graceland

You know this report makes me want to go back to Zim all over again :)

Let's go!!

Nothing like the present; and going for it..

(Sigh) Wishful thinking. But a place I feel many of us want to return.

It has been an exciting safari with all of your encounters on foot. I'm up to Rhino Camp. Those eles in the mud looked like you were all in the spa together! I hope you have the "Honorary Canoeist" trophy prominently displayed in your new home.

It has been an exciting safari with all of your encounters on foot. I'm up to Rhino Camp. Those eles in the mud looked like you were all in the spa together! I hope you have the "Honorary Canoeist" trophy prominently displayed in your new home.

Thank you @@Atravelynn for continuing on reading my report.....I am always humbled when my report is mentioned; as there are so many superb writers/photographers here on board; so I hope to encourage " reader lurkers" to jump in with no fear. Everyone is always happy to share thoughts and their expertise.

Rhino camp - such a pleasant surprise; both of us truly loved staying with Jenny and her fab. crew. And what a location! I'm still waiting for Craig and his leopard shots,(I thought a bit of flattery might get him through his photos quicker :huh: LOL)- although, I think I found two hidden somewhere in my files.I need to post them That sighting was a true find to come across those playful cats while on foot.

The canoe trip - well, it was obvious I had not had a paddle in my hands for over 20 years. However, IF there is a next time, I should be better prepared. I just purchased a kayak....help with the upper body strength! Thankfully I've no hippos in our waters but as of this week many geese, ducks and a labrador that wants to swim no matter the temps.

I hope the remainder of the report takes you back to Zim fondly.

@@graceland Talking of Craig, I'm putting some questions together for him for an upcoming Safaritalk interview...

No fear in the canoe or on the trip report forum! Good approaches to each. Do you have a G&T waiting for you after completing each report installation like you did after the canoe?

I think it was your Leo-ness that attracted the lions to Rhino Camp.

Sable AND roan at Hwange, how wonderful!

Regarding double posts, you can think of it like a repeated refrain in a song. Everybody now...

Edited by Atravelynn

@@graceland Talking of Craig, I'm putting some questions together for him for an upcoming Safaritalk interview...

As well you should. He found some intriguing articles in the last edition of Safaritalk Magazine....between walks in the wild, and listening to me chat ^_^

post-5364-0-98378800-1416074278_thumb.jpg

On 11/15/2014 at 3:40 PM, Atravelynn said:

No fear in the canoe or on the trip report forum! Good approaches to each. Do you have a G&T waiting for you after completing each report installation like you did after the canoe?

I think it was your Leo-ness that attracted the lions to Rhino Camp.

Sable AND roan at Hwange, how wonderful!

Regarding double posts, you can think of it like a repeated refrain in a song. Everybody now...

Able, Craig's right hand man in camp....finds out immediately what his guests' preferred drink of choice might be and has the ice in the glass, a lemon (which he found the second day though I thought the cucumber the first afternoon was refreshing); and,

as soon as you ride in, walk in, or are carried in....the gin goes in, with a splash of tonic.

His mother must have been a psychic naming him so.

Yep, somehow I am hitting double post keys but I've learned to politely ask for one to be deleted..or the entire post if anyone deems it too boring.

Seriously, seeing the sable as we pulled into camp!! OMG, all I could scream was "stop" - even after four hours of hell on wheels driving. A quick stop as Julian had his own work cut out for him and had been kind enough to meet us half way for the hand-off.

I was thrilled for Safaridude and Game Warden to achieve even better, picture perfect shots of them.

We were, as Craig repeated over and over....very fortunate in our wildlife coming to us! The lions in Rhino were very special. They arrived the day before!

Everything at Hwange was a plus.

I do have to thank .... for putting me in touch with Craig. I don't know if we would have ever considered Zimbabwe as we were just not familiar with anything but Mana Pools (and only because of all the great reports found here); and as you know, it is just too far to go to one park.

So, now I will look forward to GW's interview with Craig. I have a few questions I need to submit :rolleyes:

What????

@Gamewarden,

A handsome Zimbabwe guide vs......

(and I carried that mag. cover everywhere....I even put it on a bar... ;)

post-5364-0-25625700-1416098401_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@@graceland - finally catching up with your report! What a great read! Mana Pools definitely has to be my next destination. Do you know how far ahead Craig gets booked out?

@@graceland - finally catching up with your report! What a great read! Mana Pools definitely has to be my next destination. Do you know how far ahead Craig gets booked out?

