graceland

...., could have been the cook was on leave maybe. I found lunch (one stir fry particularly good) to be a bit better than dinner....casseroles full of "whatever" I could not see does not appeal to me; and not as many greens/salads that perhaps more women would enjoy. The meat was inedible in Jud's opinion, but I am picky so perhaps I should not be so hard on them. I just felt for a camp who obviously spent time and money on the public area and lovely tents,(that shower, omg!!) they may have developed a better menu.

That is a small part of the experience; however Kishmo set the bar; Rhino made an effort (and provided quite a lot of veggie dishes as I had requested on my form from Craig) Rhino, being the only camp that actually provided everything I ask for which was small...veggies, a pillow for my back and sparkling water!

Felt like family there; really loved it.....also Jenny said to say hello remembered her well.

Just wanted to let people know in case they want to pack a protein bar; walking does stir the appetite and I beileve those bumpy roads burn cals. :D

Acaia was good...so I expected the same from Hwange. You did give me a warning about wine, so I avoided it! The french group seemed to enjoy it, so perhaps Andy had some french brought in! I did drink it that night; but with home made baquettes all wine is good!

Too much food is served on safari so Hwange did me a favor and let me get back to normal :blink:

@@graceland

Your enthusiasm shines through - it all sounds great (apart from some of the food!)

It was good to se the video - and we hope to see some of your pictures when you have the time (although a move is very demanding)

@@graceland

It sounds like you had a great time in Zim. So pleased you enjoyed Mana as much as I do.

Can't wait to hear all about it!

@@graceland oh dear, back already. I have been back since early sepember and am inconsoleable. Sounds like you had an amazing time. I am also a private guide convert; lord knows how we will ever afford it. My trip report is almost done, but the photos, so many photos!!!

Like youseleves we had an amazing time and I am setting myself a traget of getting part 1 of my TR up this week....fingers crossed.

@@graceland You are a wonder woman to be able to move and to write a trip report at the same time!

@@graceland what an infectious start. you make me want to go to Zim straight away now! even H is saying perhaps we should look at Zim too and definitely consider a private guide (he was reading it in OR Tambo yesterday during a 4-hour transit). I've been saying that since January this year! but your TR will surely influence him. :)

@@graceland You are a wonder woman to be able to move and to write a trip report at the same time!

Thank you @@marg, but in reality I am an escapist....a very talented one who fakes packing and sneaks in ST time between rooms :D sitting in an empty closet pretending I am "purging" the shoes. (Don't tell my husband)

@@graceland what an infectious start. you make me want to go to Zim straight away now! even H is saying perhaps we should look at Zim too and definitely consider a private guide (he was reading it in OR Tambo yesterday during a 4-hour transit). I've been saying that since January this year! but your TR will surely influence him. :)

Well, I sure hope so. I got the "Zim" bug from everyone here on ST and they certainly were NOT "overselling it". We were infatuated from the start.

I do think the walking aspect so well done in Zim offers such an up close and personal peek into the lives of the wild life we all love so much.

I would not recommend it to anyone who would not jump out of the vehicle in a flash to follow a track, or suggestions of the guide Or walk in the heat to find a water source....I never wanted to miss an opportunity so we were game for it all, even crawling on all fours in the dark, or covered in bees while sitting beside a termite mound with a pride of lions and our guide saying, STAY STILL...a bit emphatically! :rolleyes: Worth it all.

@@graceland oh dear, back already. I have been back since early sepember and am inconsoleable. Sounds like you had an amazing time. I am also a private guide convert; lord knows how we will ever afford it. My trip report is almost done, but the photos, so many photos!!!

Like youseleves we had an amazing time and I am setting myself a traget of getting part 1 of my TR up this week....fingers crossed.

Since you are back first @@ld1, you must start your trip report now! I don't have my photos to perfection, but in order for me to remain in the "moment" I start talking about it - to any and all that listen. ^_^

I would not recommend it to anyone who would not jump out of the vehicle in a flash to follow a track, or suggestions of the guide Or walk in the heat to find a water source....I never wanted to miss an opportunity so we were game for it all, even crawling on all fours in the dark, or covered in bees while sitting beside a termite mound with a pride of lions and our guide saying, STAY STILL...a bit emphatically! :rolleyes: Worth it all.

Now THAT's impressive!

Now THAT's impressive!

@@Atravelynn, just two stings :wacko: slight (not the size of our local bees at all - rather small) Craig thought they may have liked my "natural lavender scented cleanser in a convenient towelette pacakage". Decided dust was better than stings.

The bees would have freaked me out. I think Craig may be right on the lavender towelette front. Dust is the in thing in Mana anyway, and being covered in it is trendy. :)

Sounds like an amazing and very personalized trip. I really liked your video.

But...

covered in bees while sitting beside a termite mound with a pride of lions and our guide saying, STAY STILL...a bit emphatically!

This would have been the end of me.

Sounds like an amazing and very personalized trip. I really liked your video.

But...

covered in bees while sitting beside a termite mound with a pride of lions and our guide saying, STAY STILL...a bit emphatically!

This would have been the end of me.

Well, @@Marks it could have been.....but I realized they were NOT trying to sting me....Just swarming....So I garnered my inner "not so great yoga OHHMMM," and wrapped my legs around my knees as not to swipe at them (remembering, the "KEEP STILL"from the only second day with my guide and not wanting him to give UP on us as losers....I persevered. I'd say it was the one of two times on the trip when I was "not happy", but WOULD NOT GIVE UP....and so worth it. The second was Hippos when we were canoeing. That is another story; and again, one cannot give up!

