Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

• 3 weeks later...

Well, back from a 10 day-trip to the Gambia. A mixed bag, I'm afraid. Came down with food poisoning on day 5 and have only recovered since returning to Holland. Fortunately the last two days days I felt a little better, so we were able to do do 2 short trips, but it certainly played havoc with most of our planned outings there. On the bright side: I still managed to see a fair number of birds in Kotu and on the full-day trip to Kartong we managed to do, including quite a few lifers for me.

326. (G1) Village Weaver. Kotu, Gambia October

i-fDjmdwF-XL.jpg

i-Bs66dzP-XL.jpg

327. (G2) Hooded Vulture. Kotu, Gambia, November. Very ery common and sometimes, like here on the beach, quite approachable.

i-TGMqczg-XL.jpg

328. (G3) Common Bulbul. Kotu, Gambia, November. Almost forgot to take a photo...

i-DdmxqBH-L.jpg

329 (G4). Western Reef Heron. Kotu Gambia, November. A lifer for me, but quite common around Kotu Creek.

i-gX4v3Mk-XL.jpg

330 (G5). Wire-tailed Swallow. Kotu, Gambia, November

i-fknbnsn-L.jpg

331 (G6) Spur-winged Lapwing. Kotu, Gambia, November. I'd only ever seen one in Lesvos a few years ago, but they are hard to miss in Gambia.

i-ZgLdjfC-XL.jpg

Welcome back from the Gambia Peter! Oh my , very sorry about your illness, always afraid of something like that myself when travelling. Excellent starting pictures!

Very sorry to hear about your food poisoning incident.

Magnificent shots, especially of the Hooded Vulture!

Street food or hotel food, Peter? Great opening, looking forward to see them more!

Thanks @michael-ibk and @Peter Connan !

1 hour ago, xelas said:

Street food or hotel food, Peter? Great opening, looking forward to see them more!

Neither @xelas, we went for a meal at a nearby restaurant, which had been recommended. Jeannette had the same meal, but (fortunately) was not affected at all.

Dave Williams

I have been really looking forward to hearing about your trip Peter, not a good start though. I have never suffered with an upset stomach in any of my many visits to TG and yet almost guaranteed when I go to India.

I always think that handshakes and money are the biggest threats, not the actual food.

12 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I have been really looking forward to hearing about your trip Peter, not a good start though. I have never suffered with an upset stomach in any of my many visits to TG and yet almost guaranteed when I go to India.

I always think that handshakes and money are the biggest threats, not the actual food.

You may well be right, Dave, if you look at the state of the local money. We were not the only ones affected. One other Dutch couple suffered the same symptoms at the same time. I am certainly more susceptible to infections like that than the average tourist (or my wife, for that matter....;)

Great start to your Gambia birds Peter, shame about getting sick though.

Already in the count, but how I love these little colourful birds. Especially with the proverbial bee... Little Bee-eater.

i-FZC8z4B-X2.jpg

332. (G7). Vinaceous Dove. Kotu, Gambia, October. Unobtrusive, but widespread. A lifer for me, though.

i-cfL8MqP-XL.jpg

333. (G9). Yellow-fronted Canary. Kotu, Gambia, November

i-WrwhJLx-L.jpg

334. (G9), Red-cheeked Cordon-Bleu. Kartong, Gambia, November

i-P2vbdRM-L.jpg

335. (G10). Scarlet-chested Sunbird. Kartong, Gambia, November. Only seen once, but it showed really well.

i-gdskcJ4-L.jpg

Beauties each and every one!

336 (G11). Splendid Sunbird. Kartong, Gambia, November. An immature bird. We did see the male briefly, but no photo opportunity

i-DcQBp8T-L.jpg

337 (G12). Northern Red Bishop. Kartong, Gambia. Used to be considered a subspecies of the Southern Red Bishop (Euplectes orix), but is now a separate species  (Euplectes franciscanus). Which is good for the count ;)

i-mqXftCh-XL.jpg

338 (G13) Black-winged Red Bishop. Kartong, Gambia, November. Very similar to the Northern Red Bishop, but the cap and forehead are red instead of black.

i-JJBBKdJ-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

339. (G14). Yellow White-eye. Kartong, Gambia, November. Not really sharp, but too cute to skip

i-wqLJL22-L.jpg

340 (G15). Piapiac. Kotu, Gambia, November. Funny name, which (according to wikipedia) has something to do with the fact that a French zoologist first considered it a sort of Senegalese magpie and (Pie du Sénégal/ Pica Senegalensis). Later, of course this was corrected, but the name stuck.

The immature birds have a red bill.

i-4qnfjsp-L.jpg

i-9tMfPFD-L.jpg