@@JulieM

Thank you so for reading and enjoying the report. When I saw the "possibility" of an adventure like this in your future, I was hoping you'd find it. Our first in Zimbabwe and we wondered why we had not been before!

I started talking to Craig about 8 months out; but to get precise times I'd start asap. We worked around his schedule which was fine as we wanted to go in Sept.and he had the time slot availabile; it was booking the camps we wanted (after the mobile in Mana) that was tricky but it all worked out :)

Truly an exciting adventure!

Leopard on foot, how thrilling. Hwange kept up the thrills! Adorable jackal. And a sunset to send you off. I have a feeling you'll be back! Thanks for the detailed and captivating report that will likely bring Zimbabwe some visitors. Hope the "girls getaway" was fun. Maybe some of them could be convinced to join you.

Leopard on foot, how thrilling. Hwange kept up the thrills! Adorable jackal. And a sunset to send you off. I have a feeling you'll be back! Thanks for the detailed and captivating report that will likely bring Zimbabwe some visitors. Hope the "girls getaway" was fun. Maybe some of them could be convinced to join you.

I just ran into this after a LONG Thanksgiving weekend; thank you @@Atravelynn for completing the reading of my report; your words are so appreciative as I know how you are so adventurous; and how far and wide you go on travels!!

I'd love to go back to Zim....To the Eastern highlands, Gonarezhou - maybe ONE night at Pamushana as it looks so lovely. Slip over to Zambia for some great walks; & take maybe three weeks for the trip, not our usual two. Keep Craig and Ant going. :)

Working my way around Africa, and I do NOT want to stop. :D

I pinch myself that I am able to go ...who knew after that "first, one time memorable, all time consuming- and expensive celebration" in Africa; I of all people would get this itch that constantly needs to be scratched!

Just lucky.

• 5 weeks later...

@@graceland,

This report is terrific, and so informative! Your love of Africa's wildlife shines through, and somehow I suspect it will include hippos and crocs at some time! I am planning a month-long Zim safari in 2016; you and Jud went to some of the same camps I plan.

I travel carry-on, coach class on SAA via Brazil (as I live in Panama); yep, 8 kms. is doable, even if friends can't believe it. I recently wrote a piece on TRAVEL LIGHT AND SMART for my gal pals. Curious about those nice-looking lightweight sneakers I saw in one of your pics...care to share the brand name? I took Keens on trip to Zambia in August; ok, but not ideal. Am sure none of the guys on ST have the least interest in this exchange!

Thanks, Matt. Am not sure of the protocol.

@@graceland,

This report is terrific, and so informative! Your love of Africa's wildlife shines through, and somehow I suspect it will include hippos and crocs at some time! I am planning a month-long Zim safari in 2016; you and Jud went to some of the same camps I plan.

I travel carry-on, coach class on SAA via Brazil (as I live in Panama); yep, 8 kms. is doable, even if friends can't believe it. I recently wrote a piece on TRAVEL LIGHT AND SMART for my gal pals. Curious about those nice-looking lightweight sneakers I saw in one of your pics...care to share the brand name? I took Keens on trip to Zambia in August; ok, but not ideal. Am sure none of the guys on ST have the least interest in this exchange!

@@panamaleo

Thank you for your very kind words upon reading my meandering trip report. There are so many superb writers here on St; that at times I wonder if I should....then I start and cannot stop! Brings the memories back for sure.

Zim was most amazing (though I am distraught with them at the moment with the baby elephant scheme) however, I cannot take from the camps worth because I am angry with their government. And they are all working against this I am sure.

So...to the sneaker question.. Yes very lightweight and are made by PUMA. I found them in a warehouse type discount shoe store of all places as I was particularly looking for lightweight. They have been on 5, almost 6 safaris! And to Patagonia... I think you can search the internet and find similar these days. Perhaps some of the guys would be interested if they could tempt the wives to only go with carry-ons as we do. Everything I buy is super lightweight. Mostly fly fishing clothes that dry so quickly. And are very lightweight. You probably know all this as you wrote a blog; but people cannot believe I actually do it.

:) Of course I do not carry heavy photo equipment; I leave that to pros.

Again thank you for taking the time to comment; it is a nice New Years gift for me. I've been hoping to receive more pics from our guide -- while walking it was difficult to take quick shots as he did..I am sure he is so busy but hopefully - in the new year he will have time.

Would love to hear about your Zim plan...have you posted in the Trip Planning Section here on ST? Please do; everyone is always interested!!

Happy 2015! :D

Edited by graceland