Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

174 / Nam 156. African Rail. Feb. Mobola Lodge. We had just settled on the terrace of our bungalow, when this rail appeared form the reedbeds.

i-swrMmbv-XL.jpg

More excellent photos. Now you may appreciate why I love Mahango NP although the whole area is wonderful. Lucky with the Arrow -marked Babbler that nearly got away!

Not so lucky with the "African Rail" though. It is actually an African Crake. Crecopsis egregia. Sorry! :(

Thanks, @Galana, you’re right of course, as always !  Can’t change it in the post anymore, but I’ll adapt the spreadsheet. 

Edited by PeterHG

Beautiful Pel's! enjoying your HQ photos. 

175 / Nam 157. Black Crake. Feb. Mobola Lodge

i-tRwZHW9-XL.jpg

176 / Nam 158. White-faced (Whistling) Duck. Feb. Buffalo Core Area.

i-wfg9HBZ-XL.jpg

177 / Nam 159. Reed Cormorant. Feb. Buffalo Core Area.

i-vLKLrgr-XL.jpg

178 / Nam 160. African Jacana. Feb. Buffalo Core Area

i-ZcdwGGf-XL.jpg

179 / Nam 161. Squacco Heron. Feb. Buffalo Core Area.

i-C8xTvfB-XL.jpg

180 / Nam 162. Black-winged Pratincole. Feb. Buffalo Core Area. On the Okavango floodplains we saw a dozen or so of these rather unobtrusive birds. Lifers.

i-Kvhr5WJ-XL.jpg

181 / Nam 163. Yellow-billed Egret. Feb. Buffalo Core Area. I think they are also called Intermediate Egret. Quite common in this area.

i-zG7GxnR-XL.jpg

182 / Nam 164. Whiskered Tern. Feb. Buffalo Core Area. The only ones we saw on the trip.

i-M8nhfRm-XL.jpg

183 / Nam 165. Long-tailed Paradise Whydah. Feb. Mobola Lodge. Beautiful, but always hard to fit the whole tail into the picture. And if you do manage that, the 'looking' space (here to the right of the bird) is less than one would like. The alternative would be not to crop the bird, but that would not do justice to its beauty. I always struggle a bit with this.

i-D8CVCZ4-XL.jpg

184 / Nam 166. Blue Waxbill. Feb. Mobola Lodge.

i-P32Xppt-XL.jpg

185 / Nam 167. Rock Pratincole. Feb. Mobola Lodge. We took a boat trip from the lodge late afternoon and returned when it was almost dark. When passing some rocks in the water, our guide pointed to some birds resting on them. They turned out to be Rock Pratincoles, another lifer for me. I did manage to take a few shots, but obviously they are dark and noisy. Still, the camera did well to even focus properly and I was happy to at least get a photo.

i-9SBxtj9-L.jpg

186 / Nam 168. Emerald-spotted Wood Dove. Feb. Roy's Rest Camp. This was the only place I saw them at all and they were pretty shy.

i-rsW7JbR-L.jpg

Peter Connan

TWO Pratincoles! And great waders! 

54 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

TWO Pratincoles! And great waders! 

Thanks,  @Peter Connan. Yes, I felt really lucky seeing the pratincoles, which were both lifers.

Well, I'd better just go on and try and finish my Namibia collection. I still have some waiting from my home area...

187 / Nam 169. Crested Francolin

i-3pzLBwR-L.jpg

188 / Nam 170. Black-faced Babbler. Feb. Roy's Rest Camp. This is the one I hoped to find at the camp and fortunately I did.

i-Bj8bc6H-XL.jpg

189 / Nam 171. Red-billed Buffalo-Weaver. Feb. Roy's Rest Camp

i-V3vtzQW-XL.jpg

some fantastic additons @PeterHG and the IQ is outstanding. 

190 / Nam 172. Violet-backed Starling. Feb. Roy's Rest Camp. Always a spectacular bird to see.

i-hPx2Prk-XL.jpg

191 / Nam 173. Black-chested Snake Eagle. Feb. Waterberg

i-bcFsWX6-L.jpg

192 / Nam 174. Groundscraper Thrush. Feb. Waterberg

i-4t4xnrT-L.jpg