GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

Is it by any chance a slate-coloured boubou?

Is it by any chance a slate-coloured boubou?

Or a Füllerborn's Black Boubou?

Or a Tropical Boubou that just survived a rainstorm? ;)

@Matt; thanks 4 the pic.

I don't know what it is. Used it as my first attempt to learn format for posting. Thanks for formating it. If I recall right, it was taken in Ruaha NP at the Ruaha Safari Lodge run by the Foxs.

Dick if the photo really was taken in Ruaha then that narrows it down quite a bit.

Based on the size, shape, colour and now location I’m pretty sure it has to be a slate-coloured boubou Laniarius funebris. It can’t be Fullerborn’s boubou because this is a purely montane species which in Tanzania only occurs in the Eastern Arc Mountains and besides is entirely black.

Or a Tropical Boubou that just survived a rainstorm? :unsure:

I know you were obviously joking about the tropical boubou Jochen but there are actually black morphs of this bird but again they’re entirely black and anyway they're only found in coastal Tanzania, Kenya and Somalia. :)

Unless anyone has any better suggestions I’ll add a new bird in a day or two.

Hey Inyathi,

No plz go ahead cuz you R absolutely right; it cannot be a Fullerborn!

Side question; did you choose your name because you went to Inyathi in Sabi Sands, or are you working there? Or is it perhaps Inyathi guest house in Knysna?

Thx,

J.

Thanks Jochen

Side question; did you choose your name because you went to Inyathi in Sabi Sands, or are you working there? Or is it perhaps Inyathi guest house in Knysna?

Thx,

J.

I chose the name just because I like it, I haven't been to either to either place in fact I haven't as yet set foot outside of an airport in South Africa, though I definitely intend to go before too long. Despite never having visited I've always been interested in the history and culture of SA as well as the wildlife of course, so maybe that's why I opted for a Zulu name. I also like the fact that various other languages use essentialy the same word for example one of the Kiswahili words for buffalo is nyati an indication of the shared origins of many of Africa's languages and people.

Back to birds does anyone know what this is?

gallery_6520_333_2452.jpg

Double banded courser?

Wilddog, I think that you are right.

Jan

kittykat23uk

I agree, that's what I would have suggested.

Yes you're all right, it is a double-banded courser taken in the Serengeti, I guess that was a little too easy, over to you Wilddog

Mine will be rather easy too, I do not have a lot of bird images so anyway here we go.

gallery_6103_363_164149.jpg

Edited by wilddog

It is easy, wilddog, but I hesitate to name the bird because I'm not hot on loading my photos! My son is not always around

to help. Yes, G.W., I know that the instructions are clear, but I'm just an old lady who's not so computer savy. I do like

knowing the bird, but don't like having to provide the next photo!

Jan

Since his cheeks aren't white... Red-crested Korhaan I guess.

Quite right Jochen, over to you!

kittykat23uk

Shelly's Starling?

Or is it Hilderbrandts starling? It looks a bit too orange to me for Shelley's but I may be wrong.

Edited by inyathi

It's a Hildebrandts, indeed. Your turn, Inyathi!

This one may be a little bit more difficult

gallery_6520_333_31514.jpg

This one may be a little bit more difficult

Obviously not

Yes Cabani's bunting

It WAS more difficult! The only reason I found it was because I saw that the beak was pinkish. Combine that with the colors on the body, and the lack of a band above the head...

New one, not too difficult...

04.jpg

I'm pretty sure I know what these are but I think I'll hold off for a while so someone else can have a go :D

kittykat23uk

is it Fan tailed Widowbird? (Red-shouldered?).

is it Fan tailed Widowbird?

Correct, kittykat! Your turn...