Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

I was down with the flu ever since the year started, so no chance for birding or photography. Today, however, I felt recovered and restless enough to venture outside again. After all the Big Year 2018 is already in full swing and there's no time to lose. My wife told me to take it easy, but I replied that the BY does not wait for stragglers. The mention of prize money finally convinced her to allow me an hour in the field ;). The idea was to at least try and find some of the wintering guests while they are still here. We'll be leaving for Namibia in two weeks' time and when we return they will have returned to the far north and we never know if we get another chance before the year is over. Yes, the pressure of taking part is unbearable at times.....

As it turned out, I only managed to see a distant Smew and, though with a little imagination it is still recognizable, I wil not show it. If my standards slip this early in the year, you can just imagine where I will end up. Well, ok, I'll save it for if I get really desperate later...:)

I did get a few shots of some common ones:

01. Canada Goose. (Branta canadensis(January, Arkemheen) There is a fairly large breeding population in the country. The biggest of our geese

i-7GQhFG8-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

02 Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) January, Arkemheen. 

i-g9K2mQH-X2.jpg

03. Eurasian coot (Fulica atra). January, Amersfoort. Abundant, wherever you go. Still beautiful in the right light.

i-PK3Cvqb-X2.jpg

04. Common Moorhen  (Gallinula chloropus). January, Amersfoort. 

i-H7gkZxk-X2.jpg

Welcome to the new game, Peter. I am getting very nervous here, all of you are super-active or even in Africa while I haven't even touched a camera.:)

@PeterHG, Im glad you're back so I can enjoy your lovely photography again. Yes, even the Eurasian Coot looks beautiful.  I'm sure the Namibia trip will give you ample opportunity to boost the numbers, and good job you should be well over the Flu by then. Sicknesss and international travel is 'the pits". 

Good start, Peter. Namibia, of course, will full your cards much faster:). BTW Elsje and Johan are sending you their warmest regards! Why oh why I have not stayed there for at least 2 nights :(?!

16 minutes ago, xelas said:

Good start, Peter. Namibia, of course, will full your cards much faster:). BTW Elsje and Johan are sending you their warmest regards! Why oh why I have not stayed there for at least 2 nights :(?!

Thanks, @xelas! Glad you enjoyed your stay in Montagu. Aren’t they just wonderful people? The last I heard is that they would have to give up the farm, which is such a shame.I was our favourite stay of ghe January trip!

Dave Williams
17 hours ago, PeterHG said:

I was down with the flu ever since the year started, so no chance for birding or photography. Today, however, I felt recovered and restless enough to venture outside again.

Glad you are feeling better Peter.

After all the Big Year 2018 is already in full swing and there's no time to lose. My wife told me to take it easy, but I replied that the BY does not wait for stragglers. The mention of prize money finally convinced her to allow me an hour in the field

Did you tell her you were putting up the cash though!!!! 

The idea was to at least try and find some of the wintering guests while they are still here.

An excellent strategy, we might need to visit somewhere hot and exotic next December if the going gets too tough.

We'll be leaving for Namibia in two weeks' time and when we return they will have returned to the far north and we never know if we get another chance before the year is over. Yes, the pressure of taking part is unbearable at times.....

Yes it's a tough life isn't it:rolleyes:

Namibia is cropping up so often amongst us maybe we should invest in a holiday home or even , dare i say it, a Best Marigold Hotel.

Now there’s a thought, Dave :D!

22 hours ago, PeterHG said:

If my standards slip this early in the year, you can just imagine where I will end up.

You will end up with the rest of us, scraping along with EBC.

Well done on a great start and commiserations on the bout of 'man flu'.

Having experienced Schipol at 4 am this morning I can understand the reason.

Edited by Galana
grammar.

Dave Williams

Sitting on an aircraft breathing recycled air has to be a dodgy pastime when it comes to picking up germs.!

A holiday home in Namibia ?! Not ! But what about buying a Toyota Hilux ?? It could become a perfect pool car :D.

05 Eurasian Siskin (Spinus spinus). Amersfoort, January 14. There were quite a few of them, but too many branches to get a decent shot. This was about the only chance I got. I was actually looking for the Firecrest, which was 'still hanging about' according to another birder. No luck, but I at least I got this one.

i-jPDJWWM-XL.jpg

Ventured out again today after the storm. A bit of sunshine and 2 ticks for the year. 

06 European Golden Plover  (Pluvialis apricaria) Eemnes, January 2018. There were quite a few of them. There's also a lapwing there and a black-headed gull but I should be able to get a better one of those later. (risky tactics, I know ;))

i-FQt58Pb-XL.jpg

07. Common Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus). Eemnes, January 2018. They usually fly off the moment you stop the car, but sometimes you get lucky.

i-44BDNqf-X2.jpg

Gorgeous shot, Peter!

10 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Gorgeous shot, Peter!

I'll second that! You can almost see the camera's reflection in the eye 

Dave Williams

Was that with a 7D2 Peter ?

Dave Williams

Must have been close Peter. Nice one!

Thanks Dave and yes it was close.I had the 1.4 converter attached, but I had to zoom out quite a bit to get the whole bird in the frame! I had the converter calibrated with the lens ( well it did not need any tweaking as it turned out) and for the test they had fixed the iso to 1250. I only noticed ths when checking the exif, showing f13. I could easily have used a lower iso, but it did not turn out too bad. Sometimes I do forget to check all the settings before going out.....

Edited by PeterHG

Adding my like to the birds especially the Kestrel. Missing from my 2017BY would you believe but determined to nail one in 2018. You had quite a storm I see.

And another one from me!

14 hours ago, PeterHG said:

There's also a lapwing there and a black-headed gull but I should be able to get a better one of those later. (risky tactics, I know ;))

Don't worry, you can always use this photo :D!

The kestrel, a true beauty, almost eye-to-eye distance. When subject fills the frame high ISO is not much of a problem.