Birds In Flight... Upload your photos.

Game Warden

offshorebirder

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) flying in to a muddy pool at the Yawkey Wildlife Center. 

52878134152_5ed5dbf541_h.jpg

offshorebirder

Black Skimmers (Rynchops niger) fishing in an impoundment canal at the Yawkey Wildlife Center in coastal South Carolina.   

The first photo shows a skimmer in breeding plumage that just caught some tiny prey.   The second photo shows a bird in nonbreeding plumage (perhaps a young adult).

52895787129_618b8b1c79_o.jpg

52895619451_a138328771_o.jpg

The exact location where I took the photo is here:  

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33°12'00.1"N+79°15'19.1"W/@33.2000169,-79.2563956,462m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d33.200015!4d-79.255313

Edited by offshorebirder

• 2 weeks later...
Peter Connan

Of all the birds I still want to photograph one day, a skimmer must be close to the top of the list!

Wonderful shots.

Dave Williams

Walking/driving/cycling from Skala Kalloni in Lesvos, towards the estuary of the Tsiknias river in mid May there is an area of rough ground covered in a beautiful lilac coloured flower. I decided that was the spot to try for a Bee-eater shot .Not as easy as I thought! Trying to get both a bird and the flowers looking reasonably sharp in the picture proved impossible for me so I settled for this in the end!

52935774964_202eec28a4_h.jpgEuropean Bee-eater.  Lesvos 2023 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Double-crested Cormorant, Fran Lake, Alberta, Canada.

image.jpeg.9f0107f9d709eda001aa6efa7bc73f36.jpeg

Forster's Tern with a Brook Stickleback in its bill. Hermitage Park, Alberta, Canada.

image.jpeg.a5c2bc216181f82e1cd186421b912b73.jpeg

Edited by dasm

Peter Connan

Wow @Dave Williams (on all three) and great stuff @dasm.

One more Forster's Tern in flight.

image.jpeg.a1aa7052dcf86485f513fab44170e18b.jpeg

A quintessential Canada Goose in flight photo.

image.jpeg.6fddf012267a1fdd6ab4b2d3f265ff80.jpeg

Superb flight shots, Dave!

• 4 weeks later...
offshorebirder

Steller's Eider drake in flight on a rainy day near Utqiagvik, Alaska.  This is one of the rarest ducks in the world and the rarest in North America.   June 18, 2023.

53010381667_cb601a54af_o.jpg

offshorebirder

Red-necked Stint on territory on a patch of tundra at the base of Point Barrow, Alaska.  It was one of three Red-necked Stints singing on land and in the air, doing display flights and strutting about, and chasing each other and scrapping on June 17.

The scene was like a cross between a soap opera and a cage match.

Red-necked Stint is one heck of a bird to see in North America and seeing three at once competing for territory was mind-blowing.

53011940598_34dde9d44d_o.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

Looks like you're seeing some lovely birds Nate, and you're just getting started.

Last night I felt like having a go at swallows in flight. There was hardly any wind and a lot of insects were flying about. Good conditions for swallows and martins and certainly for me. Part of the fun was to try and catch them when they were swooping down over the sandy parking lot. A challenge for both the camara and myself, but those shots do make a change for the usual blue skies. Although I do like that one, too.

House Martin

P7089199-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

Sand Martin

P7089381-Edit-X2.jpg

P7089368-Edit-X2.jpg

P7089334-Edit-X2.jpg

Great shots @PeterHG

Such difficult photos to execute and you have brilliant results 

Dave Williams

Brilliant captures Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Black-tailed Godwits are very colourful at the moment, and they seem to be present at almost every waterbody

This one on the River Deben

Black-tailed Godwit

Black-tailed Godwit