Birds In Flight... Upload your photos.

Game Warden

18 hours ago, PeterHG said:

@pomkiwi: I love both shots! to have three birds interacting like that and catching them at it, requires a lot of skill and your seascape is certainly spectacular.

Thank-you. The buzzard photo was taken during a long day in the hide,  it was possible to see the second bird approaching as the first was feeding and to a great extent set up the shot beforehand. The camera autofocus followed the action - the crow escaping the action was an unexpected bonus.  The gull added some wildlife interest to a stormy day and I was interested to see how the autofocus coped with following a fairly rapidly moving bird across an active background. I didn't realise until I reviewed the images later that the bird only had one leg!

Marsh Harrier at Cley Marshes in Norfolk a couple of weeks ago. I always find these birds difficult to photograph as they always seem to keep their distance - even from hides. This one came closer than many but the image is till heavily cropped.

MFH_3283.jpg.dea64e4e48fb4fdef796c8510fb83f60.jpg

On 2/14/2022 at 6:03 PM, pomkiwi said:

Nikon Z6ii, Z100-400mm @ 220mm, f/7.1, 1/1250sec, ISO 450

Now that you've had time to play with it for a while, how are you enjoying your Z6ii? More to the point, how is it for BIF shots?

12 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Now that you've had time to play with it for a while, how are you enjoying your Z6ii? More to the point, how is it for BIF shots?

I posted a few impressions in the photography thread but overall I am getting increasingly happy with it as I learn a bit more how to use it. In my experience when paired with the 100-400 mm it acquires focus quickly and hangs on it very well - the gulls photographed against the stormy seas were not highly contrasting to the background and the light was pretty poor but the camera held on to the bird pretty well. I have previously played with the wide area focus points which follow the subject across the whole sensor area and one feature I like with this is that the camera does not indicate the focus point in real time or on image review unless it feels it hasn't held the focus in which case it indicates where it did focus. This sounds counter-intuitive but I actually found it helpful in indicating immediately when I had lost the subject.

I haven't paired the Z6ii with my 500mm PF yet but will do so when the weather improves a bit.   

17 hours ago, pomkiwi said:

I posted a few impressions in the photography thread

So you did. :rolleyes: I had not checked there. mea culpa. Thank you for the insights

with foul weather keeping me inside it was time to look back through recent images

I think Short-eared Owls are probably my favourites for 'in flight' photos. Even if the weather is dull, those eyes just grab you

51893497995_ec6a2dbec7_o.jpg.0d4901ccff9dfdf8b708fa1f4da63c7d.jpg

Dave Williams

A howling gale but no rain and a bit of sunshine today. It was too cold to go out so I spent a couple of hours watching a series of attacks on my bird feeders. The Hawk was too slow to escape his hiding place in a bush below my garden feeders, he took about 1.5 seconds to hit the feeder but the birds were quicker to escape. In actual fact the birds became so confident they amassed in a bush about 20 feet away and took it in turns to make darting raids to the feeders to grab a seed despite it seemed they knew what was waiting to pounce down below!

Fascinating to watch this deadly game.

51900220738_5a93a18cf5_b.jpgSparrowhawk attack! by Dave Williams, on Flickr

offshorebirder

Great description and photo @Dave Williams    I have seen the same cat-and-mouse game.

• 3 weeks later...

Klein Karoo, South Africa. March 2022

Western Marsh Harrier

Western Marsh Harrier

Western Marsh Harrier

Western Marsh Harrier

and a Southern Double-collared Sunbird. Robberg Nature reserve, Western CApe, South Africa

Southern Double-collared Sunbird

Kestrels are probably one of the easiest birds to capture in flight as they are kind enough to hover. Still beautiful to watch though.

Kestrel

Kestrel

Kestrel

Kestrel

Geese are nice and easy too

White-fronted Geese

White-fronted Geese

White-fronted Geese

A red kite drives a buzzard from its meal. Taken from a hide in Wiltshire in February.

DSC_2976-Edit.jpg.3243cc84c47d09d8993e4c35b2f432a8.jpg

Nikon Z6ii, Z 100-400mm @340mm, f/7.1, 1/1250 sec, ISO 450

Wonderful action shot of the Kite and the Buzzard!

On 3/20/2022 at 1:19 PM, Soukous said:

Still beautiful to watch though.

I agree and you caught it very well!

I was out getting some flight shots of the Barnacles. There were still plenty around, so I managed to take a fair number of photos. They are not really difficult subjects to shoot, as their flight is rather slow and predictable. Especially against the clear sky the focus locked on without any problem, A little more challenging, but also more rewarding, was to try and grab them when they were flying low against the green , brown and yellow of the meadows, trees and reed. The AF system of the Olympus was up to the task, fortunately and I do prefer those kinds of backgrounds. You don't always have a choice, of course.

P3210351-Edit-X2.jpg

P3260470-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

Towlersonsafari

a grey heron flying very kindly past the hide

_3280618_DxO.jpg

Every year a number of Shelducks sit on the common where I often take the dogs for a morning walk. Needless to say they take flight as soon as dogs or humans get within about 70 metres.

On the past couple of mornings though I've noticed that once they are in the air they circle around before flying off into the distance. So I started taking a camera with me. the first couple of mornings they circled quite far away and I got no shot. Yesterday though, they did what I hoped they would do and flew quite close overhead.

Shelducks in flight

Shelducks in flight

i had no idea what this was as it approached, except that I knew it was not a Shelduck, a gull or a Rook.

Turned out to be a Marsh Harrier. Didn't come as close as the Shelducks but still nice to see.

Marsh Harrier

Edited by Soukous

I've just had a great week on Mull. Didn't see any otters (it is apparently 'frog fortnight" when they feed on emerging frogs and tadpoles all night and sleep all day). I did see and photograph a short-eared owl and female hen harrier as well as some white tailed eagles on a boat trip, the light was poor and this image has been processed to give it a bit of a 'high key' appearance as it was pretty dull in the original.

DSC_6685.jpg.2bb2dd7df827bca325164cd97b1b88b4.jpg

Nikon Z6ii, Z100-400mm @ 400mm, f/6.3, 1/800sec, ISO 220

Edited by pomkiwi

17 hours ago, pomkiwi said:

some white tailed eagles on a boat trip,

Lovely shot of the Eagle. I'm on Mull late May and hoping for some days without rain. 

8 hours ago, Soukous said:

Lovely shot of the Eagle. I'm on Mull late May and hoping for some days without rain. 

Thanks Martin. We had incredible weather with only the morning photographing the eagles not being warm and sunny. The only disappointment was the complete lack of otters but I had a great week with them in December.

Botswanadreams

Brown Pelican - Loreto, Baja California Sur 

P1173388.jpg.18541fab8f5fe413de9c8b525a39f9ce.jpg

P1173393.jpg.264b5612759e001cd6ceb711ff47550d.jpg

• 1 month later...
Towlersonsafari

not content with posting barn owls in the owl section, i wanted to sneak one in on the birds in flight section! although this is more of a hover!

_5171742_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

and my first ever albatross at Bempton

_5170400_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

and we went to rspb Blacktoft Sands where we had very fine views of marsh harriers from various hides-the first picture is not cropped

_5131296_DxO.jpg

_5131298_DxO.jpg

_5131329_DxO.jpg

@Towlersonsafariexcellent birds in flight. If I had a Barn Owl shot as good as that I would post it in as many places as possible :)