Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, xelas said:

But then the Heron posed so nicely :). What a bummer for Reds, City is the last team I was hoping for :(:angry: ... 

@xelasYou have to play everyone eventually and we are not afraid of Man City, our record against them is excellent! Should be great games to watch and hopefully plenty of goals and attacking play. We'll take Real in the semi , Barcelona in the final!

The big problem for us is we have Everton in between the two games and it's critical we win , City play Utd but they can easily afford to lose that as they have the Premiership already tied up.

Under the new rules, if Arsenal were to win the Europa Cup they replace the 4th place team in the Champions League and the 4th place drop in to the Europa. 

Edited by Dave Williams

One step closer after today's game :)

Dave Williams

@xelas  It was soon apparent there was no way we were not going to win. A good performance and enough to keep your mind off your freezing feet!

I made a mistake re  4th place, the 4th place is safe unless two teams from outside the top four places win both Champions League and Europa Cups. The maximum number of clubs that can qualify for Champions League from one country is 5, so now Chelsea and Spurs are out it doesn't matter if Arsenal win the Europa 

@Dave Williams caught up a few pages in one go and what a fantastic collection from the Gambia, and not at all shabby stuff from Goa. Love that 200th flycatcher. 

I'm a long way from 200th, and don't even talk about the quality. all of you have set such incredibly high standards - more motivation for a starter like me.

Edited by Kitsafari

Dave Williams

228) Lesser Sand Plover

The beach was the one place where you could find some good spots for bird photography. The Gulls and Terns might have disappeared but there was always the Sand Plovers... so I took hundreds of shots.

I am however desperate to find a Greater Sand Plover amongst them and I'm finding it difficult !

These are definitely Lesser IMO.

40880144141_75f1172a7d_b.jpgLesser Sand Plover Charadrius mongolus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

27010027128_0d0fa65ab8_b.jpgBH2I4092 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

27010031538_a7bed0c960_b.jpgLesser Sand Plover Charadrius mongolus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

but there isn't a lot of difference between Lesser and Greater. Bill size is one of them.

So.... what about these?

40880148321_d04d3058e2_b.jpgLesser Sand Plover Charadrius mongolus_1 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

or am I just hoping to find something that isn't there!

26008096117_25a58c5fa9_b.jpgLesser Sand Plover Charadrius mongolus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

229) Kentish Plover

The ones in breeding plumage are easier to tell the difference as they have ginger heads!

40880144791_80cf581abd_b.jpgKentish Plover Charadrius alexandrinus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

27010029678_517cc6069f_b.jpgKentish Plover Charadrius alexandrinus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

and even without they look that bit smaller when together and have a white collar.

40172265204_20ed600512_b.jpgBH2I3271 by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

230) Little Stint

One of my favourites, I was delighted to find a single specimen which despite looking for again in following visits didn't manage to relocate.

39987051575_906b2c016b_b.jpgLittle Stint  Calidris minuta by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Compared to a Lesser Sand Plover it really is tiny.

39987050975_c0d1b29b85_b.jpgLittle Stint  Calidris minuta by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

232) Long-tailed Shrike

The first pictures I took on the day we arrived were of this Shrike.

39987295435_1d8fc4e4c8_b.jpgLong-tailed Shrike   Lanius schach by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I never got anywhere close to it though after that as it was off the minute it saw me coming so to get a shot of the tail I had to make do with a big crop.

27010706758_0522c3251f_b.jpgLong-tailed Shrike   Lanius schach by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

233) Lesser Adjutant

This was a bit special and the only "lifer" of the trip. A bit distant and with no way of getting closer but hey, who's bothered!

40148066484_60ec5d272a_b.jpgLesser Adjutant   Leptoptilos javanicus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I looked again the following morning but they were gone and not seen again.

25984893157_f31cfe9820_b.jpgLesser Adjutant   Leptoptilos javanicus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

234)Pied Bushchat

I assumed I was looking at an Indian Robin until I got home and checked the field guide.

25984709677_aebb7a5783_b.jpgPied Bush Chat Saxicola caprata by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The white parts are not always easy to see.

25984709827_686deb6c12_b.jpgPied Bush Chat Saxicola caprata by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Usually they appear black until they fly.

25984709947_6a5c768b55_b.jpgPied Bush Chat Saxicola caprata by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The female is again easy to confuse being a "LBJ".... a little brown job.

25984710107_307a8a65f8_b.jpgPied Bush Chat Saxicola caprata by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

235) Asian Koel

This tends to be another skulker in the canopy but they do come out sometimes.

The adult is black.

25984709607_6151ef8d56_b.jpgAsian Koel  Eudynamys scolopaceus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The juvenile a rather exotic spotted pattern making you thing something totally different.

25984709747_64dddd997a_b.jpgAsian Koel  Eudynamys scolopaceus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

@Dave Williams - my reading on LSP vs GSP lead me to the conclusion that it’s all in the bill shape and length.

You could convince me that the one in the last had the right shape and a bill longer then the distance between the back of the eye to the front of the face 

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Maybe this one is worth another look but not for GSP?? Full white collar?

I could also be tempted with the last one for the reasons stated by @lmSA84

It certainly has some attributes.

Peter Connan

I have always loved low angle shots, and that first Lesser Plover is a fantastic example!

Also, it's only mid-March and you have already exceeded my best-ever total!

Dave Williams
7 hours ago, Galana said:

Maybe this one is worth another look but not for GSP?? Full white collar?

I could also be tempted with the last one for the reasons stated by @lmSA84

It certainly has some attributes.

@Galana  That one slipped in by mistake hence the fact it's not titled! Presume it's a Kentish.

Dave Williams
3 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I have always loved low angle shots, and that first Lesser Plover is a fantastic example!

Also, it's only mid-March and you have already exceeded my best-ever total!

@Peter Connan That was the difference between Goa and The Gambia. Plenty of birds but the photo opportunities were much better in TG. Hard work in Goa for many reasons. We had a great holiday there though and very inexpensive! A meal for 2 plus drinks less than £15 or 250R. I will write a brief trip report in due course.

At least your hard work in Goa paid off! Beautiful low-angle wader shots!

Great additions, and wonderful photos of the plovers and the stint - such beautiful little birds.

I agree. Considering your expectations for Goa were not high you have really made it work for you.

I think you may have to consider changing your Avatur.

Dave Williams

@Galana I'll soon be overtaken again me thinks!

Been over to Dublin for the day today but didn't take the camera. Missed out on 5 new species for the year too! The Irish Sea was virtually deserted but Dublin Harbour and the beaches either side were absolutely jam packed with '000's of birds.

Here's one I added from The Gambia but the photo wasn't too good, this one is a lot better.

40173844314_2811ce9590_b.jpgMarsh Harrier   Circus aeruginosus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Peter Connan

Jip, stunning shot! All my Marsh Harrier shots are brown blobs...