PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

159 (CR 118). Magenta-throated Woodstar. Monteverde, Febr. The tiniest Hummingbird, chased away constantly by its larger cousins, so almost impossible to get a shot of.

spacer.png

160 (CR 119). Coppery-headed Emerald. Monteverde, Febr. Another tiny Hummingbird, endemic to Costa Rica. At the feeder again, I know...

spacer.png

161 (CR 120) Violet Sabrewing. Monteverde, Febr. One of the largest Hummingbirds.

spacer.png

162 (CR 121) Violet-headed Hummingbird. Monteverde, Febr. Another tiny species and one of the more uncommon ones at the cafe.

spacer.png

163 (CR 122) Purple-throated Mountain-Gem. Monteverde, Febr. These two photos show how a hummingbird can look completely different, jus by turning its head. It is the same bird in both shots. The second shot was taken only seconds after the first one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Time of the year does makes a difference, also in Costa Rica. Talking about HighISO but I can not detect the noise at all!

Dave Williams

I so want to have a Hummingbird experience....you are making me very envious Peter!

I like the names of the Hummers, Sabre-wing, Mountain Gem (excellent double shot BTW), Emerald and Woodstar. Brilliant! So descriptive and yet charming at the same time.

Nice photos as usual. Loved the two warblers.

16 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

you are making me very envious Peter!

You not need to be, Dave. Costa Rica is just one flight away. And with two coasts, there will be plenty of places for Claire to enjoy.

Stunning latest additions to the Costa Rica birds, Peter.

164 (CR 123) Lesser Violetear. Monteverde, Febr. Formerly known as Green Violetear, but split into two species.

spacer.png

165 (CR 124) Vaux's Swift. Monteverde, Febr. High up, but a lifer all the same

spacer.png

166 (CR 125) White-collared Swift. Monteverde, Febr. And the same goes for this second swift.

spacer.png

167 (CR 126). Masked Tityra. Monteverde, Febr. A walk in the lodge's grounds produced a few more additions.

spacer.png

168 (CR 127) Ovenbird. Monteverde, Febr. The name refers to the domed nest, which apparently looks like an oven.

spacer.png

169 (CR 128) Lesson's Motmot. Monteverde, Febr. Also known as the Blue-crowned or even Blue-diademed Motmot. Like all Motmots, a striking appearance.

spacer.png

Edited by PeterHG

We had booked half a day with a local guide, which turned out to be a good decision. Not necessarily because of the species count, but he took us to some unexpected places, was very knowledgable and good company. This is a scope shot with my phone so as not to disturb the nesting bird. Probably some 25 metres away.

170 (CR 129) Steely-vented Hummingbird. Monteverde, Febr.

spacer.png

171 (CR 130). Tropical Mockingbird. Monteverde, Febr. Our guide was really enthusiastic about this one, only the second sighting for him in this region. Far off, so a heavy crop.

spacer.png

spacer.png

172 (CR 131) White-eared Ground Sparrow. Monteverde, Febr.

spacer.png

173 (CR 132) Groove-billed Ani. Monteverde, Febr.

spacer.png

Our guide took us to a rather remote area near San Luis, where his family owned an extensive area in the mountains. We saw some good species there, among which this:

174 (CR 133) White Hawk. Monteverde, Febr. A true EBC, but it looks white, doesn't it...:)

spacer.png

Kitsafari

Stunning additions.  So loved and so jealous of the Hummings.

The star of the show there was this beautiful raptor. The only time we saw it in CR.

175 (CR 134) Ornate Hawk Eagle. Monteverde, Febr.

spacer.png

Great additions - I really like the Groove-billed Ani.

176 (CR 135) Yellow-throated Euphonia. Monteverde, Febr.

spacer.png