GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

I agree absolutely! The first step is always to age the beast, and the clean cinnamon colour tells us we've got a juvenile. Once that's sorted, Rainbirder's features are spot on. It's a beautiful shot showing everything you'd want to see!

:lol: I got as far as "harrier" and "looks like the Montagu in my book, but not the same".... and then... "but it doesn't look like any of the other harriers either... Oh, I give up!" Juveniles get me every time.

I think you are probably next, although we can wait for comfirmation from the man whose 'turn' I am taking, "TZBirder".

I'd go with juvenile Montague's harrier. It's the perfect match in my large Sasols.

I agree absolutely! The first step is always to age the beast, and the clean cinnamon colour tells us we've got a juvenile. Once that's sorted, Rainbirder's features are spot on. It's a beautiful shot showing everything you'd want to see!

I always try to do it the other way around - no doubt one of many things I am doing the wrong way.

I'm new at this so foregive me as I've picked a fairly easy one to start with but it often catches people out:

6808150905_db3044cd3b_o.jpg

Juvenile gymnogene?

Would help to mention the country. If it's a bird from east-Africa; I'm not that with birds of that area...

Well Jochen, you got that one quickly enough.

Cool! Will post a new one tonight.

Edit; dammit sorry folks I forgot. will be for tonight then.

Edited by Jochen

Here we go...

2_023.jpg

Cape Vulture?

Tee hee hee. Seems I fooled the three of you.

Any other guesses?

Tip; look at the dark eye.

Edited by Jochen

Dark eye -> Whitebacked vulture.

Oh dear!

I had convinced myself that the iris was on the pale side (sub-adult Cape Griffons have a darkish iris) but was in slight shade.

A White-backed this pale must be pretty ancient!

Oh dear!

I had convinced myself that the iris was on the pale side (sub-adult Cape Griffons have a darkish iris) but was in slight shade.

A White-backed this pale must be pretty ancient!

I agree with Rainbirder, but then I'm no expert.

Indeed, it's a whitebacked, and obviously a very old one! Never seen anything like it myself.

You were first, Sverker! Your turn!

So you get a video from Zambia - a little shaky but makes it just a little more difficult ...

Click "Tube" and you are able to watch it full-screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHdNk-09gfA&context=C35535adADOEgsToPDskIbWnDxbCPMCzOb64OFHw1a

Edited by Sverker

African Wattled Lapwing.

Right (if you mean Wattled Plover), that was a quickie ...

Over to you, Rainbirder.

This image was taken in Kenya where I have seen this bird by Lake Victoria and on the coast. Its range extends south through Tanzania into Mozambique and South Africa.

4673830386_08d080e2d2_o.jpg

Nice. See therem around here too. It's a tough, decayed, silty heron, I believe. [to give others the chance too!]

No takers yet despite TZ's crossword clue?

A wee olive coloured passerine.........or is it? -check out the toes. Then look at the bill, then the throat.

• 2 weeks later...

Another view of this bird. Two toes forward, two toes back. TZ Birder left a clue above (anagram).

6816361704_4b7373efdc_o.jpg

Scalythroated honeyguide.