Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

403. (Tundra) Bean Goose.  Distant, but at the end of the year we are not choosy ;)

i-8xc6Tw4-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

404. Hen Harrier (female). Flevoland, December. 

i-7jBgGx6-M.jpg

405. Whooper Swan. Flevoland, December. I took the trip to Flevoland, especially for the Whooper Swan and the Harrier and got them both, albeit only distant views.

i-FRXNNSV-L.jpg

When I looked at my Big Year spreadsheet, I noticed that I had not even posted the much more common swan....

406. Mute Swan, Amersfoort, December

i-ZM5hT3C-X2.jpg

i-Fr7W3TB-X2.jpg

A little bit of sunshine in an otherwise grey month provided a change to test the new Olympus gear. Nothing new for the count, though

i-6DTnvbQ-X3.jpg

i-B7DKSDH-X2.jpg

i-r3NW6mb-X2.jpg

A very lucky find at the end of the Flevoland trip. This, I think, concludes my Big Year for 2018. On to 2019......!

407. Merlin. Arkemheen December

i-7sZKT9R-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

A great finale to the year. Well done.

An excellent bird to end 2018 on!

Looks like the Olympus is doing a good job

nice capture of the merlin

I think you have found the right gear for your back, @PeterHG! Merlin is a great bird to end your excellent BY 2018.

Thanks @Galana, @Kitsafari, @Tdgraves and @xelas !

23 minutes ago, xelas said:

I think you have found the right gear for your back, @PeterHG

It certainly looks promising, but the real test will be Costa Rica, where rainforest photography will be a challenge for the smaller sensor. Still, the Olympus is the camera I'm taking with me, so you'll get to see the results in this year's big year thread ^_^

A great finish to an excellent Big Year - and lovely photos from your new camera. I look forward to seeing more in 2019:)

Peter Connan

Lovely birds to finish on, and great shots as usual Peter!

Lovely shot of a Merlin to finish on.

Merlin is a great find indeed, and a worthy choice to cap off an excellent Big Year. I see your Pintails are as accommodating as mine but your Bussards seem to behave differently -how did you get that one? Looking forward to your 2019, especially Costa Rica. 

Thank you, @Zim Girl and @michael-ibk !

3 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Merlin is a great find indeed, and a worthy choice to cap off an excellent Big Year. I see your Pintails are as accommodating as mine but your Bussards seem to behave differently -how did you get that one? Looking forward to your 2019, especially Costa Rica. 

Somehow the wintering Buzzards seem to be less shy sometimes. It might also be my non-threatening pensioner's face, of course ...;)

Dave Williams

Green with envy about the Merlin, what a cracker to finish on. Along with Barn Owl it's my top of the wish this year in the UK.

The Olympus looks good too, I'll be interested to see how you progress with that, especially in poor light and using Canon lenses (I'm assuming you might get the adapter?).

Edited by Dave Williams

Thanks, @Dave Williams. The Merlin really was a lucky find. Never before did I have even the slightest chance of a photo on the few occasions I've seen one. I'm really looking forward to finding out how the Olympus will perform in Costa Rica. I don't have use the Canon lens for it as the combination seems to have mixed reviews for af. I bought the Olympus 300mm with 1.4 converter. So far I am impressed with speed and sharpness, even with the converter attached. If the Olympus holds its own in the rainforest, I  might sell the Canon gear altogether when I get back. I cannot really afford to keep both

Dave Williams

Yes, trying to run two systems alongside each other just doesn't work for many reasons. I tried a foot in both Nikon and Canon for a while.

I will be watching what you decide, I would like a decent crop body camera and a lightweight lens I know I'll be able to manage for years to come so I might jump ship again, or I might see how Canon develops their range.I'm up to my neck in expensive Canon gear so it's a tough decision unless , and it's unlikely, I can find some good used gear. 

Good news is that expensive lenses holds its price quite high. Camera bodies are anyway outdated even before the first lot is sold off the shelf. 

2 hours ago, xelas said:

expensive lenses holds its price quite high.

Hmmm! Tell that to my friend who sent his Sigma for repair only to be told they no longer have the parts for it.

I have no comment to make on the Camera/bins debate.

2 hours ago, Galana said:

Tell that to my friend who sent his Sigma for repair only to be told they no longer have the parts for it.

Well, he should sell it earlier ... :D