it was fresh. Somehow I never find time to write these things down and then they fade away.

Somehow I never find time to write these things down and then they fade away.

Thank you John, your last point is exactly why I was determined to write this report as soon as possible. Even the last day's walk was vague on details because I had left it a week after writing the rest of the report. The memory because vaguer with age! :D

I have decided to take a small computer with me this time to hopefully download videos and record nightly what I have seen and done. No competition for Twaffle of course but easier than scribbled notes which often get lost or dont make sense when you read them back. I like the idea of keeping a list of animals as well. I always remember one safari when the animals did a disappearing act and we saw only a few birds but the highlight of the afternoon was watching dung beetles doing what they do so well - fascinating. Well they say little things please little minds :D

Samburumags, I would loved to have seen dung beetles. I had no room for a computer but would have liked to review my photos. At least I wouldn't have lost a disk full of camp photos. :D

Alex The Lion
Samburumags, I would loved to have seen dung beetles. I had no room for a computer but would have liked to review my photos. At least I wouldn't have lost a disk full of camp photos. :rolleyes:

Twaffle, missed the second half of this thread when I was away.....Looks like the 7D gives a good performance. Considering getting one for my side kick for this september.

I had the computer dilemma this trip. My Jobo pro would fill up quickly with only 80gb. I was bought a 9 inch Samsung netbook for Christmas. 160gb hard drive in addition to the portable drives. You could fit in a large jacket pocket. It retails at around $250 USD.

Far cheaper than my $600 jobo viewer.

Canadian Robin

I was determined not to allow myself to read your TR until I had finished mine, but discipline has never been one of my strong suits, so I sat down this morning and read your whole report from start to finish. Wow! What a treat! What incredible sightings you had. Your account and photos make we want to get onto a plane and head back to Serian and the Mara. We will definitely have to do the mobile camp next time. You mention that you spent two nights at Nkorombo and would have stayed longer if it had been possible. Why wasn't it possible for you to spend more of your 6 nights there?

So Kimanzi was working with Daniel? We enjoyed the company of Kimanzi and (guide) Jonathon while we were there. Had Jonathon left, do you know? You mentioned that, at breakfast and lunch, the "poor things probably would have preferred me to sit quietly" - don't worry, we talked Kimanzi's ear off when we were there. The only time I was quiet was when I was updating my journal, and then my DH would happily carry the conversation. Not sure why they bother setting up chairs - we rarely used them either.

I loved your bat-eared fox photos and those of the leopard checking out the vulture nest - what an amazing sighting. Your sunrise photos are gorgeous - those sunrises make the early mornings entirely worthwhile, don't they? I was surprised to read that it was Daniel's first kill in two years and Kimanzi'a first ever. It gives me a whole new appreciation of the kills we saw on our trip - also our first.

Thank you for a lovely read. I was enthralled! Robin

Thank you Robin, I'm glad you enjoyed my journey. Jonathon was there, I met him but he was obviously paired with someone else … perhaps they rotate them so the drivers can learn different guiding skills. Daniel was very interested in birds and was showing Kimansi the different species as well as me.

It didn't matter how often I said not to bother with the chair, they did. I don't thing they realised that they were far more interesting that the chair or solitude.

The only reason I couldn't stay longer at the mobile was because they had to take it down and re set it up back at Serian. They had a very large birthday group coming down from Nairobi which kept growing and growing, necessitating the extra tents of the mobile. It would have been a fun weekend, wish I could have a party like that.

I'm glad you liked the bat-eared foxes. I was as thrilled to see them for long enough to photograph them, as I was to see almost everything else. The fact that I found one family by myself gave me added excitement … I know, small minds and all that. :D

Can you imagine how long my TR would have taken if I had been away for as long as you were, I'd be on page 30 and still going! :rolleyes:

Canadian Robin

Well, I have just started page 100 of my TR! Wait until the sabbatical and I am there for a year!! :D

Wow, what a birthday! If we were only so fortunate! Robin

CR -Looking forward to your report!!!!

twaffle - Love your report and photos. Can you sort of summarize your itinerary, days in camp(s) for me. You were based out of Serian but also did mobile? How many days each? (Sorry if I missed that). Ooops, sorry just found that over at your Fodors report -

"Basic itinerary: 2 nights Macushla House, flight with Safarilink to the Mara, 1 night Serian camp, 2 nights at their mobile camp in the reserve and then 3 nights back at Serian camp. Flight back to Nairobi in the late afternoon, overnight Macushla and early afternoon flight out of Nairobi." (FWIW at - http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the...fe-viewing.cfm)

Was a short trip, like you said, and you flew all the way form Australia!!

How many in your "party" - you, Mr. t, Dad, and ? So Serian gives you a private vehicle if you stay ??? days with ??? persons in group, do you know?? Any discounts from published rack rates for long stays? Can you say anything about the "really good deal" you got?

Many thanks again for your report.

regards - tom

Was a short trip, like you said, and you flew all the way form Australia!!

How many in your "party" - you, Mr. t, Dad, and ? So Serian gives you a private vehicle if you stay ??? days with ??? persons in group, do you know?? Any discounts from published rack rates for long stays? Can you say anything about the "really good deal" you got?

Many thanks again for your report.

regards - tom

Tom, all my trips have to be short due to work commitments, but it is either that or no safari at all. :)

Only me in my party ... a group of one, therefore a vehicle just for me with a driver and guide. Serian gives you a private vehicle, period. Currently they have a pay five, stay seven and the package also included airfares to and from Nairobi.

My deal was $3715 for 6 nights including the airfares, all conservancy fees (Reserve, Triangle, Mara North Conservancy), private open 4x4, driver and guide, and the mobile camp, all drinks (including imported spirits), morning walk in the conservancy. I can't think of anything else at present but am happy to answer any further questions.

Game Warden
My deal was $3715 for 6 nights...

Oh boy Twaffle, did you get your money's worth...

My deal was $3715 for 6 nights...

Oh boy Twaffle, did you get your money's worth...

:)

Matt, what was even better is that I left feeling that I had made new friends for which I feel very blessed. Much like how I feel about my ST friends.

What a superbe report and incredible photos!

It was really a pleasure to read and look.

best regards,

Nenette

Ouch, Twaff, who are you calling a tourist? I did see an oribi, though... in the serengeti... it was being eaten by a serval. Pic to come.

Great pics by the way.

:)

tp

samburumags

Wow Twaffle now that is what I call value for money.

Canadian Robin

Tom - my TR is already posted on this forum and F. Robin

Twaffle, I've just looked through your photos for a second time, and they are so beautiful! I can't wait to get back to Africa. September seems like a loooooong time from now. :P

Game Warden

Ellie, you wait so long, then it goes so quickly :P Still, you get to relive every moment when writing your Safaritalk trip report :)