I hope to get all the pics together and give a full report....but I think everyone is getting the picture. Like, can I go back tomorrow????? Time went "Way. Too. Fast"

.....Time went "Way. Too. Fast"

Yes, dastardly African time does that I have noticed. :(

Bee-induced yoga safari, maybe some savvy travel agent should start marketing that? :)

The second was Hippos when we were canoeing. That is another story; and again, one cannot give up!

Can't wait to hear about it.

The bees would have freaked me out. I think Craig may be right on the lavender towelette front. Dust is the in thing in Mana anyway, and being covered in it is trendy. :)

@@wilddog, first day....Mana...clueless on dust....had contacts in; walking; came upon the pride of lions, SIT in front of a termite mound (after hiding to see how relaxed they were.....) what happens? my contact pops out (I only wear ONE - weird visual thing I have) ..So on top of bees COVERING ME, I now cannot see! Well, you just HAD to be there....at least could see "yellow fur" and outlines. (and Craig,hissing, be still) I felt so bad I was looking for the contact. Gave up of course.

ONLY Me...for this to happen. I can laugh about it now. But i am sure the lions were chatting about the crazy blonde lady who could not see and was covered in bees. No wonder they did not want to bother to get up. :wacko:

Hilarious for a first! Was just hoping SOMEONE was photographing it all.

Havent gone through Go pro shots yet but hope there are more than my lousy ones. :wacko:

Ha ha @@graceland that could happen to me too! Just today was on the phone with my eye dr. trying to figure out if I need new contacts to take on my next Africa trip. Did you have an extra pair? I hope so! I have glasses I can also wear if I have to but I prefer not to - especially if it's hot and dusty. I've seen some of your photos, and they are not lousy - post some here!

This sounds like a terrific trip, hurry back to give us more.

What a nightmare for you @@graceland .

I have a pair or prescription (vari-focal) wrap around sun glasses which I wear on safari most of the time. Can see what's in front, read camera instructions etc; but in addition wraparound helps exclude bees and dust. :). Looking forward to hearing more when you have settled into new home.

@@graceland what a nightmare! I wear contacts and am pretty much blind without them. Even though I take them out I wear the ones you can sleep in as they are more comfortable, you can rub your eyes whilst wearing them (not recommended of course) and are generally more robust when handling. All pluses in the dusty, dimness of a safari!

I carry two spare pairs and my specs on Safari.

What a nightmare for you @@graceland .

I have a pair or prescription (vari-focal) wrap around sun glasses which I wear on safari most of the time. Can see what's in front, read camera instructions etc; but in addition wraparound helps exclude bees and dust. :). Looking forward to hearing more when you have settled into new home.

Not so much a nightmare but BAD TIMING! Since that afternoon I gave up on the contacts, which are daily wear so very thin and require lots of moisture to stay in...

My bag didnot have camera gear; it had 2 pr presc. glasses and 2 pr presc. sunglasses plus 2 pr regular sunglasses....just in case..

Ha Ha ....thank goodness. I can't see that well after my Lasik of 12 years ago began regressing, and peering into a viewfinder with glasses is hell. BUT, I managed a few so not so stressed over it. My memories are wonderful. I relive it over and over.

I had no idea esp. when walking of the dust. Happy I had purchased new presc. glasses and sunglasses just in case!

Moving was easy; its the unpacking that is no tiime consuming! Soon though!

Dust is certainly a feature of Mana come late September / October.

As October progresses, the seasons start to change - large storm clouds occasionally form in the afternoons, but only occasionally produce rain.

Strong winds become more and more frequent - sometimes blowing fro 24 hours at a time, filling the air with dust and causing the tents to lean crazily - sleeping through these windy periods is a real trial, and I frequently return from Mana with 'Mana lung' (no, not a real medical condition - just our nick-name for the dry chesty cough and wheezy breathing the dust causes).

Even on a quiet, still evening, shining a torch upwards quickly reveals just how much dust there is hanging in the air.

And I cant wait to get back :)

Dust is certainly a feature of Mana come late September / October.

As October progresses, the seasons start to change - large storm clouds occasionally form in the afternoons, but only occasionally produce rain.

Strong winds become more and more frequent - sometimes blowing fro 24 hours at a time, filling the air with dust and causing the tents to lean crazily - sleeping through these windy periods is a real trial, and I frequently return from Mana with 'Mana lung' (no, not a real medical condition - just our nick-name for the dry chesty cough and wheezy breathing the dust causes).

Even on a quiet, still evening, shining a torch upwards quickly reveals just how much dust there is hanging in the air.

And I cant wait to get back :)

Yes, the best part of all that dust is the lovely bucket shower waiting for you upon return...and a G&T or perhaps a lovely South African red. I'd do anything to be feeling that dust right now :mellow:

Several times I looked longingly at the Zambezi wishing for a dip....but knowing quite better with all those LOGS and BOULDERS lurking. :unsure:

The dust and the relentless heat have on more than one occasion made me to succumb to a dip in the mighty Zambezi......a carefully selected sandy shoal, where it is possible to see logs and boulders for a goodly distance all around, each of us taking a turn high on the bank as look-out just to make sitting in the Zambezi as safe as it can be, elephants grazing on the islands, hippo's laughing and snorting in the deeper channels...maybe a little foolhardy, but memorable and happy times!