Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

357 (G32). Rose-ringed Parakeet. Kotu, Gambia, November. I could just as easily have travelled to Amsterdam or several other places in Holland to see this one. But somehow the Gambia seemed a more natural setting.

i-V74Tc2C-L.jpg

358 (G33). Western Plantain-eater. Kotu, Gambia, November. One of my target birds before I left for the Gambia. Well, it would be pretty hard to miss this noisy relative of the Turaco family.

i-q9fjSxJ-XL.jpg

i-bmx85jL-XL.jpg

359 (G34) Greater Blue-eared Starling. Kotu, Gambia, November. We did see it a number of times, but never a decent photo opprtunity.

i-5TRDvq6-L.jpg

360 (G35). Double-spurred Francolin. Kotu, Gambia, November. We saw it on the Faraja Golf course a few times. Always very shy, so this is a heavy crop.

i-tTqxMWk-L.jpg

361 (G36). Brown Babbler. Kotu, Gambia, November

i-jTC7tRN-L.jpg

362 (G37). Blackcap Babbler. Kotu, Gambia, November

i-Qf83GkT-L.jpg

363 (G38). Bearded Barbet. Kotu, Gambia, November. Another target. We saw it only once, but that was enough for a few shots.

i-PTGn4M2-XL.jpg

364 (G39). Greyish Eagle Owl. Farasutu Forest, Gambia, November. On the first day I was ill, I still tried to do the planned half-day trip with our guide. I told him to return to the hotel as I wasn't feeling well at all, but he insisted on showing me the owl first. With a local guide he drove to within 100 metres of the roosting place, so I would not have to walk far to see it. A dedicated guy!

i-NppZG4M-XL.jpg

365 (G40). Levaillant's Cuckoo. Farasutu, Gambia, November. Before driving to the owl, we gad first spent 20 minutes in the 'hide'. This hide consists of a few wooden benches, without any walls or fence, overlooking a few feeders in the forest. It is too dark to take photos, really, but I gave it a try for a record shot with the cuckoo anyway. 

i-7Z8ccRh-XL.jpg

Dave Williams

Record shot my ****! That's another cracker. You were lucky to get the Owl at low level, another beauty too but I hate to tell you that's where it always hangs out, very close to the parking area.:o I got Stone Partridge there too. The Francolin is a real tough target around Kotu, as you say, gone in a flash! You did well to get it out in the open.  

Oh, and the Barbet ! How good are that shot! I never see them anywhere near that close.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

but I hate to tell you that's where it always hangs out, very close to the parking area.:o

Ah, and that was me thinking it was special service....:)

Love the Barbet, what an extraordinary bird!

366 (G41) Pygmy Kingfisher. Farasutu, Gambia, November

i-tJJ8tRq-L.jpg

367 (G42). Red-eyed Dove. Kotu, Gambia, November. Quite common. After the guide told us that its song sounds like: 'I am the red-eyed Dove' (the syllables match the phrases) it became so much easier to recognize its sound.

i-tVtdCB5-XL.jpg

368 (G43). Fanti Saw-wing. Kotu, Gambia, November

i-vL92Zwt-L.jpg

369 (G44). Yellow-billed Kite. Kotu Gambia. The guides invariably call this a Black Kite and its status is still being discussed. I usually follow the IOC list ( even more so when it gives me an extra species ;)) and there it was split in 2010, as 'Milvus aegyptius'. In E-bird it is still a subspecies of the Black Kite, but also the Clements taxonomy states is as an independent species. I rest my case.....

i-GFL4xjc-XL.jpg

i-pJzPdk5-L.jpg370 (G45). Abyssinian Roller. Kartong, Gambia, November. The only one we saw on the trip.

Edited by PeterHG

371 (G46) Broad-billed Roller. Kartong, Gambia, November. I had seen it once before in South Africa, but did not manage a decent shot then. On our boat trip near Kartong we could get quite near this beautiful Roller.

i-dv3BVBS-XL.jpg

372 (G47). Palm-nut Vulture. Kartong, Gambia, November. On the same boat trip. Very distant and into the light, but I was quite happy with this lifer.

i-P7w6FxT-L.jpg

373 (G48). Pink-backed Pelican. Kotu, Gambia, November.

i-jFnNFF9-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

374 (G49). Royal Tern. Kartong, Gambia, November.

i-s8qQwc6-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

375 (G50). Northern Grey-headed Sparrow. Kartong, Gambia, November.

i-98NPQnq-L.jpg

Great additions Peter. I counted theYellow-billed Kite as a different species to the Black Kite.

The Broad-billed Roller is beautiful.

Dave Williams

Lovely additions Peter. The Broad-billed Rollers fly around Kotu Bridge every evening and sit in the tree by the bird guides hut.